nonantibiotic properties of antibiotics

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here is something interesting I read -

The antibiotics act at the ribosomal level where they interfere with the protein synthesis of susceptible bacteria. They also have nonantibiotic properties, which are not well understood. These nonantibioitc properties include:
* Anti-inflammatory effects
* Inhibition of metalloproteinases (enzymes that inhibit collagen and gelatin production)
* Reduce new blood vessel formation (angiogenesis)
* Reduce programmed cell death (apoptosis)

ginner

Established Member
Reaction score
Is this for Roxithromycin? Could you please post the link to that article?

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here is the article -

Tetracycline

Tetracyclines are oral antibiotics often used to treat skin diseases. There has been over 50 years' experience with these medications, which were originally derived from soil bacteria Streptomyces aureofaciens.
The original base medicine ‘tetracycline’ is no longer available in New Zealand but its derivatives (doxycycline, lymecycline and minocycline) are readily available on prescription.

What are they used for?

Tetracyclines are broad spectrum antibiotics often used to treat skin, chest, urethral and pelvic infections.
They are also prescribed for acne, rosacea and perioral dermatitis. Other skin conditions that may improve with tetracyclines include:
* Hidradenitis suppurativa
* Blistering diseases such as bullous pemphigoid
* Sarcoidosis
* Pyoderma gangrenosum
* Sweet disease
* Pityriasis lichenoides chronica

Tetracyclines suppress but do not cure these conditions. Therefore these antibiotics may need to be continued for weeks, months or longer until the disease runs it course.

How do they work?

The antibiotics act at the ribosomal level where they interfere with the protein synthesis of susceptible bacteria. They also have nonantibiotic properties, which are not well understood. These nonantibioitc properties include:
* Anti-inflammatory effects
* Inhibition of metalloproteinases (enzymes that inhibit collagen and gelatin production)
* Reduce new blood vessel formation (angiogenesis)
* Reduce programmed cell death (apoptosis)

Dosage

Treatment of bacterial infection is generally for one to two weeks, but tetracyclines may be taken for longer if required.
Patients differ in the amount of tetracycline they need to control inflammatory skin diseases. A full daily dose of tetracycline is generally prescribed for the first few weeks or months to see how well it controls the skin problem. This full dose should be continued for most patients with acne. However, those with rosacea and perioral dermatitis may be able to reduce their dose at approximately monthly intervals.
* Tetracycline: 250-500mg four times daily
* Oxytetracycline: 250-500mg four times daily
* Demeclocycline: 150-300mg twice daily
* Doxycycline: 50-100mg once or twice daily
* Lymecycline: 300-600mg once or twice daily
* Minocycline: 50-100mg once or twice daily

There's a lag period of one to three weeks between the change in dosage and its effect on skin. If the skin problem becomes worse, return to the previous higher dosage and continue on it or as advised by your doctor.

Precautions

Tetracycline should be stored in a cool place out of direct sunlight. Outdated capsules or tablets should not be taken as they may cause kidney damage.
Tetracycline must not be taken by pregnant or breast-feeding women, or by children under twelve years, because it discolours growing teeth and may cause enamel hypoplasia (malformed permanent teeth). It can stain permanent teeth but this effect is usually temporary.
The base medication, tetracycline, should be taken with a glass of water on an empty stomach, half an hour before, or two hours after meals. This is because food prevents absorption of tetracycline into the bloodstream. Some people find this inconvenient, and others get indigestion unless it is taken with food. Minocycline and doxycycline are not affected by food and can be taken at mealtime. The water is very important to prevent ulceration of the oesophagus. Tetracyclines should not be taken at the same time as antacids and iron. If required, these can be taken at another time of day however.
Allergy is uncommon; it results in various types of skin rash, and rarely, liver disease. Tetracyclines may cause tummy upsets (nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea). Minocycline may occasionally cause severe headaches (raised intracranial hypertension) and has been reported to precipitate arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus, especially in young women. Minocycline is also very rarely associated with potentially fatal severe drug hypersensitivity syndrome, in which there is prolonged rash, fever, swollen lymph glands and internal organ failure (liver, lungs, heart, kidneys).
There is concern that longterm use of broad spectrum antibiotics may result in the appearance of resistant bacteria, which may be transferred to patients suffering potentially serious infections. Therefore, they are best avoided where other treatments are effective or the health concern is trivial.
Tetracycline may make the skin more sensitive to sunlight (photosensitivity); this effect depends on the variety of tetracycline and the amount taken. It is most likely with doxycycline and least likely with minocycline. If unexpected sunburn does occur, take the medication in the evening and avoid excessive sun exposure.
Because of fewer bacteria in the vagina, in women, tetracycline occasionally produces thrush, an overgrowth of candida yeasts. This results in genital inflammation, irritation and discharge. Oral thrush is less common. The antibiotics can usually be continued with appropriate treatment of the thrush with over-the-counter or prescribed vaginal antifungal cream, or if necessary, oral agents.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here is something else I just read in regards to antibiotics as a possible treatment for Androgenetic Alopecia.

ANTIBIOTICS AS POTENTIAL TREATMENT AGENTS

I recently came across a medication called Periostat for the treatment of periodontitis. I don't know why, but I had never heard of Periostat before. Anyhow, Periostat works in gum disease by inhibiting MMP (and thus collagenase), thereby preventing gum involution. After a quick search, I was shocked to find out what Periostat actually was: micro-dose oxycycline! That's right, a tetracycline antibiotic. The amount of doxycycline in Periostat is low enough that it is unable kill bacteria. In this case, it acts by MMP-inhibition.

As I have posted in the past, minocycline has been touted by some doctors as an effective treatment for halting male pattern baldness (minocycline also inhibits MMP). I can attest to this, since I have tried it myself and found to be the most effective treatment that I've tried to date. However, full doses of minocycline did a number on my brain (headaches, etc.). I am wondering now if micro-doses of either doxycycline or minocycline would be effective in male pattern baldness. The low doses may also limit the extent of side-effects.

Here is the last sentence of the abstract below:
"....CONCLUSIONS: Cytokine- and EGF-induced upregulation of MMP-9 in the lower epithelial compartment of the human hair bulb is a major mechanism through which hair follicle involution, observed in alopecia, may occur."
Kevin Davis

Identification of clustered cells in human hair follicle responsible for MMP-9 gelatinolytic activity: consequences for the regulation of hair growth.

Int J Dermatol 2001 Jun; 40(6):385-92.
BACKGROUND: The control of human hair follicle growth and differentiation is dependent upon several well-identified factors, including androgens, cytokines, and growth factors. In humans, alopecia androgenetica is a common aging process thought to be regulated through complex genetic imbalances, which also involve several of these crucial identified factors (and probably others not yet characterized), alone or in combination. Among these factors, epidermal growth factor (EGF), as well as pro-inflammatory cytokines, play a pivotal role, as evidenced by their direct inhibitory effects on hair growth both in vitro and in vivo. Following such treatments, the in vitro growth of hair follicles was rapidly arrested and deleterious modifications of hair morphology were also observed.

AIM: Because these cytokines act, at least partly, through the induction of matrix metalloproteinases (MMP), and because tissue remodeling occurs during the hair cycle, we attempted to identify and localize MMP in the human pilosebaceous unit. METHOD: We used zymography to observe human hair follicles in culture in vitro. RESULTS: We observed that human hair follicles in culture in vitro mainly and almost exclusively produce MMP-2 and MMP-9 gelatinolytic activities. Furthermore, after stimulation with EGF, tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), or interleukin-1alpha (IL-1alpha), MMP-9 production was strongly increased.

Using immunohistochemistry, we then precisely localized MMP-9 in the lower part of the inner root sheath (Henle's layer) of control human anagen hair follicles. CONCLUSIONS: Cytokine- and EGF-induced upregulation of MMP-9 in the lower epithelial compartment of the human hair bulb is a major mechanism through which hair follicle involution, observed in alopecia, may occur.

*Kevin Davis is a frequent and valued contributor to internet newsgroups for hairloss.