Non-toxic Glue For Hair Systems X X

Noah

Reaction score
A few people in recent months have expressed concerns about the toxicity of the glues and tapes available for hair systems, so I thought it would be useful to re-post the following information which was posted by another wearer a few years ago, about home-made "natural" glue made out of edible starches. I have not tried it personally, so if anyone tries it, please post a review.

Noah

----------------------------------------------------------

Miraculous natural glue you could eat, with 1 week solid hold and super-easy clean-up
Hi guys,

I thought I would share my find, since from time to time I hear people are having a hard time with glue clean-up. I also still remember and think about this nightmare some days even though it was 2 years ago. I think and hope many people will find this very useful( whether for the hassle of clean-up or health reasons). It's a miracle – 1 week strong bond with 2 minutes very easy clean-up. This is an all natural non-toxic glue, you could safely eat . Not to mention the whole hair-waring becomes A LOT cheaper(no traditional glues, solvents, ..+shipping costs).

The only down-side is that it's water soluble.

It's also a lot stronger than got2b glued … With got2b glued I only got 2-3 days solid bond... on day 3 my whole back area would detach when sleeping and the hairline would lift.

What is also great is that you don't need to shave, only buzz the hair.

I had a problem finding a good conventional glue that would hold for 1 week... They all became gooey on day 3 or 4, so after seeing how gooey it is, I already knew what a pain the clean-up is going to be. This glue is still rock-solid after a week. And the clean up is so easy - no solvents, no sticky fingers, no glue in the hair, just water.

I use this recipe:http://sustainableecho.com/homemade-natural-glue/

and here is how I make it :

Don't make too much at a time, as it will get runny in the fridge after a few months, so you will have to make a new one anyway.

I make it like this :

1 unit is 1,5dcl (0,15 liter)

In a bowl :
add 1unit of wheat flour (I find the best is white - Type 550) (I also heard white all purpose flour works great)
add 1/3 unit of sugar (I always use brown sugar, I rather put a bit more more than 1/3 than less)
add 0.75 unit of water
Add 1 table spoon of alcohol vinegar (most of the time I use 9% ... sometimes I even used apple cider vinegar, but I think it adds some color over time, OnceI also used a tea spoon of 25% vinegar essence with great results. I think vinegar just serves as a preservative).

Then stir really well. There shouldn't be any lumps. I think this is very important.

When the mixture is fine with no lumps, add the other 0.75 unit of water and stir well until evenly mixed. It's quite runny / liquidy at this point (can't find the right word).

Then pour this into a small pot or a pan over medium heat. And mix.. even though nothing is happening, keep mixing. You might think you need more heat, but give it time, then it will start to come together in lumps. At first you'll notice it on the end of the spoon. Keep stirring, The lumps will get bigger and bigger slowly over time. The lump will also build on the spoon. I shake the spoon, or use another spoon to get it back in the pot/pan and use the spoon to press it against the pan to break it apart a bit and mix it with the remaining liquidy stuff.

The goal is to not have any runny stuff in the pan. so when most of it is clumping together stir it really well (scoop it and stir) It must not sit a long time in one place..
Then put everything in a glass jar and close it so it doesn't dry out too much. after 20 mins I put it in the fridge.

How do you know you've got a good mixture : It's hard to describe you should try to apply it to your finger or hand- when you apply the glue, there shouldn't be any wads/rolls as you move your finger over the surface applying the glue. It should stick to the head and not be difficult to apply, but it also shouldn't be very wet (I guess this part is trial and error to get the right idea). If it's too wet I blow dry the glued area with medium heat for 10 seconds then I try to lightly touch it with my finger (until I see it won't seep through the lace and be very runny).. But if it's too wet I know the hairline will lift a bit on day 5. Otherwise my longest attachment was 10 days - it would last longer but I just couldn't continue the test any more.

Touch ups are very easy... I only did it once, to try... otherwise I get a solid 1 week hold out of this... just wet the hairline until it releases... clean the base and scalp with alcohol. Then reapply.

For the hairline - I start a few millimeters too far down, because my hair goes a bit to the front and then up... it's not straight up .. so these 2 millimeters I start from very thin to a normal layer.
Apply all over the scalp, then put on the system and press it in. On the hairline I push the majority in with the comb initially but not very much - I rather push in smaller parts at a time with a large tooth of the comb as the hairline can get this comb print if you press too hard.

The lace will seep in very well if the mixture is optimal... the lace will seep in and there will be no glue in the hair.. Then blow dry with medium heat for a few minutes - you have to bake the dough and then it's done.

You shouldn't wait too much(a minute or 2 is OK) if the glue is optimal and not too wet before you put the system on and start blow drying. But the great thing here is that after you're done with the whole attachment - if anything on the hairline isn't good when you're done - just add a bit of glue here and there where you need to, press and blow dry for a few seconds.

When I finish with the application, I put a bit of cream to the front line of the glue, where the glue starts – then the edge of the glue will “blend” seamlessly..sometimes I don't do that...

I have been doing this for around 2 years and I think blow drying doesn't affect the life of the hair system.

Here are some tips :

To clean up : just let the water run on the system, maybe help with your hands to get the water to the hairline, because when I'm leaning forward the hair is over the hairline and the water doesn't get to it very quickly. Just let it naturally release. Don't pull it off if you feel it's still holding on. It will happen in 2-3minutes max.

To remove the residue from the scalp just use shampoo and leave it on for a minute. it will all get off. Sometimes I start by cleaning the residue from the system and the water will already soften the glue so that I don't need to leave shampoo for even 1 minute... you'll see what works for you.

To remove the glue from the system : it's very easy and it takes a few seconds. Just use the water jet of the shower under a small angle to the base of the system. the residue will fall right off(if it doesn't, let the system sit for a minute, so the glue will soften and do this again). The base might stay a bit sticky if you press your hand against it, even though there is no residue on(nothing compared to traditional glues..). But I then put the system in a container with a mixture of water+shampoo (that's how I wash the system) and when it's done it's not sticky anymore.

I attached a close-up pic of the hairline.

soposopo

hl_zpsa6aafe53.jpg

Fanjeera

Reaction score
How long time does it take to make this glue? How do you shower and work out in it?

Sounds perfect otherwise.

Noah

Reaction score
As I said earlier, I haven't tried this glue myself, and I am not planning to. I am relaxed about using the chemical glues sold specifically for hair systems, and I haven't had any ill effects after 4 years. I was hoping that one of the posters who has expressed concern about toxicity would try this recipe and report back.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does not stick at all, I'm not sure if it was a joke or not.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
can I buy ready-made product like that?

It sounds like the paste we used to use when I was in nursery school when most of the kids (not me) ate more than wound up on the projects we were working on.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A few people in recent months have expressed concerns about the toxicity of the glues and tapes available for hair systems, so I thought it would be useful to re-post the following information which was posted by another wearer a few years ago, about home-made "natural" glue made out of edible starches. I have not tried it personally, so if anyone tries it, please post a review.

Noah

----------------------------------------------------------

Miraculous natural glue you could eat, with 1 week solid hold and super-easy clean-up
Hi guys,

I thought I would share my find, since from time to time I hear people are having a hard time with glue clean-up. I also still remember and think about this nightmare some days even though it was 2 years ago. I think and hope many people will find this very useful( whether for the hassle of clean-up or health reasons). It's a miracle – 1 week strong bond with 2 minutes very easy clean-up. This is an all natural non-toxic glue, you could safely eat . Not to mention the whole hair-waring becomes A LOT cheaper(no traditional glues, solvents, ..+shipping costs).

The only down-side is that it's water soluble.

It's also a lot stronger than got2b glued … With got2b glued I only got 2-3 days solid bond... on day 3 my whole back area would detach when sleeping and the hairline would lift.

What is also great is that you don't need to shave, only buzz the hair.

I had a problem finding a good conventional glue that would hold for 1 week... They all became gooey on day 3 or 4, so after seeing how gooey it is, I already knew what a pain the clean-up is going to be. This glue is still rock-solid after a week. And the clean up is so easy - no solvents, no sticky fingers, no glue in the hair, just water.

I use this recipe:http://sustainableecho.com/homemade-natural-glue/

and here is how I make it :

Don't make too much at a time, as it will get runny in the fridge after a few months, so you will have to make a new one anyway.

I make it like this :

1 unit is 1,5dcl (0,15 liter)

In a bowl :
add 1unit of wheat flour (I find the best is white - Type 550) (I also heard white all purpose flour works great)
add 1/3 unit of sugar (I always use brown sugar, I rather put a bit more more than 1/3 than less)
add 0.75 unit of water
Add 1 table spoon of alcohol vinegar (most of the time I use 9% ... sometimes I even used apple cider vinegar, but I think it adds some color over time, OnceI also used a tea spoon of 25% vinegar essence with great results. I think vinegar just serves as a preservative).

Then stir really well. There shouldn't be any lumps. I think this is very important.

When the mixture is fine with no lumps, add the other 0.75 unit of water and stir well until evenly mixed. It's quite runny / liquidy at this point (can't find the right word).

Then pour this into a small pot or a pan over medium heat. And mix.. even though nothing is happening, keep mixing. You might think you need more heat, but give it time, then it will start to come together in lumps. At first you'll notice it on the end of the spoon. Keep stirring, The lumps will get bigger and bigger slowly over time. The lump will also build on the spoon. I shake the spoon, or use another spoon to get it back in the pot/pan and use the spoon to press it against the pan to break it apart a bit and mix it with the remaining liquidy stuff.

The goal is to not have any runny stuff in the pan. so when most of it is clumping together stir it really well (scoop it and stir) It must not sit a long time in one place..
Then put everything in a glass jar and close it so it doesn't dry out too much. after 20 mins I put it in the fridge.

How do you know you've got a good mixture : It's hard to describe you should try to apply it to your finger or hand- when you apply the glue, there shouldn't be any wads/rolls as you move your finger over the surface applying the glue. It should stick to the head and not be difficult to apply, but it also shouldn't be very wet (I guess this part is trial and error to get the right idea). If it's too wet I blow dry the glued area with medium heat for 10 seconds then I try to lightly touch it with my finger (until I see it won't seep through the lace and be very runny).. But if it's too wet I know the hairline will lift a bit on day 5. Otherwise my longest attachment was 10 days - it would last longer but I just couldn't continue the test any more.

Touch ups are very easy... I only did it once, to try... otherwise I get a solid 1 week hold out of this... just wet the hairline until it releases... clean the base and scalp with alcohol. Then reapply.

For the hairline - I start a few millimeters too far down, because my hair goes a bit to the front and then up... it's not straight up .. so these 2 millimeters I start from very thin to a normal layer.
Apply all over the scalp, then put on the system and press it in. On the hairline I push the majority in with the comb initially but not very much - I rather push in smaller parts at a time with a large tooth of the comb as the hairline can get this comb print if you press too hard.

The lace will seep in very well if the mixture is optimal... the lace will seep in and there will be no glue in the hair.. Then blow dry with medium heat for a few minutes - you have to bake the dough and then it's done.

You shouldn't wait too much(a minute or 2 is OK) if the glue is optimal and not too wet before you put the system on and start blow drying. But the great thing here is that after you're done with the whole attachment - if anything on the hairline isn't good when you're done - just add a bit of glue here and there where you need to, press and blow dry for a few seconds.

When I finish with the application, I put a bit of cream to the front line of the glue, where the glue starts – then the edge of the glue will “blend” seamlessly..sometimes I don't do that...

I have been doing this for around 2 years and I think blow drying doesn't affect the life of the hair system.

Here are some tips :

To clean up : just let the water run on the system, maybe help with your hands to get the water to the hairline, because when I'm leaning forward the hair is over the hairline and the water doesn't get to it very quickly. Just let it naturally release. Don't pull it off if you feel it's still holding on. It will happen in 2-3minutes max.

To remove the residue from the scalp just use shampoo and leave it on for a minute. it will all get off. Sometimes I start by cleaning the residue from the system and the water will already soften the glue so that I don't need to leave shampoo for even 1 minute... you'll see what works for you.

To remove the glue from the system : it's very easy and it takes a few seconds. Just use the water jet of the shower under a small angle to the base of the system. the residue will fall right off(if it doesn't, let the system sit for a minute, so the glue will soften and do this again). The base might stay a bit sticky if you press your hand against it, even though there is no residue on(nothing compared to traditional glues..). But I then put the system in a container with a mixture of water+shampoo (that's how I wash the system) and when it's done it's not sticky anymore.

I attached a close-up pic of the hairline.

soposopo

hl_zpsa6aafe53.jpg
Where did you get this from? Is this poster still around? I would like to ask them a few questions on this?

Noah

Reaction score
Sorry, I can't remember, and it was years ago.

Actually I am surprised it doesn't stick at all, because it is clearly a starch-based glue, like wallpaper paste. Starch normally does stick very well (think of rice stuck on the bottom of a pan), although it is non-water-resistant.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't remember, and it was years ago.

Actually I am surprised it doesn't stick at all, because it is clearly a starch-based glue, like wallpaper paste. Starch normally does stick very well (think of rice stuck on the bottom of a pan), although it is non-water-resistant.
Yeah, I tried it twice, wont even stick paper together

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I tried it twice, wont even stick paper together

Just remember, if it were that simple the adhesive companies would make it that way. That's much cheaper than the chemicals and could be advertised as completely safe. :)

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just remember, if it were that simple the adhesive companies would make it that way. That's much cheaper than the chemicals and could be advertised as completely safe. :)
Yeah, for sure, I'm wondering why whoever came up with this is claiming it's so good, unless I got the amounts wrong? If you look at it it's in leaters, but I went off the article quantities

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
unit is 1,5dcl (0,15 liter)

In a bowl :
add 0.75 unit of water

It says on unit is 1,5 dcl? What is that in cups?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
unit is 1,5dcl (0,15 liter)

In a bowl :
add 0.75 unit of water

It says on unit is 1,5 dcl? What is that in cups?
That's just like people that say toothpaste is good for polishing your headlights and flour mixed with water is good for acne. It's just silly.