Non Single Grafts In Hairline, Is This Normal?

BBReal

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I got an FUT procedure done in January to correct my hairline, I went with a TOP recommended doctor, one of the most reputable. I am 5.5 months out and I am a little worried because a lot of the grafts on my hairline are not single and I am thinking it might make the appearance look pluggy. Does anyone else have experience with that? I have a lot of triple and doubles in the very front, is this normal. I read an article that said ONLY single grafts should be used for the front of the hairline. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Also another question I have is that I had very early growth and the grafts are now almost 2 inches long, but I dont see many smaller hairs, should more new growth appear after this or just graft maturation?

Thanks

Scoobysnack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my 1st post - short answer is yes.

I just had my FUT done 10/17/19. I asked them about this during the procedure... since I had 8 hours to kill.

When they remove your donor strip it gets divided and assiged to as many techs as they have working there (at this office they had about 7 or 8 girls working on dividing the grafts). Each tech takes their piece and disects it and removes the follicular units/grafts. They then put them in order (1, 2, 3 and rarely 4 or higher). Each tech then filled out their own chart describing how many they had and one of them would tally up the total count of each type (1, 2, 3 etc). In my case they said I had more 1's than usual. I asked that is good or bad and the response was something like, "its refreshing to have more 1's than usual". She then went on to describe how 1's are important for the contruction of the hairline to make it look natural and slowly blend it, but that they want 2s and 3's as they move back for the obvious density benefit. They said some people dont have many 1's in their donor area so they make do with whatever they get... they make the hairline with whatever 1's they get and then use of their 2's and then only use 3's if they have to.

So it depends on what they get from your donor area. The good thing about having few 1's is that you probably had plenty of 2's, 3's or 4's to give you more hair behind your hairline. I guess its a tradeoff and I doubt few people show up with the perfect ratio of 1's 2's and 3's.

WallaceMa76

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is not ideal, but it is not the end of the world either. Pics will help to evaluate where you are now. Also, single hair grafts are the most susceptible to failure and take the longest to grow. You growth the most within the next 3 months. So wait a bit longer to evaluate.

Some pics would help assess where you are at.