nohairnodandruff's story (Here's the jist of my dilema)

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
26 yrs old - I really didnt notice my hair thinning until about January. My Dad is partially bald, but my brother is 34 and he has no signs of male pattern baldness. Also, I believe my dad did not start losing his hair until he was about 40 yrs old. It seem to of all started maybe last year from October. I started thinking of all the reasons why I might have hairloss

-I just moved into a new Apt (I was thinking maybe the water supply had more chlorine or was contanimated when I showered)
-I was taking body building drugs at the time, my brain felt like it was fried all the time and now my memory has gone to crap!
-I had gotten my hair highlighted, they put my head under this heater for 45 mins and right after that, I had major major major shedding.
-I masterbate alot(Maybe this affects my hormone level?)

All in all I stopped the body building drugs, but my brain still feels stupid, my memory is shot and I am still losing my hair. I still masterbate. Can someone shed some light on what may be the possibility for my hair loss, or early hairloss? THANKS!

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Body building drugs could contain testosterone, in which case much of this extra testosterone which you are pumping into yourself is being converted into DHT which will be f*****g up your hair. The masturbation I would not worry about. There is no evidence that masturbation affects hairloss. Highlighting your hair will not affect the follicle health, I think, but it weakens the hair shaft and makes it more prone to breakage. Much of what you believe to be shedding may in fact be hairs breaking off, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The situation of your family vis a vis hairloss should not affect your decisions. If you feel your hair is going to pot and you want do something about it, then you should give finasteride and nizoral a go, maybe adding minoxidil and copper peptides if you feel like it.

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input! I dont know why but I am just naturally bigger than my brother and my dad. You suppose my male pattern baldness is taken on sooner because I am producing alot more testosterone then them?

Lopfraze

Established Member
Reaction score
iamnaked said:
The situation of your family vis a vis hairloss should not affect your decisions. If you feel your hair is going to pot and you want do something about it, then you should give finasteride and nizoral a go, maybe adding minoxidil and copper peptides if you feel like it.

Noooo. Surely thats incorect. If the decreasing quality and thinning of your hair is due to male pattern baldness then jumping on finasteride is the sensible thing to do. However if it is due to:

i) stress (cos of apartment moving) or
ii) breakage misinterpreted as hair loss (after highlighting) or
iii) body building drugs,

then finasteride would not be the way to go. [well maybe in the body building case, but it would seem more sensible to just drop the body building drugs than jump on finasteride].

I would suggest dropping the bodybuilding drugs (especially if they are f*****g you up in the head, as well as on top of it), and try to drop the stress from your life. Then if you're still loosing hair see a derm or jump on finasteride.

Oh, but nizoral is a good shampoo to use whether or not your hairloss is male pattern baldness or not. Also i don't think masturbation has any effect on hairloss either. So wank away!

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Lopfraze is probably right that some caution is advisable because of the possible risk of side effects from finasteride, but it remains a generalised truth that if you think you are losing hair, in the majority of cases this is male pattern baldness, or something which aggravates male pattern baldness not stress or environmental factors.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

I would guess that 99% of people who think they are balding, are in fact balding. It is rare that one is suffering through a stress related hairloss (known as Telogen Effluvium) but I suppose it does happen so one has to consider it.
Looking at one's immediate family is usually a good "indicator" as to whether one will go bald, but the gene can show itself with anyone and at different ages.
If you believe you are balding, then there are treatment options (finasteride, minoxidil, nizoral. spironolactone etc.). Do some research.

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys!! I started thinking it was some of the hair products I used, or maybe the Apt water supply! I started finasteride a month ago and noticed some shedding. You know that would be so amazing if we can invent a vacination at child birth for male pattern baldness! Protects you against DHT! w00t