Nobody here cares about side effects

cat3appr

Reaction score
guys, I don't know what to think... here it seems that no one cares abot the side effects of finasteride , while after a selective research I've found those objective medical proofs.... no opinions, but proofs from tests... i don't think Pitt and Tom Curise would go for it and loose the libido

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20956649
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21418145
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481923

I dumped finasteride 2 months ago after 2 months of constant use.... now I'm only on minoxidil 5%... result, no difference compared to when I was using finasteride ... the hair are getting better just with minixidil for me.
If someone can bring here some medical experiemnt, like those above, that Finasteride doesn't affect sexual life, I'll be more than glad to start using it again

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
guys, I don't know what to think... here it seems that no one cares abot the side effects of finasteride , while after a selective research I've found those objective medical proofs.... no opinions, but proofs from tests... i don't think Pitt and Tom Curise would go for it and loose the libido

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20956649
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21418145
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481923

I dumped finasteride 2 months ago after 2 months of constant use.... now I'm only on minoxidil 5%... result, no difference compared to when I was using finasteride ... the hair are getting better just with minixidil for me.
If someone can bring here some medical experiemnt, like those above, that Finasteride doesn't affect sexual life, I'll be more than glad to start using it again

the debate on possible Finasteride side effects has been debated here endlessly. just look through the archives in the side effects forum.

did you dump finasteride because you experienced side effects, out of interest, or because you got scared by what you read on the internet?

cat3appr

Reaction score
Ya it has been debated endlessly, but I don't care about opinions, I was looking for medical proofs. I found medical proofs about finasteride having side effect on sexual life, so no questions and opinions about that, but I didn't find medical proofs of finasteride not having those side effects, period. For me this is an objective reason to stop taking it, but again, if one day they will publish a medical experiment about finasteride not killing sexual drive I'll be more than happy to start using again. I dumped finasteride because I got scared vs those medical proofs ( not opinions) now I'm feeling my libido not being 100% . I used finasteride for an entire month before dumping it, it was last jan, and now I feel my sexual drive is not as it was before, period.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya it has been debated endlessly, but I don't care about opinions, I was looking for medical proofs. I found medical proofs about finasteride having side effect on sexual life, so no questions and opinions about that, but I didn't find medical proofs of finasteride not having those side effects, period. For me this is an objective reason to stop taking it, but again, if one day they will publish a medical experiment about finasteride not killing sexual drive I'll be more than happy to start using again. I dumped finasteride because I got scared vs those medical proofs ( not opinions) now I'm feeling my libido not being 100% . I used finasteride for an entire month before dumping it, it was last jan, and now I feel my sexual drive is not as it was before, period.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
there's no medical 'proof' than finasteride will definitely give you side effects. There's evidence that a small percentage of men may experience side effects, but how badly and how permanently is hotly debated.

practically every medication in existence has the possibility of producing sides. Does that mean you never take any medication or never have any medical operations because of the small potential risks? Do you never travel in a car or fly on an airplane because of the small risk that it might crash and you'll die? I'm willing to bet travelling in a car or even just walking down the street is statistically riskier than taking Finasteride.

cat3appr

Reaction score
ehmm.. can you quote the part in which I said that if you take finasteride you die? cause I can't find it :D
No medical evidence ah? ... " Subjects reported new-onset persistent sexual dysfunction associated with the use of finasteride: 94% developed low libido, 92% developed erectile dysfunction, 92% developed decreased arousal, and 69% developed problems with orgasm" (**** me!) .... 2 clinical experiments, (see above) same story: persistent sexual disfunctions.
Until official sources won't produce at least a couple of medical evidences in which it is demonstrated that finasteride doesn't affect libido I'll stay away from it. give me a shout when they're published ;)

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
oh God. not the Irwig study again. :facepalm:

that study has been completely discredited many times on here.

but by all means - don't take finasteride. you don't sound like an appropraite candiate for it anyway

are you another sock from propecia'help'.com by any chance?

cat3appr

Reaction score
no darling, I do want to continue with finasteride, in fact can you post the documents that discredited those studies?

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
no darling, I do want to continue with finasteride, in fact can you post the documents that discredited those studies?

What you're asking for are sources that specifically discredit this study? That doesn't exist. But it also doesn't automatically mean the study is accurate or correct. That's a common argument that a lot of religious people make. "Prove that god doesn't exist!"

None of the Irwig studies were medical experiments. They were phone interviews with men who were experiencing sexual dysfunction, who all had taken finasteride at some point in their life. The study didn't make mention to the fact that sexual dysfunction is common the general population, and since millions of men take finasteride, their symptoms might have been caused by something else. Dr Irwig had no reason to conclude finasteride caused the symptoms any more than Tylenol that they took for a headache. They were case studies, but certainly not medical experiments.

I'm not saying the studies are bad, because they shine light on the potential for these symptoms. But of course, people read into them so much and consider them irrefutable proof when that simply isn't the case.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
You need to actually READ the studies that you are quoting. Like in the Irwig study: "We conducted standardized interviews with 71 otherwise healthy men aged 21-46 years who reported the new onset of sexual side effects associated with the temporal use of finasteride, in which the symptoms persisted for at least 3 months despite the discontinuation of finasteride."

So, just to spell it out for you they did a stud on men that had ALREADY REPORTED HAVING SEXUAL SIDE EFFECTS. You can not use this as ANY SORT OF SOURCE in your argument. That's like taking a survey of 71 fat people, then saying "everyone in the world is fat".

All you're doing is listening to the scaremongers. You're not listening to anything that anyone else here is saying, unless it's something scary about side effects. I've been on finasteride for 6 years, and I don't have any problems. I have 4 friends that I know of that are on finasteride, and they also have no problems. My younger brother is on finasteride, and he has no problems. I'm sure I could find 71 people with no problems, can I then make a case study and say "100% of people on finasteride don't have problems"?

One of the other studies you sources used 3900+ men in their study (which included a CONTROL GROUP, something the other study did not) and they found that: "
The risk of discontinuing treatment because of sexual adverse effects was similar to that of placebo" IE: Pretty damn safe.

All you're doing is scaring yourself and running the risk of losing YOUR hair. You not taking finasteride really affects none of us on here. If you don't want to take it....ok. That's not going to affect me in any way at all, we're just trying to help.

And, since you're all about number and stuff, think about this....today 115 people (on average) will get in a car and will have their life snuffed out in a wreck. But you know what, I bet you're going to get in a car today.

cat3appr

Reaction score
guys, every other post in the forums is about someone experiencing side effects on finasteride, related to decrease on libido. For sure not all those who are taking finasteride will experience decrease or total loss of libido, but am I going to risk my sexual life in order to try keeping some of my hair? no thanks. I started with topical spironolactone cream, let's see what happens.

today 115 people (on average) will get in a car and will have their life snuffed out in a wreck. But you know what, I bet you're going to get in a car today.
sure! let's make a ratio and compare: # of people driving / # people died in accidents and people in finasteride / people with libido side after taking in finasteride :D

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
guys, every other post in the forums is about someone experiencing side effects on finasteride, related to decrease on libido.

that's because

a) people who do get sides are likely to seek out help from a site like this. The majority who don't get sides are out living their life enjoying waves of glorious, shimmering hair tumbling down their shoulders

b) most of the posts are by people who think they're getting side effects when they're actually just letting their paranoia get the better of them.

c) the rest are bogus 'stories' by Propeciahelpers designed to scare as many people as possible away from using finasteride.

, but am I going to risk my sexual life in order to try keeping some of my hair? no thanks. I started with topical spironolactone cream, let's see what happens.

good luck. I hope it works for you.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
guys, every other post in the forums is about someone experiencing side effects on finasteride, related to decrease on libido. For sure not all those who are taking finasteride will experience decrease or total loss of libido, but am I going to risk my sexual life in order to try keeping some of my hair? no thanks. I started with topical spironolactone cream, let's see what happens.

sure! let's make a ratio and compare: # of people driving / # people died in accidents and people in finasteride / people with libido side after taking in finasteride :D

The sides are quite real, albeit for a relatively small percentage of individuals.

However if you were to start taking propecia, paranoid about side effects from the beginning then your chances of experiencing them would increase dramatically.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd have no sex life if I was bald thus, finasteride.

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
that's because

a) people who do get sides are likely to seek out help from a site like this. The majority who don't get sides are out living their life enjoying waves of glorious, shimmering hair tumbling down their shoulders

b) most of the posts are by people who think they're getting side effects when they're actually just letting their paranoia get the better of them.

c) the rest are bogus 'stories' by Propeciahelpers designed to scare as many people as possible away from using finasteride.

good luck. I hope it works for you.

Stated like a real drug addict...or even worse, a drug pusher. Heavens forbid!

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
Stated like a real drug addict...or even worse, a drug pusher. Heavens forbid!

yeah I sell Propecia on the street corner and when I get home I crush it up and snort it. I'm not proud of my lifestyle but that's the way I am.

still, at least the drugs I 'push' actually work. Pass me that Aged Garlic and Turmeric spliff will you...

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah I sell Propecia on the street corner and when I get home I crush it up and snort it. I'm not proud of my lifestyle but that's the way I am. Still, at least the drugs I 'push' actually work. Pass me that Aged Garlic and Turmeric spliff will you...

Oh, your drugs "work" alright, Huckleberry. Boy, how could any man resist the benefits of a lowered libido and C cup bras.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yeah I sell Propecia on the street corner and when I get home I crush it up and snort it. I'm not proud of my lifestyle but that's the way I am.

still, at least the drugs I 'push' actually work. Pass me that Aged Garlic and Turmeric spliff will you...

:laugh:

Jrthomas85

Reaction score
Oh, your drugs "work" alright, Huckleberry. Boy, how could any man resist the benefits of a lowered libido and C cup bras.

You say this as if these side effects are guaranteed or inevitable. They aren't. It is unfortunate if anyone experiences side effects from a drug, but I don't understand the fear mongering or dissuading you see some people engaging in with finasteride. If you personally got side effects and discontinued use or don't want to risk it, then that's your choice. No need to try and push that attitude onto others who want to try what might be their best bet at fighting hair loss. It's one thing to share your personal experiences and another to just throw out these risks as if they are definite and universal.