No talk about Acell experiment here?

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dr. Robert Jones, a hair transplant surgeon, is performing an experiment on scar tissue regeneration at humans using Acell powder. He is keeping a live blog about the experiment.

http://www.drrobertjones.com/acell.html

Michael Barry what do you think? Does this have a chance of growing back hair in the previously scar tissue? Do you think that something should be done different in the experiment?

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder what will happen if it works ....

Though that scar is gashy as f*ck! I don't know if i'd let someone cut me that deep. :shakehead:

Though maybe with some drugs :punk:

Interesting, though I wish Follica had a live blog like this with their trials.

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some.... I'll have to ask my dad.

My dad is not a vet, but he works in the Diary industry as a truck driver and he owns cows (he has a few now, he sold them all) and they get hurt so a person that supplies medical drugs for the dairy is his friend and buys stuff from him.

Well one time we were in the back yard cutting trees down with a chainsaw (.... i was picking it up actually) and he hit his skin with the chainsaw and cut a nice looking gash. I told him that i'd get the truck to drive him and get it stitched up, he laughed and went into the back and got some powder. Again it can be something else, I dunno how rare Acell is to get. Though he healed fine and doesn't' seem to have a scar.

Should I actually bother and try to get some. I'm not going to cut myself and test it. :badmood:

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe worth investigating... though Acell is pretty new still even in the vet world. I'd be surprised if he just happened to have some laying around.

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
Me too, it could have been something else, possibly to stop bleeding only. Is A-Cell a powder?

I'll talk to him about what it was when I see him.

michael barry

Reaction score
Im hopeful as everyone else.

To be honest, it would be interesting to see this tried on a man with a strong donor area, the suture left a half inch or so open and covered in the matrix. Just think if the new skin grew in with more donor-area-like hair. It would be wonderful.

There are some excellent pictures of ACELL's incredible results with animals (especially the cat and the horse) on their website. A couple of pictures in particular are very impressive to me:
http://www.acell.com/lucille.php

http://www.acell.com/twinkie.php

http://www.acell.com/classy.php

http://www.acell.com/reality.php

The man Jones is trying it with has some extensive scarring. Im hoping that the matrix can induce donor area tissue to grow where the skin was opened, but in the back of my mind Im afraid that if the matrix instructs the cells to regenerate the kind of tissue that was opened, it might grow a lot of tissue that looks rather like scar tissue. I hope that isn't the case though. I feel for this man. I hope it works for his sake.

Everybody should give a tip of the hat to Tornonto's Dr. Robert Jones though. If this DOES work...............he will have moved hair transplantation miles forward in the ability to regenerate at least some of the donor area without/with much less scarring.

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How would you characterize or define "strong donor area"? Like relatively thick hair? I guess maybe what I'm asking is how you would define weak donor area?

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
Mr. Barry, do you think it would be hair related if researchers or docs tested Acell on hairy legs? It would be much less noticeable and it could be tested on a small test-group, and no one would be needing a scar-reduction surgery if Acell procedure didn't work.

The Dr Jones test subject(a real brave man by the way!) has somewhat damaged skin around the Acell test-area that could compromise or at least not make him the ideal candidate as a test-subject. But if it could be tested on hairy legs it would at least show the effect of Acell before testing it on people with a good donor area.

michael barry

Reaction score
Mr. Barry, do you think it would be hair related if researchers or docs tested Acell on hairy legs? It would be much less noticeable and it could be tested on a small test-group, and no one would be needing a scar-reduction surgery if Acell procedure didn't work.

The Dr Jones test subject(a real brave man by the way!) has somewhat damaged skin around the Acell test-area that could compromise or at least not make him the ideal candidate as a test-subject. But if it could be tested on hairy legs it would at least show the effect of Acell before testing it on people with a good donor area.

Jones wants to test it on someone else also after this guy...............................Jones has had an hair transplant himself, and is a NW3.5 or so natually, so I promise you this Doctor would like to be able to "make" more donor hair. Jones has a blog about his own hair transplant on his site. He's a good Doctor with a good reputation. He hopes this will be able to work. ACELL is being looked at for wound-healing in humans now. These things typically move slow though. I'd like to see a regular strip transplant closed with ACELL and left a quarter of an inch or so open.......................if hair skin grows between the open suture, it would be great. If a big wide scar formed (wouldn't be the first time), then a Doctor could go back and cut it out and resuture it shut the normal way. Only 3 or 4 guys would be all that were needed to really answer the question conclusively. If it didn't work on any of them, then we'd know one way or another. It would be extremely good for the hair transplant industry if this could work, because it would represent a multiplication of the donor area "once" anyway, and that would be all most guys would need in the age of finasteride.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
You can see hair growing at the edge of the wound, which is a great sign

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
O.O imagine how much unlimited donor transplants will cost. :shakehead: whys god whys!

I would think that would lower the price, the only reason they charged so much imo was for quality due to limited donor hair. If they can use 10,000 grafts, is it really skill or is it just placing them in the right place?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Any fresh news???

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Bud!!

Fred

amsch

Reaction score
And, do you guys think it will work? Would be great though, the first little "cure" :punk:

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
amsch said:
And, do you guys think it will work? Would be great though, the first little "cure" :punk:

Looks pretty damn good for me so far..

amsch

Reaction score
Lol, look how low the interest is around here. Imagine if it would work (like regenerating 80% of the donor area) and nobody would even care.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
They should add the Follica name to the subject lol