No results after 5+ months on Rogaine Foam

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
hi there, advice if you please -

i started minoxidil (rogaine foam) on the 13th of august last year - meaning it's been a little under 5 and a half months i guess of using it. in that time i've missed maybe 3 applications, top, and they weren't back to back. main area i'm using it for is my hairline, which i guess is an NW2 - maybe a 3. also using it in my vertex but not expecting results to be so visible there as i have long and still relatively thick hair.

problem is - i've seen pretty much 0 benefit from it at all. on my left temple there's some not particularly thick hair about a half centimetre long, on the right side which is doing better i've got maybe - maybe a centimetre of thin looking hair there. that's it. i was looking for advice on what and when and all that kinda thing to expect from rogaine foam - these 'results' that i have now, i seemed to have gotten them by about 3 months in and they just haven't seemingly improved a great deal if at all since then.

is it worth continuing? just y'know - the general questions really, if you've used it before then what kind of thing did you see, that kinda thing. cause this is really, really uninspiring.

Back_2_Basics

Reaction score
Well, Rogaine can thicken up a weak hairline and improve the appearance, but it won't magically fill up those receded temples and turn you into NW1, man. What it can do for you is thicken up those borderline thinning regions that are not yet completely bald

Gizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
are you using it twice daily or only once ? do you have short or long hair - do you keep it out of your hair and into the roots ? are you rubbing it on the scalp ? how much material do you use ?
here is a video of my applying it:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/66595-minoxidil-application-tips-(VIDEO)

I'm facing the same problems as you, only I didn't see any results like you mentioned on your temple ... but than again , I'm have the ludwig pattern and thinning on one side more than the other

oofah

Reaction score
I think a problem with a lot of topicals is penetration. i'm just waiting for a few mail deliveries and will start minoxidil injections in the scalp in about a week.

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
i've been using it twice daily, i have medium / long hair. i guess about 4 inches long, 5 maybe. curly. it tends to feel a lot more efficient to apply it when my hair is slightly damp.
i think i'm going to stop using rogaine in a few months if i'm still not impressed - i have about a can and a half left of this stuff and then will reload one more time and if nothing's happened still i'm jumping off. my hair seems thinner than ever, if i'm honest.

jokkepappa

Reaction score
I'd advice you to try the liquid for a month or two and see if anything happens. If no regrowth occurs, you will know it's not the foam that isn't working. And from my own subjective experience the liquid might hold more potential for regrowth than the foam, although I can't prove that.

A

andrew lincoln

Give it at least a year, I think it's pretty much necessary with any hair loss treatment.

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
jokkepappa, you are right because the propylene glycol in the solution is to help it penetrate the skin and therefore it works better than the foam. The foam does not have this, and a lot of people including myself, get an itchy scalp from the solution and it's pg. I use the foam and admit the solution gives better results, but with the price of an itchy scalp.

Gizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
....And from my own subjective experience the liquid might hold more potential for regrowth than the foam....

what makes you say that ?

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Same problem as the OP, 5 months, no response to minoxidil, no vellus hair, shedding or any of the most minute possible difference. Only continuing because of the dermarolling.

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi there, advice if you please -

i started minoxidil (rogaine foam) on the 13th of august last year - meaning it's been a little under 5 and a half months i guess of using it. in that time i've missed maybe 3 applications, top, and they weren't back to back. main area i'm using it for is my hairline, which i guess is an NW2 - maybe a 3. also using it in my vertex but not expecting results to be so visible there as i have long and still relatively thick hair.

problem is - i've seen pretty much 0 benefit from it at all. on my left temple there's some not particularly thick hair about a half centimetre long, on the right side which is doing better i've got maybe - maybe a centimetre of thin looking hair there. that's it. i was looking for advice on what and when and all that kinda thing to expect from rogaine foam - these 'results' that i have now, i seemed to have gotten them by about 3 months in and they just haven't seemingly improved a great deal if at all since then.

is it worth continuing? just y'know - the general questions really, if you've used it before then what kind of thing did you see, that kinda thing. cause this is really, really uninspiring.

Same problem as the OP, 5 months, no response to minoxidil, no vellus hair, shedding or any of the most minute possible difference. Only continuing because of the dermarolling.

Did anyone of you every got results? If not, at what month did you stop?