No Recovery Following Shed, Strange Patch Of Short Hair

couldbebetter

Reaction score
So I started Minoxodil a bit over a year ago. I shed, and then a few months later saw some regrowth. I don't think my hair actually got much thicker, but it looks much healthier and darker - even the hairs I'm losing are much thicker and a bit longer than they were before. I lose very little in the way of short, wispy hairs, or pale hairs, unlike before where most hairs were very brittle, short or thin.

A few months ago, about a year after I started, I experienced a shed. I'd heard that this can happen and assumed my hair would come back. However, it doesn't appear to have made much of a recovery. I'm not losing more hair, as far as I can tell, but things aren't improving either. It seems to have reverted almost back to where I started, with my hairline starting to creep behind my widow's peak.

Before the shed I got a haircut, and my hair actually looked okay. Hairline was a mess of course, I don't have much hope there, but overall density was more or less acceptable. I got a haircut a couple of weeks ago and it was a travesty.

I've even lost a lot of the hairs that I was pretty confident were on their way back. Obviously they were mostly shorter and thinner, but they appeared pretty healthy. Most of them disappeared in short order.

I stopped using Nizoral (I ran out and just didn't get more) not long after the shed so could that be the cause? I started with Nizoral and saw pretty good results with Nizoral alone before I started on Minoxodil. I was always given the impression that it didn't really help all that much, and that it was only good for controlling inflammation and so on, so I thought getting more wouldn't really be necessary. Is it possible I was wrong? I know Nizoral is supposed to be an anti-DHT thing, and I'm not up for using finasteride.

What's more is that I have this bizarre patch of short hair on my head. It's just a few cm long and seems to be growing extremely slowly. Part of me is worried it's the beginnings of a bald spot, but I asked my barber if I had a bald spot at the back and he said "no.". On this patch there are absolutely no longer hairs - they're all short. It's a pretty big patch as well, and it's asymmetrical - the patch is on the top/back of my head to one side, but it isn't present on the other side. The hairs are all healthy, and it doesn't appear to be much, or any, thinner than the rest of the hair on my head. I have no explanation for how or why this happened, but it looks horrible.

So, in short, is Nizoral more effective (for me, at least) than I thought it was? Why would I have a random patch of short hair?

couldbebetter

Reaction score
I just examined my hair up close with one of those magnifying mirrors. I don't seem to have many tiny hairs on my head. My general hair density seems to be around half, maybe slightly less, of that of the sides, but it seems to all be long, thick (ish) hairs. Now I have found some short thin hairs here and there, but I can't find very many, and there are lots of short, thick hairs near the hairline but they used to be accompanied by a ton of shorter, thinner ones - no discolouration, all dark. It's as If I lost an undercoat of fine hairs, and am only left with longer, healthier hairs. That's more or less what happened with my first shed - I lost a metric ton of small hairs along with an increase in the loss of healthier hairs.

Could it be that the Nizoral really was helping? Like it was providing that extra little push? 2% of course, so it's prescription (the main reason why I didn't bother to get more. It's one of the "big 3" for a reason, after all, and as I said before it helped reduce hair loss on its own before I moved on to Minoxodil. I got a prescription the other day for Nizoral, so I'll be going back on it soon - when I can pick it up. My psoriasis has been starting to bother me again as well (why I was prescribed it) so it should deal with that too.

I'm just scared I'm being overly optimistic, or I'm deluding myself. I guess that's pretty common here. People are either over-optimistic or depressingly pessimistic. I don't even know why I post here, it doesn't make me feel better. Still puzzled about that short patch, though.