No more shedding after stopping propecia

Dude01

Reaction score
I visited a hair doctor and told him my story, I've been on finasteride 1mg since Jan 2013 and it has just ruined my hair... Still somewhat unnoticeable but it really hasnt helped anything and definitely made my situation worse. ( I also use 5% minoxidil on vertex)
I was put on a thyroid medication about 1 year ago and i stopped it after my hair fall began 6months into treatment with levothyroxine .. He told me that tampering with the hormones is very likely to have caused my hairloss ... so i figured, propecia is only tampering with it even more, and if this is due to a hormone disturbance than I am only worsening the situation.
Here's my reasoning... Those who say, "your hair shed is a good sign!! Keep it up!!" Are usually the ones who only shed for a short while not months and months of shedding daily. . . and I don't understand the big deal about stopping the medication and seeing how your hair shed and progression is thereafter (you can always re-start the meds).. I really do feel that some people are bad candidates for this medication if they have underlying causes such as a very fragile hormonal system. . . Regardless if they are suffering from male pattern baldness or any other thyroid problem... .My thyroid is back to a regular level but that doesn't mean my hormones are back to normal... my plan is to give it a couple months and see what happens...

So far its been about 5 days since i stopped finasteride and my hairfall has stopped... I told my doctor that this whole "Shedding is good" theory is crap considering my hair shed was steady and NO new hair was coming back .......

Thats my rant. thanks.:jump:

Dude01

Reaction score
I would agree that 5 days is rather soon to notice any significant change, but its happening in real time and it's very apparent that I loosing MUCH less hair.

In addition, I also received my blood tests back and both my testosterone and DHT levels were above normal limits (by a few digits, nothing dramatic) So im venturing to guess that propecia had the opposite effect.

In all, I am going to remain off the drug and see in my hormones stabilize and hairgrowth resumes.

cbtrc

Reaction score
Hey dude! How's it going? I've been on Propecia since the January 2013 too. First 3 months it was fine, I had a great regrowth (together with minoxidil). But since the mid of April I started shedding massive amounts of hair all over the head, even from the back. It has never been like that before. Today is 1st of September and my shed still goes on. Hair is getting thinner and thinner- it is obvious. My theory is that first 3 months Propecia wasn't working (it needs some time to kick in) and minoxidil gave me a great regrowth (been using minoxidil since Dec 2012). But in April finasteride has finally kicked in and since then my hair gets worse and worse every month. I am already below December 2012 baseline, that's when I started treating my hair loss.

irishdub

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey dude! How is it going? I've been on Propecia since the January 2013 too. First 3 months it was fine, I had a great regrowth (together with minoxidil). But since the mid of April I started shedding massive amounts of hair all over the head, even from the back. It has never been like that before. Today is 1st of September and my shed still goes on. Hair is getting thinner and thinner- it is obvious. My theory is that first 3 months Propecia wasn't working (it needs some time to kick in) and minoxidil gave me a great regrowth (been using minoxidil since Dec 2012). But in April finasteride has finally kicked in and since then my hair gets worse and worse every month. I am already below December 2012 baseline, that's when I started treating my hair loss.

Same happened to me. In March 2011, I began propecia and minodoxil. My regime was 1.5ml Rogaine in the morning and then same at night. 1.25g of finasteride daily. After two weeks, my hair began thickening, 6 weeks, better again and after ten weeks, I couldn't believe my eyes, hair much thicker, looked much fuller, regrowth and easier to style. My doctor had told me propecia and minodoxil when used together, really compliment eachother.

I read so much online that propecia takes 6-12 months to see anything, I thought I must have been very lucky, a very, very quick responder. Well at the three month mark, my hair began to shed and shed right up until the end of that year and continued right up until about the following summer. A really, really bad shed. Not only that, but it thinned my hair very much and left me with diffuse hair.

27 months later, my hair quality is worse than before I started propecia, hair quantity down as I reckon only about 40% at best of my shed grew back. I'm still on it, as I am now shed free for a year but thinking of switching to avodart.

cbtrc

Reaction score
Same happened to me. In March 2011, I began propecia and minodoxil. My regime was 1.5ml Rogaine in the morning and then same at night. 1.25g of finasteride daily. After two weeks, my hair began thickening, 6 weeks, better again and after ten weeks, I couldn't believe my eyes, hair much thicker, looked much fuller, regrowth and easier to style. My doctor had told me propecia and minodoxil when used together, really compliment eachother.

I read so much online that propecia takes 6-12 months to see anything, I thought I must have been very lucky, a very, very quick responder. Well at the three month mark, my hair began to shed and shed right up until the end of that year and continued right up until about the following summer. A really, really bad shed. Not only that, but it thinned my hair very much and left me with diffuse hair.

27 months later, my hair quality is worse than before I started propecia, hair quantity down as I reckon only about 40% at best of my shed grew back. I'm still on it, as I am now shed free for a year but thinking of switching to avodart.
Wow, it's like we are mirroring each other, exactly the same experience. Thanks for posting. I have stopped Propecia 5 days ago, so far nothing to report, I still shed tons of hair, but I will keep my eye on it. I have also started using Lipogaine twice a day in the beginning of August, hope to see some growth soon.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, it's like we are mirroring each other, exactly the same experience. Thanks for posting. I have stopped Propecia 5 days ago, so far nothing to report, I still shed tons of hair, but I will keep my eye on it. I have also started using Lipogaine twice a day in the beginning of August, hope to see some growth soon.

You have two variables here. Minoxidil and finasteride. You won't know if stopping finasteride has been of any benefit since you are no using minoxidil, also you will most likely shed from the lipogaine too!

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You have two variables here. Minoxidil and finasteride. You won't know if stopping finasteride has been of any benefit since you are no using minoxidil, also you will most likely shed from the lipogaine too!

this

cbtrc

Reaction score
I understand, but I can't afford stopping all treatments and starting from scratch, adding them one by one over a long period of time. Condition of my hair is too bad, especially considering my age.
I haven't used minoxidil in June and July and my hair loss hasn't decreased during those months. Now I want to ditch Propecia, use minoxidil daily and see what happens.
By the way, as I have already mentioned, I started treating my condition Dec 2012 with Lipogaine and later Rogaine. Dec 2012 - April 2013 I didn't experience any increase in hair loss, in fact it has been only decreasing for those 4 months. Based on this, I assume I am not prone to the minoxidil shed.

David.G

Established Member
Reaction score
I pm'ed him, but no answer.

cbtrc, if you still visit these forums I'd appreciate an update. How did stopping finasteride work out? Is minoxidil keeping your hair? I'm in the same camp as you. I truly believe finasteride made my hair worse 7 months in but I still take it at the hopes it turns around. I'd like to see how your experiment went.

Fcukmylife

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you, I stupidly took T3 as a fat burner, it made my hair fall out, freaked out got on propecia it did nothing but make me shed like crazy, quit after 3 months, 3 months since and I'm still shedding, holy f*** balls my hair is destroyed, Iv accelerated the hair loss by years, will the shedding ever stop?