no crusting...8th day post-op

mike20768

Reaction score
I got my transplant last Friday the 22nd. Started washing my hair once a day starting the 3rd day (Xmas day). Today, I dont see much improvement as far as "red dots..lol" disappearing. Shouldnt I start to see things clear up and see crusts by now? Starting today, I think im going to wash my hair twice a day until Monday.

DaveOne

Established Member
Reaction score

mike20768

Reaction score
Yes, I still have scabs. Doctor told me to wait until 3rd day to start washing hair. I told him before that I started washing NEXT day. He said no, with me, start 3rd day.

Yes i still have scabs. Today i let the shower hit my head directly. Im going to be a bit more rigorous from now until tuesday but gentle at the same time. I need these off by Tuesday. i need to return to work!

DaveOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you read the links I posted, so just in case here's some relevant info:

"After 5-7 days, the scabs should be gone. If they are present to a significant degree, then you must be gentle with them for if you pull one out, the graft may come off with it. Mostly, if the wounds are small and the scabs are already shedding, you can wet your hair, cover it with a good conditioner when wet, leave it on for 10-15 minutes to allow the scabs to soak up the moisture, and then wash your hair using your finger tips to gently try to get the scabs off. Dr. Robert Bernstein and I just wrote a scientific paper on this to show that when the scabs are off, the grafts are safely anchored. The scabs anchor to the grafts, so if you pull on a scab the graft can come out with it. If you follow the washing technique I just outlined the scabs should come off in a day or two, providing that they are not anchored too tightly to the scalp."

You should be at that point where the scabs can be rubbed off...just get the head wet with warm water like Dr Rassman says, leave in some conditioner for 10 min or so to make sure everything is nice and moist, and then start gently rubbiing off the crusts/scabs for the next few days..don't force anything, and stop if there is bleeding. By day 10 the scabs should be gone, with a little gentle help from the fingertips.

mike20768

Reaction score
ok..just wet my hair and rubbed in some conditioner. Going to let this sit for 10-15 min and wash off. Im going to do this 3 times a day until Monday. Is that to much?

G

mike,

Today is the 11th day post-op and hopefully the crusts are gone by now. Everything okay for you at this point post-op?

mike20768

Reaction score
Thank you for checking up on me!!!

Everything looks good now. All crusts are gone. About 1-2cm behind my hairline (which is where doctor started), you can see very small amount of redness around the grafts but its not very visible. I only notice it because I know Ive had a transplant. Looking very closely, I notice he used 2-3 grafts in each hole/puncture. Only time will tell now. Lets see how things turn out 3 months from now. Angle and direction of hair growth, amount of growth etc...

The only thing that still concerns me is the black eyes. I have no swelling at all but my eyes are still black. Not that bad, but still, you can see they are black. I go back Friday to get stitches out. See what happens til then.

Again, thank you for checking on me.

G

You're welcome Mike. This black eye thing should also subside in the very near future, you'll see. Best to you man. :hairy:

G

Mike should be close to three months post-op now. Hopefully he is starting to see some new growth. :)

mike20768

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Hope all is well. Yes, it has officially been 3 months and to tell you the truth, I have actually not seen much difference. I know about a month after surgery I had this feeling that I have actually lost more hair.

I went to my barber 2 days ago and he said he doesnt see much difference and still sees thinning. My parents even ask me sometimes when is the hair going to start growing in?....meaning "you are still thin and we see no difference". Barber said the last time I had a procedure (98 and 2000 by MHR) he immediately started to see a difference after only 2 months.

This 3rd time I decided to give a new doctor a try after reading what everyone said about MHR. Also I was not happy with how the MHR doctor wanted to extend my suture line almost around my head near my ears.

This 3rd procedure for me has been kind of a "nightmare". I experienced so many bad things that never happened the first 2 times like extreme swelling, black eyes, suture line hurt for about 2 months and I know its only been 3 months, THE RESULTS.

Im going to be patient and see how things turn out in month 6, 7, 8 etc. But for now, no difference as far as I can see.

Im actually going to see the doctor this week for a follow up and see what he says. Again, I think this 3rd time, I have to be patient.

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
mike20768 said:
Hey Everyone,

Hope all is well. Yes, it has officially been 3 months and to tell you the truth, I have actually not seen much difference. I know about a month after surgery I had this feeling that I have actually lost more hair.

I went to my barber 2 days ago and he said he doesnt see much difference and still sees thinning. My parents even ask me sometimes when is the hair going to start growing in?....meaning "you are still thin and we see no difference". Barber said the last time I had a procedure (98 and 2000 by MHR) he immediately started to see a difference after only 2 months.

This 3rd time I decided to give a new doctor a try after reading what everyone said about MHR. Also I was not happy with how the MHR doctor wanted to extend my suture line almost around my head near my ears.

This 3rd procedure for me has been kind of a "nightmare". I experienced so many bad things that never happened the first 2 times like extreme swelling, black eyes, suture line hurt for about 2 months and I know its only been 3 months, THE RESULTS.

Im going to be patient and see how things turn out in month 6, 7, 8 etc. But for now, no difference as far as I can see.

Im actually going to see the doctor this week for a follow up and see what he says. Again, I think this 3rd time, I have to be patient.

Who did the sugery?

G

mike,

You could be a late bloomer. Hang in there as you said and keep us in the loop as to your progress.