nizoral?

souljaboytellem

Reaction score
hi,

im new to this forum and have recently noticed male pattern baldness. Ive noticed alot of people using nizoral twice a week as part of their regimen. I looked it up on boots and it said it was a anti dandruff shampoo?

Nizoral Dandruff Shampoo - 100 ml

Nizoral Dandruff Shampoo is for the treatment and prevention of dandruff and dry or greasy scaling of the scalp (seborrhoeic dermatitis). Each gram (g) contains 20 milligrams (mg) of the active ingredient Ketoconazole.

is this the right one?

does it actually help slow down or stop male pattern baldness?

Thanks

Mens Rea

Reaction score
yep thats the stuff alright

it helps prohibit DHT i believe, or at least helps clear the scalp or something; its an androgen blocked. hopefully someone will correct me if im wrong

anyway the active ingredient is Ketoconazole thats where the money is :)

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes that is the correct shampoo, I suggest purchasing the 2% version so you can aquire the mazimum benefit from the shampoo, as colin already stated the active ingredient is ketoconazole. I suggest the other shampoo you use is a shampoo with piroctone olamine. This ingredient can be found in Body Shop's Ginger shampoo or in 'T-gel for dry hair'. These two ingredients are your best bet in slowing down your hair loss. These are the two shampoos you should be using.

pproctor

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, nizoral is a dandruff shampoo and yes, that is likely why it works some in the treatment of pattern loss, rather that (say) its relatively-weak anti-androgenic action.

Scalp seborrheic dermatitis ("dandruff" ) is thought to exacerbate the balding process. At least partially, this may involve exacerbation of the inflammatory part of balding.

Various other antidandruff agents also work, e.g. zinc pyrithione and "tar" preparations such as t-gel. Interestingly, the 1st century AD medical writer Galen suggests tar (by which he may mean bitumen) for the treatment of pattern loss.

The more dandruff you have, the better results you are likely to get. Every little bit helps.

It is difficult to say what works best. Nizoral is tidier than tar formulations and actually kills the fungus thought to be responsible for dandruff. A principle in therapeutics says to treat the disease rather than the symptoms if you can. So many physicians favor Nizoral.

Peter H. Proctor, PhD,MD

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
There have been alot of people complaining that zinc pyritonie or whatever causes hair loss, even females.

I have a link to a site in the concealers section that talks about it

Mitchem

Established Member
Reaction score
souljaboytellem said:
thanks,

i clicked on 2% and it comes to a prescription page, would i need a prescription for a shampoo :S ?

No you can walk into Boots and pick it up mate. Im also using Alpecin shampoo and liquid on my nizoral off days I also recommend this. Its a caffine shampoo which is really good.

pproctor

Established Member
Reaction score
elvis123 said:
There have been alot of people complaining that zinc pyritonie or whatever causes hair loss, even females.

I have a link to a site in the concealers section that talks about it

Ya have to be careful about claims that some hair- loss-treatment agent "causes hair loss", always admitting that "The dose makes the poison".

Every agent that brings follicles out of dormancy (which means every agent that works ) can cause a wave of early increased shedding in some persons. This is due to early shedding of loss phase hair as the follicles come out of dormancy and is sometimes the first sign that treatment is working. This may happen as much as 10-15% of the time in a noticable way.

The key is that any hair that falls out before about 2-4 months after starting a treatment was already in the loss phase and thus programmed to fall out already. So any complaints about increased shedding before 2-4 months reflect coincidence or follicles being stimulated out of dormancy early, which is what you want.

The exception is agents like radiation and cancer chemotherapy agents that cause hair to fall out directly from the growth phase.

Peter h. Proctor, PhD,MD

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score