Nizoral - why does it work? Androgens, fungi, inflammation.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Michael -my mistake. Good news also. It seems that keto has a definite antiandrogenic effect in vivo. Those photos from that keto trial out of Japan looked pretty impressive - especially from such a small sample group.
hh

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
treeshrew said:
CONCLUSION: Comparative data suggest that there may be a significant action of KCZ upon the course of androgenic alopecia and that Malassezia spp. may play a role in the inflammatory reaction. The clinical significance of the results awaits further controlled study in a larger group of subjects.

Doesn't sound too conclusive to me.

:roll: Highlighting phrases like "may be" in the standard conclusion of an abstract from a study does not make your case. Hair density and size and proportion of anagen follicles were improved almost similarly by both KCZ and minoxidil regimens. The sebum casual level appeared to be decreased by KCZ. The results themselves seem much more relevant and worthy of being highlighted. Did you look at any of the other studies? Guess not.
hh

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
...To be clinically certain that it is the sort of inflammation that we are talking about here that has been reported as accompanying Androgenetic Alopecia and may or may not be a causitive factor - some kind of scalp biopsy I imagine to distinguish exactly what is going on. Otherwise typical features such as a red or itchy scalp would indicate general inflammation that may or may not be related to this Androgenetic Alopecia associated type of inflammation.
hh

Hairbackpls

Reaction score
So, DHT increases sebum, which feeds candida?

Yes. My hairloss and seborrhea (wich is caused by candida) started after sebum increase on my scalp. Now im trying out finasteride + accutane to decrease sebum. Idk if its working yet tho.

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
Idc :D i got acne too so i would use it anyways.. I think that days of my greasy hair are over, but seems like im still shedding.

Don't use it for hair loss. And if you're using it for acne, lower than the prescribed dose is probably better, since it can give you sexual and hair problems.

Hairbackpls

Reaction score
Don't use it for hair loss. And if you're using it for acne, lower than the prescribed dose is probably better, since it can give you sexual and hair problems.

I havent seen any sexual or other bad sides from finasteride or accutane. I just started shedding more after starting finasteride and thats normal.
Its pretty weird that accutane only dries ur face. Why is that? If it would decrease sebum on ur scalp too it would be great.

drgs

Banned
Reaction score
Healthy bacteria to displace candida?

"A biotech start-up from Massachusetts has an unusual product: a bottle full of bacteria you're supposed to spray onto your face. The bacteria is Nitrosomonas eutropha, and it's generally harmless. Its main use is that it oxidizes ammonia, and the start-up's researchers suspect it used to commonly live on human skin before we began washing it away with soaps and other cleaners. Such bacteria are an area of heavy research in biology right now. Scientists know that the gut microbiome is important to proper digestion, and they're trying to figure out if an external microbiome can be similarly beneficial to skin. A journalist for the NY Times volunteered to test the product, which involved four straight weeks of no showers, no soap, no shampoo, and no deodorant. The sprayed-on bacteria quickly colonized her skin, along with other known types of bacteria — and hundreds of unknown (but apparently harmless) strains. She reported improvements to her skin and complexion, and described how the bacteria worked to curtail (but not eliminate) the body odor caused by not washing. At the end of the experiment, all of theN. eutropha vanished within three showers."

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is my own belief that Nizoral is way overrated and that its positive effects on the hair are marginal at best. The reason it is in the big three is mainly to do with convenience, as it is a shampoo and is convenient to use alongside the other two ingredients of the big three.

If Nizoral really was so effective, there would be much more evidence of its effectiveness from these forums, especially from the success stories section. And of course, there would indeed be no need for finasteride. These hair loss forums have been around for well over a decade, and many thousands of forum users (myself included) have experience of using Nizoral, and in all this time, there has been very little evidence that it is anything like as effective as some of those studies seemed to suggest.

In any case, I personally am highly skeptical of those studies that found Nizoral to regrow all that hair. From what I've read, all of the studies carried out on Nizoral as an male pattern baldness treatment were performed on a small (and in some cases, tiny) sample size, and most of these studies seem to have been carried out by people to whom the outcome of the results mattered. I suspect that there may well have been a fair amount of experimenter bias in these studies.

I'm not saying that Nizoral is useless. I think it is a good idea to include it in your regimen (as long as your scalp can cope with it), as it is so little hassle and there is nothing at all to lose by it, but it should not be thought of as the main weapon in your regimen, but rather as a secondary (and when I say secondary, I mean very much secondary) add-on to finasteride or dutasteride.