Nizoral only?

nitefish

Reaction score
Has anyone here used Nizoral ONLY with positive results? How long did it take and how did you use it?

DHTHater

Established Member
Reaction score
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're using Nizoral only, and stop losing hair, or regrow hair with that alone, then you never had male pattern baldness to begin with IMO.

Unfortunately, male pattern baldness is usually stronger than mild topicals like 1% Ketoconazole (ie: Nizoral). If you have male pattern baldness, then Nizoral alone won't stop it, at least not that i've ever heard of, and I've read a lot of testimonials and research studies.

There is supposedly some articles showing that prescription strength (2% topical Ketoconazole) was as effective or better than Minoxidil in one study. So I suppose that is some light at the end of the "Nizoral Only" hopeful camp's tunnel. Just don't ask me to bet on 1% topical Keto in the male pattern baldness vs Nizoral fight.

Nizoral is best looked at as a single soldier among many in the war against male pattern baldness. You wouldn't expect to win with just one footsoldier, the same applies to hair loss.

nitefish

Reaction score
Hey DHT,
Thanks for the info. Luckily, here in Canada the 2% nizoral is available OTC, so I will keep using that. I am going to add Revivogen this weekend. My hope was to also add 5% topical spironolactone, but I'm trying to find a Doctor who will prescribe it. Quite frankly, getting an Rx for finasteride and minoxidil is easy, but with the case of finasteride, I'm terrified of the sides!

DHTHater

Established Member
Reaction score
nitefish said:
Hey DHT,
Thanks for the info. Luckily, here in Canada the 2% nizoral is available OTC, so I will keep using that. I am going to add Revivogen this weekend. My hope was to also add 5% topical spironolactone, but I'm trying to find a Doctor who will prescribe it. Quite frankly, getting an Rx for finasteride and minoxidil is easy, but with the case of finasteride, I'm terrified of the sides!

You're lucky to get 2% OTC. One guy over in the Forum category Success Stories actually claimed to have stopped his loss and regrown with 2 % Nizoral alone. You might want to check that out. I think my own male pattern baldness is too aggressive to rely on Nizoral alone.

The side effects from Propecia are overstated. The 5% of people that have side effects are the ones that are most vocal online. So you end up reading them, and think that is Propecia, when really you just read the 5 percentile guy. The people without sides are out living life, and rarely feel compelled to write about it. My own dermatologist debunked a lot of the myths I was scared of as well. She told me she has thousands in her area on Propecia, and none of them reported side effects save for a few guys over 50 that eventually adjusted to the drug anyway.

If you try finasteride, my guess is that at worst you'll have about a month where you may feel a little wonky, occasional testicular pain, sleepiness, libido issues, and then everything feels like before you started. That's how it was for me. I never grew boobs, and I have sex with my gf like it's going out of style.

grove12345

Reaction score
if you have weak thin hair i recommend you stay away from nizoral. That stuff wrecked my hair in like 6 months. I mean i never seen it so thin and shed so much, and it was dry, then get greasy like 1 day later.
I guess i have sensitive pH balance.

I stopped using it and 6 months later hair came back thick. I also just use natural shampoo SLS free like just 2x a week.

Becareful with that stuff.

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
For christ sake, nizoral only is bs.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
grove12345 said:
if you have weak thin hair i recommend you stay away from nizoral. That stuff wrecked my hair in like 6 months. I mean i never seen it so thin and shed so much, and it was dry, then get greasy like 1 day later.
I guess i have sensitive pH balance.

I stopped using it and 6 months later hair came back thick. I also just use natural shampoo SLS free like just 2x a week.

Becareful with that stuff.

Good point. Nizoral is potent and can be harmful to sensitive scalps. I could not handle the 2% version. This should be noted by all users and you should experiment to see how much you can handle before introducing it into your regimen. It can do more harm than good if you use it too frequently, though there are those that can handle it.

DHTHater said:
nitefish said:
Hey DHT,

You're lucky to get 2% OTC. One guy over in the Forum category Success Stories actually claimed to have stopped his loss and regrown with 2 % Nizoral alone. You might want to check that out. I think my own male pattern baldness is too aggressive to rely on Nizoral alone.

The side effects from Propecia are overstated. The 5% of people that have side effects are the ones that are most vocal online. So you end up reading them, and think that is Propecia, when really you just read the 5 percentile guy. The people without sides are out living life, and rarely feel compelled to write about it. My own dermatologist debunked a lot of the myths I was scared of as well. She told me she has thousands in her area on Propecia, and none of them reported side effects save for a few guys over 50 that eventually adjusted to the drug anyway.

If you try finasteride, my guess is that at worst you'll have about a month where you may feel a little wonky, occasional testicular pain, sleepiness, libido issues, and then everything feels like before you started. That's how it was for me. I never grew boobs, and I have sex with my gf like it's going out of style.

Unfortunately, I don't agree with the Propecia side effects . I reckon the amount that suffer sides is a lot greater than 5%. I realize that if you use Propecia and don't suffer any side effects you may think the other way around.

ryan r said:
For christ sake, nizoral only is bs.
Stupid reply. You don't have a clue, I've seen several threads for people with mild Androgenetic Alopecia who have successfully slowed/halted their hair loss with Nizoral alone. It just depends on the severity of your condition and have your body reacts.

crisT said:
i used nizoral for 1 month with no results.

i don't recommend it.

Wow, 1 whole month?. I'm surprised you didn't have hair growing out your eyes by then. Do a bit of research and look into the growth cycles of hair follicles. It takes a lot longer for them to grow than you think. As it is with every hair loss treatment..... Use a product for 6 months before evaluating and posting such replies online!.

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
I find it very hard to believe that male pattern baldness can be noticeably slowed down with merely a shampoo!

But it´s great to hear, I use a keto shampoo myself.

Still im not buying it, maybe with a keto lotion, ok.

But a shampoo?? Its on your scalp for a couple of minutes and thats it!

nitefish

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

Decro, when you say you could not handle the 2% nizoral version, what do you mean? I actually have been getting headaches with it. Is that what you got? What could be giving headaches?

I still think I'm going to steer clear of finasteride. I know you say only 5% get sides, but that's still a bit high for me.

Grove, what's in SLS shampoo? Is it OTC? What's the active? Where can one get it?

Thanks all!

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nitefish said:

Decro, when you say you could not handle the 2% nizoral version, what do you mean? I actually have been getting headaches with it. Is that what you got? What could be giving headaches?

I still think I'm going to steer clear of finasteride. I know you say only 5% get sides, but that's still a bit high for me.

Grove, what's in SLS shampoo? Is it OTC? What's the active? Where can one get it?

Thanks all!

Nizoral 2% Shampoo began to damage my hair after about a week of use. It is too harsh to use daily on my head, it made my hair brittle and dry and made my scalp very sensitive and itchy. Headaches could be associated with the Ketoconazole. I got side effects of lower libido and weak erections with Revita shampoo (eventually went away), most likely due to the Ketoconazole in it. Nizoral 2% is stronger so I can imagine it can cause similar side effects, though I guess this depends on your skin type and how much systemic absorbtion you get. People underate the power of these shampoos and a lot of the time I believe they can aggravate hormonal problems usually attributed to Finasteride use.

As for the SLS question, it stands for Sodium lauryl sulfate. It's commonly used as a foaming agent for creating lather in shampoos. It's been associated with several health problems and is commonly accepted by the hair loss community as something to avoid. Unfortunately it is present in Nizoral and most commercial shampoos. SLS-free shampoos are gentle and are mostly used on the in-between days of a regimen. For example you use Nizoral 2-3 days a week and on the in-between days you use a gentle shampoo to avoid damaging the scalp.

There are many available on the market. Aubrey Organic and Jasons thin to thick are impressive in my opinion.

grove12345

Reaction score
nitefish said:

Thanks all!

as stated b4 SLS is sodium lauryl sulfate or any sulfate is bad.

i take Dr Bronners shampoo. No crazy ingredients. But i do dilute it with 75% water. Twice a week and my hair has never been better.

This isnt a cure to hairloss. Rather to avoid shampoos damaging my hair.

For some people nizoral or haircoloring wont cause sheds or hairloss. If u have good pH balance and thick hair put whatever you want on your head.

Jamesalbert

Reaction score
Hey, I used healthy diet, Nizoral 3-4 times a week, exercise and scalp massage. My hair loss stopped the first week of this regime. I started to thicker hair in first month. Eventually all of my hair is back.

jiro

Reaction score
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but just had to give my two cents.

I started using 2% nizoral last February, and it worked wonders. My hair was so think at that time and some parts of my scalp have begun to show. After using Nizoral for 4x a week, my scalp was fully covered by April.

Before that, I only used 5% minoxidil for my thinning hair (then in my fifth month), nothing else.

Of course, I could not attribute this regrowth only to Nizoral because I also began taking 1 mg Propecia (once every other day) at that time. However, when I stopped using Nizoral in mid-May (I ran out, and I had to buy from an online shop because the local drugstores do not sell the 2%), my hair began to shed like crazy, which continues until now. Upping my dose of propecia (and even taking Dutasteride now and then) did not stop or lessen my shedding... in fact, I think my shedding has gotten worse. I believe am losing approximately 80 strands everyday (I only lose around 30-50 strands before I used Nizoral). On top of that, my hairline looks WHACK. I don't even think of it as a hairline anymore, just a bunch of wispy hairs hanging on for dear life.

However, I could not arrive to a conclusion as of yet. I bought two new bottles of 2% Nizoral lately and started using the product again yesterday. If my hair has significantly thickened over the next four weeks, I will let you know