Nizoral making me bald faster?!

SDK

Established Member
Reaction score
I started using Nizoral as a standalone treatment about five weeks ago - twice a week initially, now down to once as per the instructions. However, I've noticed that not only does my hair look a bit wispy and lifeless...it's seemingly making hairs miniaturize faster! I have no idea how this is possible, or if it's just an initial shed or whatever...but I have definitely lost a half inch on both sides of my hairline and some density in my crown.

Both sides from five weeks ago:

And today:

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Should I immediately stop using it before it gets even worse? I'm starting Minoxidil foam soon and I don't want to lose even more ground before it gets going. I'm going to be royally pissed if this has managed to dig me deeper from just five weeks - and I haven't even been overusing it! I want to keep using it to see if it's just a shed, but if it's not...I could completely destroy what I have left.​

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always been skeptical of nizoral. Some people say it alone has stopped their hairloss where there are other people that have stories such as yours. It does appear that your temples have receded more, although I don't think nizoral can be to blame for that. It will make hair dry and wispy, but causing recession like that just doesn't make sense. I'd say you are just balding man haha. At some points it happens faster than others.

Are you on finasteride? Cause I'd get on that right away, and I don't care what others say and all the horror stories out there, you need it. Its the only medicine to stop the fundamental process of balding. If you get on it now you may get some of your hairline back so go talk to a Doctor asap.

And about minoxidil, I'm a pretty big anti-minoxidil guy just cuz I had a bad experience and it will make you appear to have hair even tho you are getting waaay balder. As you appear to have good density, using minoxidil would put you in a big shed and you would lose that and then it will come back and you will feel good to only again go bald looking for another month after the regrowth. Trust me I used it and it held out for awhile and then my balding got way progressive and it didn't help anymore and I said F this and jumped on finasteride right away.

I've seen some of your posts and you try to calm the mentally F'd ppl on this forum, but guess what? You are in the early stages of balding and ya it doesn't seem like a big deal to you. But I can tell you are stressing from this half a cm of recession in about 5 weeks. Think what 2 more years can do to your hair and then tell people its not a big deal.

Like I said man I'd get on finasteride right away. Screw minoxidil unless you really want highs and lows with your hair (and it also made my skin look terrible as its a vasodilator put right above the fragile skin of your face) and you modeling I can tell you you don't want that. Go anti-androgen route. Get spironolactone cream from this site and place on your temples, it will at least stop the recession for now. Then get finasteride as soon as possible. And if you really think its the nizoral, stop for 2 weeks and see if you see any change.

Reactions: SDK

SDK

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I'm just a bit freaked because up until now it's been a slow, steady process.

I am scared ****less of finasteride for now...I'll try that spironolactone cream though. I haven't ever gone to a dermatologist about this. Will consult with a doctor about finasteride before jumping on anything.

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
No problem. Just here to help out.

And I really don't get why people are so scared of finasteride. Side effect rates are 2% and thats at 5 mg prescribed mostly to old F'ers for prostate enlargement. Hair loss is NOT genetic. Well it is but its due to the activity of the enzyme and high dht amounts. Thats why people who have 5a reductase deficiency don't exhibit male pattern baldness. Maybe its just cuz i'm a good responder and even on dutasteride now and feel great. Do your research and ask me any questions you want. But if you are serious about hairloss and think it will effect your life, just get on finasteride and forget about hairloss altogether

Reaction score
Yeah man, ladysmanfelpz is totally right. I think everyone should try finasteride at least for a couple of months. Like it or not, as of now, it is probably the best out there as a treatment for hairloss. Maybe you will get sides, maybe you won't, but the important thing is that you will never now what would have happened if you don't try it before. I was very scared of finasteride at fist. I was sure I was gonna get sides, and I did, but I sticked to it and they slowly faded away.

abcdefg

Reaction score
nizoral is a mildly effective treatment if it ends up working for you. Really finasteride is the only treatment we have that does much of anything long term.

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
Judging just visually with eye focus, I see no difference in your hairline recession between your supposed before and after pictures. The only difference is that one set is closer in angle than the other. Interestingly, you have some tiny dark stumps of hair on your scalp in both sets-I don't know what they are and of your hair is growing there. nizoral. shampoo makes your hair dry, and straw like and even normal thick hair looks so wispy and week. I have a remedy for that, I will post sometimes. In the meantime, as others have told you, nizoral has modest hair benefits, and you might wanna try something more potent after you are able to commit to the treatment