Nizoral Long Term

j3321

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on the big 3 for about 3 months now and had great results. My question is how long should I keep using Nizoral. Is it necessary to continue indefinitely? I'm using it 3-4 times a week but I really want to cut back now that I've got some good regrwoth, the male pattern baldness "burn" is gone, I'd like to use less as it dries out my scalp and costs me money.

KeepTheHair

Established Member
Reaction score
In my opinion you can definitely cut back man. I would not cut back more than 1/week since they shampoo is really good for your hair. Cut back for awhile then perhaps do 2/week or so.

You don't need to do 3-4 times a week. It can really dry out the hair.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
There was that study with the Japanese guy who was losing his hair, started using Nizoral 3-4 times a week, got regrowth, then stopped using it and started losing his hair again. So, cut back at your own risk :)

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
it's not really proven to do much. i think the main benefit is keeping your scalp healthy so if it's making it worse i definitely would not use it.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
dougfunny said:
it's not really proven to do much. i think the main benefit is keeping your scalp healthy so if it's making it worse i definitely would not use it.

You don't know what you are talking about.

Use the "search" function and do some reading.

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
dougfunny said:
No.. this is not true.

knowingyou

Established Member
Reaction score
It depends on the countries, I use bith 1% an 2% and both are prescription free in my country, so I do not think it is dangerous!

j3321

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I'll just go from 4 times a week to 2 or 3 times a week...every two days with only 1%. Maybe on top of that I'll use a bit smaller portion as well.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
j3321 said:
I think I'll just go from 4 times a week to 2 or 3 times a week...every two days with only 1%. Maybe on top of that I'll use a bit smaller portion as well.

my 2c:

Keto shampoo is underrated. So easy to use. Stimulant-antiandrogenic-antinflammatory.

To prevent the drying effect I mix in a little plastic cup a part of shampoo with a part of avocado oil. Leaves my hair/scalp perfect. No need for conditioner after. I use Keto 5x week. (you could mix a part of oil directly on the bottle as well.)

Any good oil like olive or grape seed work well.

TF2009

Reaction score
I bought a bottle of nizoral 2% last December, but have so far refrained from using it as I've heard lots of horror stories about shedding.

Have any of you guys experienced this?

j3321

Established Member
Reaction score
I used 2% 2-3 times a week for two solid months and had no shed whatsoever. After two months on nizoral I started minoxidil as well and shed for about three weeks, but then the minoxidil shed wore off and I have been fine since.

I have pictures in the success story forum. "Pretty Early Success???" is the title.

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
patagonia said:
dougfunny said:

Bullshit. There is no study showing nizoral does anything that is not "theoretical."

I feel particularly strongly about this one since I used it in the absence of any other hair loss remedy for 5+ years and I balded significantly and at the exact same rate my brother and father did.

If you are smart you will say "that does not mean sh*t you are only one person" and you would be right. However my first statement does mean sh*t.

rcom440

Reaction score
dougfunny said:
patagonia said:
dougfunny said:

Bullshit. There is no study showing nizoral does anything that is not "theoretical."

I feel particularly strongly about this one since I used it in the absence of any other hair loss remedy for 5+ years and I balded significantly and at the exact same rate my brother and father did.

If you are smart you will say "that does not mean sh*t you are only one person" and you would be right. However my first statement does mean sh*t.

I recommend you read studies online about ketoconazole.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
The only study I recall was a limited one done in France.

They need to do more ketoconazole studies unless I've just managed to miss them.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
There's a couple of studies showing ketoconazole grows hair, starting with this mouse study:

Topical Ketoconazole (Nizoral) Increases Hair Growth in Mice

The results demonstrated that 2% KCZ had a macroscopically significant stimulatory effect compared with the vehicle group. Repeated experiments showed similar effects, confirming the efficacy of KCZ as a hair growth stimulant.

And then the French study:

2% Nizoral Shampoo Increases Hair Growth in Men with Male Pattern Baldness

In men with hair loss, using 2% Nizoral shampoo 2-4 per week significantly improved measures of vertex hairs in anagen phase and hair diameter during the course of a 21-month study. At 15 months, the increase in the hair growth score was close to 50%. A slight decrease in hair growth scores was seen in those using normal shampoo.

This study also included a second experiment, where ketoconazole was compared with minoxidil:

2% Nizoral Shampoo Increases Hair Growth More than 2% Minoxidil

After 6 months of using the treatments, the hair density of the Nizoral group went from 250 to 296 hairs per square centimeter; an increase of of 18%. In the minoxidil group, the increase was 11%, from 276 to 306 hairs. Both ketoconazole and minoxidil increased hair shaft diameter by 7%.

And there's this study that compared ketoconazole, zinc pyrithione and piroctone olamine:

Zinc Pyrithione Reduces Shedding and Moderately Promotes Hair Growth

All treatments reduced dandruff significantly. Hair density was unchanged after 6 months, but hair shedding decreased (ketoconazole: -17.3%, piroctone olamine: -16.5%, zinc pyrithione: -10.1%) and the percentage of hairs in anagen phase increased (ketoconazole: 4.9%, piroctone olamine: 7.9%, zinc pyrithione: 6.8%).

The effect on mean hair diameter was less uniform: ketoconazole and piroctone olamine showed increases of 5.4 and 7.7%, respectively, while zinc pyrithione actually decreased hair diameter by 2.2%.

And then there's the Japanese study, which I can't find right now. It too showed hair growth in humans from Nizoral.

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you! :bravo:

That said, I still remain pretty skeptical. The only two studies there that were focusing on hair loss in men involved only a handful of participants and were performed by the same researchers.

Also what makes me really concerned is that they found keto more effective than minoxidil. I would have bought that keto was helping, but to say it works better than minoxidil seems to contradict the experience of most users on this board.

What I like to think the mouse study helps to disprove though is the possibility that Nizoral is a DHT blocker.

KeepTheHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Since using Dr. Lees keto shampoo my hair has been a great deal better. My scalp no longer itches. My scalp isn't inflamed. My scalp feels "free". It feels way better, since the first wash it was like that.

I have read the studies. Keto is definitely underrated and underused by hair loss sufferers. Alone it probably won't stop hair loss. But it is one of the best things you can use in combination with finasteride.

For anyone skeptical about it, I promise I have greatly benefited from using a shampoo with ketoconazole.