Nizoral Decreases Libido?

howcanthisbe

Reaction score
I was wondering after maybe having a decrease with using the shampoo. I found an article where they "track" reports of side effects of Nizoral. Looks like 10 reports of decreased libido with it:

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/nizoral/libido+decreased

Any truth to this guys? Im not sure if this is in my mind or not. Hard to say. Im using the Nizoral 1% shampoo. Not sure if this study talks about shampoos or pills though.

howcanthisbe

Reaction score
Thanks. Can this shampoo causes you to become more femine and create qualities like a "high" pitched voice. I mean I know it only blocks DHT on the scalp but I have read some accounts of procepia causing people's voice to become high pitched.

I am a singer and need my voice to remain the same. Am I at any risk of havin my voice not be as deep because this could eventually over time lower my DHT too much? I know this sounds paranoid but I think it could be possible. Thanks

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
howcanthisbe said:
Thanks. Can this shampoo causes you to become more femine and create qualities like a "high" pitched voice. I mean I know it only blocks DHT on the scalp but I have read some accounts of procepia causing people's voice to become high pitched.

I am a singer and need my voice to remain the same. Am I at any risk of havin my voice not be as deep because this could eventually over time lower my DHT too much? I know this sounds paranoid but I think it could be possible. Thanks

Thats ridiculous...Im almost inclined to believe you're trolling here...

There is no way a shampoo is making anyones voice higher. finasteride doesn't even do that.

sh*t, transgendered people pumped full of female hormones barely have their voice change (if at all)

I've seen a couple posts with people asking about nizoral and sexual sides. It just aint happenin. I took finasteride and had sides within a week. I've been using nizoral (and sometimes the stronger 2% version) for about a year every other day and I haven't had anything.

Nizoral is not going to give you sexual sides...its not possible. I've heard it said that nizoral can act as a very mild topical anti-androgen. I don't know how true this is..but even if it does..it would be VERY VERY mild..otherwise people would just be using nizoral instead of finasteride...and in my opinion it would only affect androgen levels in the scalp..not the whole body

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Read those stats. No one under the age of 40 reported any reduced libido. 40 and on is when your testosterone starts to drop, which will reduce your libido. Also, if you give someone a drug (or anything) and ask them to report sides...your body will make up something. Was this a double blind controlled study? I doubt it.

Also, even IF those stats are 100% true, then you have a .49% chance of getting this side effect. So, basically you have a better chance of dying from an accidental fall (1-in-171) than you do of getting lowered libido (1-in-200).

You'll be fine.

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
The mind is a pretty strong thing. It'd be interesting, given the couple recent posts about nizoral and sexual sides, if we started getting tons of posts about nizoral sexual sides and Post Nizoral Syndrome.

(and no im not knocking finasteride sides...i know finasteride sides are real..i know PFS is probably real...i had finasteride sides myself)

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I outright refuse to believe that claim. There is a huge thread on it over at BaldTruth, I couldn't believe what I was reading.

rill

Established Member
Reaction score
the active ingridient ketokonazole is a pretty strong antiandrogen, its so strong that its used to fight prostate cancer
As an antiandrogen, ketoconazole operates through at least two mechanisms of action. First, and most notably, high oral doses of ketoconazole (e.g. 400 mg 3x/day) block both testicular and adrenal androgen biosynthesis, leading to a reduction in circulating testosterone levels.[17] Ketoconazole produces this effect through inhibition of cytochrome P450 and 17,20-lyase, which are involved in the synthesis and degradation of steroids, including the precursors of testosterone. Due to its efficacy at reducing systemic androgen levels, ketoconazole has been used as a treatment for androgen-dependent prostate cancer. Second, ketoconazole is an androgen receptor antagonist, competing with androgens such as testosterone and DHT for androgen receptor binding. This effect is thought to be quite weak, even with high oral doses of ketoconazole
but for that to take place a large dose would have to be absorbed systematically trough the skin and that isnt likely to happen

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
rick31 said:
the active ingridient ketokonazole is a pretty strong antiandrogen, its so strong that its used to fight prostate cancer
As an antiandrogen, ketoconazole operates through at least two mechanisms of action. First, and most notably, high oral doses of ketoconazole (e.g. 400 mg 3x/day) block both testicular and adrenal androgen biosynthesis, leading to a reduction in circulating testosterone levels.[17] Ketoconazole produces this effect through inhibition of cytochrome P450 and 17,20-lyase, which are involved in the synthesis and degradation of steroids, including the precursors of testosterone. Due to its efficacy at reducing systemic androgen levels, ketoconazole has been used as a treatment for androgen-dependent prostate cancer. Second, ketoconazole is an androgen receptor antagonist, competing with androgens such as testosterone and DHT for androgen receptor binding. This effect is thought to be quite weak, even with high oral doses of ketoconazole
but for that to take place a large dose would have to be absorbed systematically trough the skin and that isnt likely to happen

There is a big difference between taking very high doses ORALLY 3 times a day and rubbing a lower dose on your scalp topically. The doses they're talking about there are 400 mg 3x/day. A bottle of 2% Nizoral (the strongest version) contains 20 mg. So you would have to absorb 60 bottles of Nizoral a day through your scalp to get the same effect.

Ya know if you poor gasoline on your head..its probably going to irritate your scalp...if you drink gasoline..you might die. Theres a difference

rill

Established Member
Reaction score
Chris87 said:
rick31 said:

There is a big difference between taking very high doses ORALLY 3 times a day and rubbing a lower dose on your scalp topically. The doses they're talking about there are 400 mg 3x/day. A bottle of 2% Nizoral (the strongest version) contains 20 mg. So you would have to absorb 60 bottles of Nizoral a day through your scalp to get the same effect.

Ya know if you poor gasoline on your head..its probably going to irritate your scalp...if you drink gasoline..you might die. Theres a difference

actually a bottle contains about 200mg not 20mg but other then that I would agree its not wery likely.

The 400 mg 3x/day will propably decrease testosterone/give sideeffects, that doesnt mean that it takes that much, one could propably have sides at a much lower intake

again this propably wont happen when using keto as a cream or shampoo and is much unlikely

howcanthisbe

Reaction score
so what's the verdict here? Is Nizoral lowering the libido? I have stopped using it for about 8 days and my libido seems to be returning. However im about to use it again. Will see if I notice a difference or not.