Nizoral = considerable shed/frontal thinning

sxyhairwatch

Reaction score
I would like to add my voice to the number all ready out there.

It appears Nizoral is not a benign helpful tool in hairloss. I can confirm it causes considerable shedding, in a specific pattern that others have commented on: visible thinning at the front, crown seems less affected.

It may be that it is easy to overuse, but I don't think this garbage is worth the risk. I read on some site (probably this one), that it was an 'essential weapon against hairloss, an anti-inflammatory and anti-androgen'

Just whoever wrote that didn't realize it actually causes dramatic thinning. Perhaps they didn't have enough data to make that recommendation.

If you like you hair at the front, don't use Nizoral.

resu

Reaction score
What frequency were you using? How long did you leave it on?

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
See, now I would highly recommend it, I had shed when I first started but it passed, some people think it's garbage, some people think it's a great addition.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Your case with it does not really prove that is what it does. Many things over the course of you using that could have contributed to your hair thinning not the least of which is its natural course of progression since I would argue nizoral does not stop hair loss nor am I aware of any studies proving nizoral maintains long term hair counts or why would anyone use propecia if nizoral alone could keep all your hair? Its role is minor if anything but the inflammation and things associated with male pattern baldness are not good so if nizoral does help with those it might help but its not as important as say propecia is.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Again some hysterical fearmongering? If I listened to this crap from the internet, I couldn't take anything against hairloss, because it causes a myriad of problems from impotency to swelling faces and maybe even somnambulism.

In reality, ketoconazole proved to be an effective weapon against hairloss, although it is probably not much more effective than 2% minoxidil. It works both as an anti-androgen and a DHT-blocker. Hence it would be probably more effective when combined with minoxidil, rather than with finasteride.
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-pdf/nizoral-study.pdf
http://www.pharmacymix.com/docs/nizoral_shampoo_ketoconazole_2_hair_loss.pdf
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14729013
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12227482

Jack A

Established Member
Reaction score
You do know that not everyone gets those sides? and i'm sorry that you are one of the unlucky ones to get them. I've been using it 2x a week for 2 years and would reccommend it.

bashful

Reaction score
I'm a female who was prescribed Nizoral for a scalp problem. I quickly began to shed a lot of hair, especially in the front. My hair got dramatically thinner while I was using it. It does list substantial hair thinning/loss as a possible side effect, affecting about 1 in 100 people. So I have to agree with sxyhairwatch about it. I've stopped using it now but the hair doesn't seem to be growing back.

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
Seriously some people lose hair from nizoral, I seem to be one of those people that get the worst results from these treatments, I have been on nizoral, minoxidil and derma rolling for 5 weeks and have been shedding a scary amount of hair, I knew minoxidil could destroy a hairline but now nizoral, 5 weeks isn't long I know but holy crap the amount of hair shedding is ridiculous, started at 3 weeks

bashful

Reaction score
Losing a worrying amount of hair

Seriously some people lose hair from nizoral, I seem to be one of those people that get the worst results from these treatments, I have been on nizoral, minoxidil and derma rolling for 5 weeks and have been shedding a scary amount of hair, I knew minoxidil could destroy a hairline but now nizoral, 5 weeks isn't long I know but holy crap the amount of hair shedding is ridiculous, started at 3 weeks

I didn't even have a hair loss problem before this - just some kind of scalp infection. It hasn't helped with that at all and for me, the remedy's been so much worse than the actual complaint. Even though no longer using it, hair shedding is continuing though has perhaps slowed a bit. I can't believe it's prescribed to help strengthen hair.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
It not prescribed to strengthen hair.. If you have an allergic reaction or something, the hair loss would of stopped and regrew after you stopped using it. You probably have male pattern baldness that coincidentally started when you started Nizoral.

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
it can be possible that nizoral destroys ur front. For me it does a pretty good job on my vertex. My front is thinning . finasteride does work great on vertex while many ppl out there take a hit on the hairline/temples with finasteride.

since atm i only have hair loss in the temples /front ,i maybe drop nizoral for some weeks to see if it goes better

tbst594

Reaction score
I am using generic finasteride + nizoral for 2 months and have noticed my temples are thinner.
I'm reducing my nizoral frequency to once a week instead of 3 times a week.
Will see how that pans out ...

TheHandsomeLurker

Established Member
Reaction score
it can be possible that nizoral destroys ur front. For me it does a pretty good job on my vertex. My front is thinning . finasteride does work great on vertex while many ppl out there take a hit on the hairline/temples with finasteride.

since atm i only have hair loss in the temples /front ,i maybe drop nizoral for some weeks to see if it goes better

No, if ketoconazole helps your hair, it's not going to harm one spot on your head and help another.

Perusing the medical literature, there are a few studies (study 1, study 2, study 3) which suggest that ketoconazole increases anagen hair count and decreases shedding, and no studies which suggest that it is somehow selective of hair follicles it helps and hurts.

If ketoconazole causes your hair to thin, just stop using it. But it's fallacious to assume that keto causes frontal thinning just because your hair thinned at the front while using it (post hoc ergo proctor hoc). More than likely, if your hairline thins while using Nizoral, it's because of male pattern baldness -- as far as science has determined, all of the hair loss meds we currently have only slow down the process. They don't stop it completely. And the front is almost always the first to go.

bashful

Reaction score
It not prescribed to strengthen hair.. If you have an allergic reaction or something, the hair loss would of stopped and regrew after you stopped using it. You probably have male pattern baldness that coincidentally started when you started Nizoral.

But I'm not a male. Wouldn't it be unusual for me to get male pattern baldness? I have discovered that it wasn't actually Nizoral that I was using but Ketopine, though the main ingredient is the same. Hair loss as a possible side effect is listed as a very low risk. Much less likely than with Nizoral. So I'm mystified.

Maxxorr

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would like to add my voice to the number all ready out there.

It appears Nizoral is not a benign helpful tool in hairloss. I can confirm it causes considerable shedding, in a specific pattern that others have commented on: visible thinning at the front, crown seems less affected.

It may be that it is easy to overuse, but I don't think this garbage is worth the risk. I read on some site (probably this one), that it was an 'essential weapon against hairloss, an anti-inflammatory and anti-androgen'

Just whoever wrote that didn't realize it actually causes dramatic thinning. Perhaps they didn't have enough data to make that recommendation.

If you like you hair at the front, don't use Nizoral.

I have experienced the same!
Even before Nizoral I've had a very dry scalp, but with Nizoral it is crispy-fried.....