Nizoral and dutasteride

G

Can someone please tell me if they are ok to use together? Is Nizoral expected to be used with dutasteride, like it is with Propecia? I think I saw that there is a negative drug interaction but want to see what you guys think.

THANKS!

notsobaldguy

Reaction score
wordup said:
Can someone please tell me if they are ok to use together? Is Nizoral expected to be used with dutasteride, like it is with Propecia? I think I saw that there is a negative drug interaction but want to see what you guys think.

THANKS!

This is a great question! I'd like to know this as well! I just switched to dutasteride in May after 13 months on Propecia and was wondering if I should switch shampoos, too. And if so, what brand is a good alternative? I've been experiencing some shedding (which I was expecting, anyway), but I'm wondering if this is due to a possible interaction between the Avodart & Nizoral or if it's just a normal shedding period. Hopefully, someone will weigh in on this.

TTThomasaz1

Reaction score
hey notsobald guy..I had been on propcecia for about 2 years and have noticed Im still losing ground..Thinking about switching to dutasteride..Have you noticed a difference since switching? I almost felt like propecia accelerated my hair loss..

notsobaldguy

Reaction score
TTThomasaz1 said:
hey notsobald guy..I had been on propcecia for about 2 years and have noticed Im still losing ground..Thinking about switching to dutasteride..Have you noticed a difference since switching? I almost felt like propecia accelerated my hair loss..

Everyone responds to medications differently. While taking Propecia, I was expecting to AT LEAST halt my hairloss completely and maybe see some regrowth if I was lucky. I felt that after 13 months, it just slowed my progression. The results weren't bad, just not what I'd hoped for.

After much deliberation, I decided to give Avodart a try. I've only been using it since the beginning of this May, so it's still much too early to judge. 6-9 months is usually a good timeline to reassess your progress. Evan then, results may not be visible until the 1 year mark.

The key is to be patient and take the medication consistently, every day (don't custom dose, double doses, skip doses, etc.). Also, it's best to ignore the paranoia surrounding dutasteride! Just take your meds and trust that you're doing all you can. If you're in doubt, consult a good dermatologist. As long as you're not sprouting C-cup sized boobs and your schlong doesn't wither up, you're fine.

Basically, I'm curious to know, just as is the OP, whether Nizoral shampoo is safe to use with Avodart. The drug interaction checker would indicate otherwise. If that's the case, I'd like to know what a good anti-inflammatory shampoo would be in place of nizoral.

TTThomasaz1

Reaction score
T0 kind of help u out with the nizoral question I have been usuing for a long time..Its best to use every 3rd day and always wash your hair with cool or cold water..I used to wash with warm or hot and my hairloss looked horrible..I feel nix is the best out there for cleansing your head of sebum. I also throw in Nioxin once a week for the DHT build up..

I quit taking propcia about 2 months ago and still using rogaine liquid..I cant honestly say so far my hair pgment and overall apperaeance is better then on propecia. I have been on minoxidil for 2 years straight..I always noticed on propecia i could pull out hair hair very easily...Once I quit propecia, that pretty much went away. Not saying im a lot better now, but im holding ground..for now..lol

Anyway Wanted to start generic dutas next month..Was just wondering if I should start or wait out just using minoxidil and nizoral for 6 months. Never just been on those 2. Any thoughts?

notsobaldguy

Reaction score
TTThomasaz1 said:
T0 kind of help u out with the nizoral question I have been usuing for a long time..Its best to use every 3rd day and always wash your hair with cool or cold water..I used to wash with warm or hot and my hairloss looked horrible..I feel nix is the best out there for cleansing your head of sebum. I also throw in Nioxin once a week for the DHT build up..

I quit taking propcia about 2 months ago and still using rogaine liquid..I cant honestly say so far my hair pgment and overall apperaeance is better then on propecia. I have been on minoxidil for 2 years straight..I always noticed on propecia i could pull out hair hair very easily...Once I quit propecia, that pretty much went away. Not saying im a lot better now, but im holding ground..for now..lol

Anyway Wanted to start generic dutas next month..Was just wondering if I should start or wait out just using minoxidil and nizoral for 6 months. Never just been on those 2. Any thoughts?

I already know the regimen for Nizoral useage. I'd been using it successfully with Propecia. My question is: Does it counteract the effects of Avodart, and if so, what is a good substitute for nizoral that won't interfere with the medication.

No. Don't wait to get on Dutasteride. If you've given Propecia a full two years, then it sounds like you've exhausted that avenue and it's time to take your regimen to the next level.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey this is a good question...i know that dutasteride and keto arent supposed to be taken together...but i didnt think nizoral was systematically absorbed but im not 100% sure...

I used nizoral like once a week or so while on dutasteride, ive been on dutasteride for 16 months or so with good success...But recently ive been upping the applications of nizoral to 2-3 times a week. If it somehow interferes with dutasteride id obviously stop... Anyone know this? Bryan or Dr. Proctor?

G

Can somebody please answer this?

It seems pretty important for those of us on dutasteride.

Thanks!

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
wordup said:
Can somebody please answer this?

It seems pretty important for those of us on dutasteride.

Thanks!

If you want results on Dutasteride you should use Nizoral as often as you can. If it is too arsh on your scalp get a better brand..there is a couple of them on the market right now containing the keto stuff without leaving that craZY dryness effects that normally occur lol.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No its not dangerous to use together, there is no interaction.. if you guys want to find out if any regiment of coctail drugs have interaction look at the top in this forum section... its a sticky with a site where you can put in youre combo to check for that....
Some times maybe you should read the things in the forums.......
There is a reason wy its a sticky on topp of the site so its always easy to see...

templemonk

Established Member
Reaction score
i'v been using finasteride for about 30 months and it's been pretty good. but recently i feel like the finasteride can no longer hold my hairs and things are going downhill. so i'm thinking about switching to dutasteride.
those of you who switched to dutasteride from finasteride..
did you cut off the finasteride cold turkey and then jumped into dutasteride? or maybe take them both like everyother day then slowly switched?
do you think it is a gamble to switch to dutasteride from finasteride?

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm taking dutas with topical nizoral shampoo for the past 8 months

3x/week or sometimes 2x/week not exactly how much times but

sometimes my head is very dry from nizoral after 3rd day and after use of hour i can see pretty much oil coming out from scalp like temples and vertex. it will reduce by third day with dry hair and scalp sounds crazy .............