Nizoral A-D v. Nizoral 2%

msb0014

Reaction score
I bought Nizoral 2% on United Pharmacies.com website (Oversea company - didn't need prescription) and the manufacturer is Janssen-Cilag. Is this same Nizoral 2% that they sell with a prescription like in Canada? I'm in the U.S. and they sell Nizoral A-D here OTC. What's the difference and is the Nizoral 2% I bought online safe?

Balding

Reaction score
I picked up the 2% here in the U.S. after getting a prescription. If your bottle looks like this then you probably have the same stuff.
PICT0003.JPG.jpg

msb0014

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic, MMMM..... Interesting, the 2% bottle I have is different - the color is white but the labeling and the shape is different. The actual color of the shampoo is the same as the cover though.

Like you, I also have the 1% over the counter stuff.

I'm thinking of not using it the 2% and just using the 1% (A-D).

Anyone else out there with my dilemma? Thoughts?

The Gardener

Reaction score
You can buy another variant of nizoral 2 from this website, w/o precsription:

http://www.nizoral2percent.com

On this topic, I just read an interesting article. It says the Malassezia spp fungus, which is the fungus that occurs naturally on the scalp of humans and causes seb derm related irritation and it's ensuing inflammatory response, can develop a resistance to 'azole' type drugs over time.

Thus, I am again wondering if there truly is some importance in mixing up your antifungals, cycling in the occasional T/Gel and/or Head and Shoulders, when determining a shampoo regimen.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Hey Cass. Yes, I understand what you are saying and it makes sense. I have gone through a period where I was cycling my medicated shampoos religiously and now I think my scalp is a bit the worse for wear as it seems a little 'tight'. I'm thinking of cutting back down to nizoral twice and T/Sal twice, and letting my scalp have a day off three times a week just to see if this alleviates some of the tightness. One thing is for sure, I have definitely napalmed any semblance of inflammation I ever had, my scalp is as clean and itch-free as ever.