Nizoral 1% or 2% ? And why not everyday ?

mrfuture

Reaction score
Hi everyone...first time here for me. I am 23 and I have the impression that if I do not start taking care of my hair now, by 30 I might start to see some baldness.

Anyways, my first step was to purchse Nizoral at the local CVS Pharmacy, however I found out that my version has 1% of its main ingredient, while most of you use the 2% version. Does it make any difference, and if yes, where should I buy the 2% ?

Also, why is it that everybody suggests using it only 3-4 times per week, and not everyday ? I take a shower every morning to go to work, therefore I use shampoo everyday. Will using Nizoral every day have any side effect ?

Any other suggestions for shampoos and conditioners to use in addition to Nizoral ?

Thanx a lot

maintainence1

Established Member
Reaction score
1% was proven to have virtually the same results as 2%. JUst go ahead and use 1%.

Most people think it dries out the hair/ scalp too much to use every day.

I like using an emu oil conditioner when I use Nizoral. Emu oil makes my hair look a less dry after I use Nizoral.

whatthehell

Reaction score
well if you can get 2% for the same price then get that because its helped regrow some hair in men, im not sure about the 1%, no real difference between them really

c

Established Member
Reaction score
i've just cut down on using nizoral 1% from once every second day (for about 7 months), to only twice a week.

My scalp now seems less irritated.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nizoral has never dried my scalp, but different scalps will react differently to Ketoconazole (Nizoral).

Ketoconazole is a mild anti-androgen that is said to have a similar effect on hair growth as Minoxidil 2%.

In theory the overuse of Nizoral could damage the natural balance of scalp flora.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have a suspicion that nizoral is most beneficial to people who have naturally oily scalps. I have naturally thin, dry hair, and nizoral tends to kind of frazzle it, although I will continue to use it because I believe in its antiandrogenic qualities.