Nic's Story - (23 /thinning for 4 years)

TanbarkBellss

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I've been mostly lurking around in the "success stories" section of the forums for a few months for inspiration and belief. There's some great stories in there.
Now, with a series of questions and a desire for support, i decided it's time to register to the forum.

My story is this:
I'm 23 years old. My hair has been thinning for about 4 years, slowly but surely. In the past 10 months, it has gotten to the point where my thinning is noticeable. In the past 5 months, it has gotten to the point where my friends have started commenting on it.

I would say i'm a reasonably attractive guy (i'm not a hunk or anything) but i really don't want to go bald. Lately i have been feeling quite down on myself and anxious in social situations, because i feel like all my 21-24 year old friends now look at me different now that they believe i'm gonna go bald. So i really really want to take action.

I've been on and off finasteride here and there. In 2008 i went through 5 or 6 month (give or take 2 months. can't remember exactly) period where i was taking finasteride. Back then my hair actually still looked good, so it was more of a preventative measure. It seemed to work okay. I didn't take pictures so i can't be sure. But it felt like it stopped the hair loss. Whether anything grew back i'm not sure, but i'm pretty sure not. However, i was lazy with the regime and often missed taking the pill on weekends and other days too sometimes. Eventually i ran out of the pills and didn't buy another packet until...

Enter 2010.
In about August last year i started a regime up again. I was pretty serious about the regime this time. After seeing so many good success stories in this forum i was armed with the belief that this was going to work if i just stuck with it. At this point in time my hair loss was quite serious & obvious, and i was feeling quite insecure & depressed about my hair situation (remember, i'm only 23!) and really wanted to do something aobut it. I could no longer conceal it and people were noticing. Even my crown is thin.
I took the pill every day (every now and then i would miss a day, but that was rare). And i was using minoxidol about once a day too. I was also using Nizoral about 2 - 3 times a week. I experienced more hair loss, but i figured it was shedding and decided I would look towards about Feb/March this year to start seeing results.

However in November last year i lost my job and it fucked up my financial situation. So once i ran out of finasteride/minoxidil in late December i couldn't buy anymore, so consequently it broke my routine.
So since late December my routine has stopped and my hair has suffered for it. Heart breaking!!!

Anyway, i recently ordered some more finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral which should come in the mail this week. And now i'm going to start the regime again, and this time i'm more determined than ever. I'm going to take pictures of before and after this time too.
Also, and in september last year me and my girlfriend of 4 years broke up, which adds to the determination. :p
And that's my story.

Now, here's my questions:

- Since i was in a regime for 4-5 months last year, what can i expect to happen, results-wise, when i start up a regime again this year? Will positive results be more effective/responsive or less effective/responsive? Will i skip the shedding phase because i already did that late last year? Or will i shed again?
- When one is in the midst of a regime, how serious of a mistake is it to miss a day of taking your finasteride? Occassionally in past regime's i would miss a day. This happened probably once for every week. Is that gonna affect things?
- What happens if you're on finasteride daily but minoxidil is only once a day instead of twice?

Thanks for your time everyone! And i look forward to starting up a journal of my regime & results here soon. :)