ABJac

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

For other medical conditions outside of hair loss, but in some ways related, I have been prescribed a daily medication that I have been taking for years, along with the following two vitamins as a adjunct supplement.

http://www.jarrow.com/product/57/B-Right
http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Products/Product_Details/514/?ProdID=1530

The balances within these two supplements are extremely effective, and come high recommended by two very good doctors I see. While I am not veteran because my hair loss is early stage, I am extremely well versed in the most recent and experimental of treatments and causes of hair loss, so I understand the limitation of supplements.

My question is about NIACIN only. With recent awareness of PDG2 and its role in hair loss, I am trying to get to the bottom of the connection between the two. On one hand I have heard niacin is largely beneficial in combating hair loss due to anti-inflammitory actions, vasodilatation, and general health benefits, but on the other hand I am finding a lot of information about Niacin inducing PDG2 expression. Is anyone here familiar with these, and is there one clear answer to this or has it not been looked far enough into? I believe it is fairly common knowledge that both ACNE and hair loss are related because they are both androgen mediated conditions, and I can attest to and know for a fact it is medically recognized that niacin works absolute wonders for treating acne, the issue is long term use and continuous flushing. What I am trying to figure out is:

- Does Niacin actually have an effect on PDG2 good or bad?
- Are the positive effects enough to out way the negatives if there are any
- And does Niacin have an affinity to make hair loss worse, or is not enough to really have an effect either way

:hmmm::unsure:

Reaction score
Well there is one guy on here who swears by niacin flushing as a cure. I did try it for a month or so and my hair and scalp felt great. I just couldn't stand the flushes anymore.

rjmogka

Reaction score
I used it too for a few weeks and of course it wasn't enough for halting hair loss,
but I can tell you for sure that my hair looked too great, was very easy to style etc...
I actually consider taking it again.
But as Wazoo there said, the flushes it's something you can't ignore.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
You really need to take Niacin with a lot of food...I was splitting a 500mg tablet with a pill splitter and then crushing 1/2 half of it between a couple of spoons...the powder would go into my smoothie and my flushes would be diminished quite a bit...right now, I am taking 100mg three times a day on a full stomach and I don't even get the flushes now...just because you're not getting the flushes doesn't mean it isn't doing anything...300mg is quite a bit on a daily basis

Gold Top

Reaction score
I used to get a Niacin Flush/Rash a lot when I was younger. I then went on a Gluten Free diet and find that I don't get a Niacin Flush anymore.

The only explanation I can think of is that the Gluten Free diet might be reducing the activity of the PG1 and PDG2 receptors that are associated with Niacin Flush and Baldness.