News Report

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just watching channel 7 news and they had a segment on a new discovery at the University of Pennsylvania. I then tried to find an article on the net about it. I think the link below is the same thing. I now the concept described is nothing new, but what was interesting was that the head scientist said they were about to start clinical trials. He believes that if everthing goes to plan there could be a commercially available product in 3years or so. I am not getting overly excited about it, but definately worth following.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/71152.php

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Hi AE,

I saw the Today show this morning, and it had the same report! Univ. Penn was interviewed about this new "breakthrough" formula they've made... Supposedly, they apply this solution that contains stem cells to a fresh wound on the scalp, then ACTUAL follicles start forming.

The photos were amazing.

There might be a video on Youtube of Matt Lauer and "bald cure".

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thanks for the post, very encouraging. If you take a look on the Today Show website, this interview is still featured as one of the top stories, for today, anyway. Man, this is exciting. Hard not to get excited about it. And the reason that I think this actually might work, oddly enough, is that it was found by a fluke, like many other treatments that we have today. History repeating itself as recurring flukes!=)

joemadrid

Reaction score
I now think that the famous ICTX "dermis prestimulation" is no other than a small dermabrasion before injections.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable, but I can't see them performing dermabrasion to just the small area where they inject the multiplied dermal papilla sells. I mean, if dermabrasion is the answer, then they probably will perform dermabrasion on the entire bald area, and they inject the dp cells.

If ICX is using dermabrasion as their pre-stimulation technique, then we have one company, Follica, which is using dermabrasion + some compound which sort of induces the stem cells on the scalp to migrate and grow?, and ICX which uses dermabrasion + multiplied dp cells. I would think that the ICX approach would still be more robust, in that there is no reason to believe that the multiplied cells would simply die off again to DHT, whereas I can see that happening in the Follica approach. But we'll see what happens. Interesting stuff!

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sounds promising. Since they get media coverage they might attract investors. Fingers crossed that it is not another "5-year away" cure!