News report about smoking and hair loss

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
If you're 'programmed' to be bald you will be with/without cigs but there is still true in this article. I think that smoking can speed up your hairloss, strange but my hair loss problem started after i started smoking cigs. It's really bad habbit it's better to smoke pot atleast is less addictive :mrgreen:

JonnyBgood

Reaction score
Well......I never really worry too much about cancer. With this new light, however, I wish I never started smoking.....

emery

Established Member
Reaction score
i wish they can do a study about drinkin BEER and COFFEE... i think the result will shock many people living in North America! men blading is much worst here in North American than any part of the world... If it is not BEER and COFFEE it must be the water in the LAKE!

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
So can hair be restored if smoking was a cause after cessation? May be a slow process but possible. I smoke about 8 a day and am on the verge of quiitting very soon. Probably on my last pack. Is there any chance that hair that was lost from smoking (if even possible) can be restored after quitting?

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
gsxr60097 said:
So can hair be restored if smoking was a cause after cessation? May be a slow process but possible. I smoke about 8 a day and am on the verge of quiitting very soon. Probably on my last pack. Is there any chance that hair that was lost from smoking (if even possible) can be restored after quitting?
I doubt it... the article above suggests that the effects remain even after quitting. I wouldn't take the article as gospel either, as it doesn't seem to be written by someone who is actually experienced in the treatment or diagnosis of Alopecia.

But common sense would also suggest that the cigarettes may not actually cause the hair loss, but rather speed up the process of the MBP... and in that case, quitting it won't give you back the hair you have lost because the hair was still lost due to the MBP, not the actual nicotine addiction. However, quitting may slow down the MBP process back to normal (whatever that may be), which may not even be noticeable.

I still think it's a good step as far as treatments go... I have not had a single cigarette for 7 weeks now and am definitely not going back there. I don't know if quitting has had an impact on my treatments, or the amount of hairs I shed, but the monetary and health benefits are definitely worth it. Having said that, I'll let you know if my hair suddenly doubles in density! :mrgreen:

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
I smoke about 3 a day (only 2 today), but more socially, and it doesn't worry me too much. I have no intention in upping the number I smoke per day, and I will probably quit in a few years time anyway. To be honest, I'm more worried about the sexual side-effects of smoking, but I think you need to be smoking a lot of cigarettes over many, many years before that becomes a problem. I think I'll stick to worrying about the sexual side-effects of finasteride...

JonnyBgood

Reaction score
My grandmother smoked like a chimney and her hair started thinning much more than any woman in my family....

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Yea,

I quit smoking about two months ago. I didn't know it might cause hairloss. This will be a carrot for not getting back puffing.
It is difficult to quit, I know. I have tried so many times before but hopefully this time I wont get back again. Hey I read that Allen Carr book. I heard the guy passed away from Lung Cancer last year :I Sad story, but he was around smokers even after he quit so that was maybe the reason.

anyway, if you are having problems quitting I strongly suggest that book, Easyway to stop smoking by Allen Carr.
:}

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
*lol* I just posted a huge thread on that book in the off topic section..... :mrgreen: