NEWS about soya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oni

Reaction score
Has anyone heard the news about soya?

Soy 'stops cancer and baldness'

Researchers believe the molecule could help treat baldness
Scientists have claimed that eating soy could help prevent men from developing prostate cancer and from going bald.
US researchers found a molecule produced in the intestine when soy is digested stops a hormone which can fuel prostate growth or cause baldness.

Writing in the journal Biology of Reproduction, they said the finding could explain why Japanese men, who eat more soya, rarely have prostate cancer.

They said the molecule could be used as a treatment for cancer and baldness.

These findings are of immense clinical importance

Dr Kenneth Setchell, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
The team found that the molecule, equol, "handcuffs" the male hormone DHT - a by-product of testosterone.

The researchers say this could be particularly important for men who have been diagnosed with either an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia), or cancer of the prostate.

DHT has also been implicated in research into the causes of male pattern baldness.

Other drugs developed in recent years aimed at blocking the effect of DHT have been developed.

But these drugs, which stopped an enzyme converting testosterone into DHT, were found to cause side effects.

'Holy grail'

The US researchers found equol does not prevent DHT from being made, but it does stop it functioning.

They carried out two experiments on rats which showed injecting equol into male rats reduced the size of the prostate.

In one, the testes of male rats were removed, so they produced no DHT. When investigators injected DHT into rats, their prostates grew.

When they injected rats with both equol and DHT, the equol prevented the DHT from functioning as it normally would - as a stimulator of prostate growth.

Professor Robert Handa, from Colorado State's College of Veterinary Medicine, who led the research, said: "Directly binding and inactivating DHT without influencing testosterone gives equol the ability to reduce many of the harmful effects of androgens [male hormones] without affecting the beneficial ones."

Dr Kenneth Setchell, of Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, who first identified the potential of equol 20 years ago, said: "These findings are of immense clinical importance because blocking the action of the potent male hormone DHT has been one of the holy grails of the pharmaceutical industry as a strategy for treating prostate cancer and other related diseases."

He said the soy molecule did this "very effectively."

A spokesman for Cancer Research UK told BBC News Online: "One third of all cancers are thought to be linked to diet but it is not known exactly which components of our diet protect against cancer or indeed place us at increased risk.

"We do know that countries with a high intake of soy in their diet, such as Japan, tend to have lower rates of prostate cancer and some other types, with the active ingredients in soy thought to be isoflavones.

"There's a lot of research into whether isoflavones can be used to prevent the spread of prostate cancer, which usually develops slowly."

He added: "This study is interesting in that it raises the possibility of using a metabolite of isoflavones as a preventative agent against prostate cancer, which is now the most commonly diagnosed cancer in British men."

Yardbird

Established Member
Reaction score
I fully believe soy has numerous health benefits. Whether it helps with hair or not is really open for discussion, and hopefully for further research. If it does help with hair, that's a definite plus since I eat it regularly.

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I would love to hear what Bruce Lee had to say about this because he was always bad mouthing soy. Saying it raised estrogen or something. Can anyone say more about this?

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sounds great, but where did you get this information, and is it new?

Thanks.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
"comparing rates of male pattern baldness across cultures doesn't really tell us much because there are too many differences between the lifestyle in Japan and the lifestyle in Europe and North America. To get the real story, we would need to compare frequent soya consumers in Japan to people in Japan who don't eat soya."

above is sort of quoted from another source...

lynne

Reaction score
well i read that only 30-50% of people can actually convert the active ingredient in their intestine, which begs the question: dowsn't that mean over half of japan n china would have had the potential to go bald?

o yeh n i also read from 1 of rage's comments that u shudn't be taken any soy if ur on finasteride or any anti dht medicine, cos the dht is what stops u gettin b**ch tits wen ur high in estrogen.

extremekicks

Established Member
Reaction score
I say go in moderation if you choose some soy products dont eat it everyday. Maybe 3x a week. Worth a try. I eat firm soy about 3 to 4 x a week and Im not gettin no bitchy titties.

Keep marching well all get there sooner or later

Pce Brian

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
This topic has been raised here in these forums about 6 times in the last month. Please use the search feature (original poster - press search and type, for example, soya in the box) for more information in the other threads.

As for this article - its not as simple as "soy stops baldness". Its the biprodeuct of digested soy in the intestine that has the ability to do something related to stopping hair loss. It would need to be collected, tested, quantified, and analyzed to see exactly what it does for hair loss and what dose would be needed, etc... in order to be useful to us as a product.

The issue of soy raising estrogen is a real one as well. This is very similar to the Green Tea / DHT inhibitor issue. Someone finds that something inhibits DHT in a test tube, but mass quantities of it would need to be ingested on such a large scale that it makes it unrealistic to use Green Tea as a DHT inhibitor. The side issues of caffeine overdosing (not literally) and extreme peeing, etc. etc. etc would make it unrealistic.

As mentioned, if someone could bottle it, quantify it, and determine what amounts would be necessary to actually maintain hair counts, we could determine if its a realistic method for fighting hair loss.

Try to keep the whole picture when evaluating things like this. There is a lot more involved than just inhibiting DHT.

Also keep an eye out because some jackass is sure to take advantage of this article and put together a "soya" product and point to the article as their "proof" that it helps hair loss, without doing the necessary clinical testing... just to make a buck off of us. If you see one in the coming months, make sure that they list some published clinical trial data they've done to make sure the product works, before you buy it.

HairLossTalk.com

ColtsFan

Established Member
Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com,

Good point, I see a snake oiler in the making, with a topical soy product, and they would use articles like this to back it.

Who is that one doctor that says soy is bascially dangerous stuff and should not be ingested?? Im not sure what his motivation is but he has a web site and its loaded with anti soy articles.

Wish I could remember, but Im hung over after watching my Pacers dispose of the Heat last night. Im just glad I dont have to watch Duane Wade scare the sh*t out of me anymore.....

artvandaley

Established Member
Reaction score
I was glad to see the Pacers win too, but Duane Wade is definitely gonna be a superstar in the NBA, he's got skill.

ColtsFan

Established Member
Reaction score
Artvandaley,
Man does he ever have skills....luckily our defense had just enough in the tank to get it done. Im glad they didnt let him take the last shot cuz I gotta feel as hot as he was he would have drained it.

Mad love to you for cheering the Pacers! God knows ESPN just wanted to talk about Wade and the Heat missing shots, and not the team that actually won. Its typical though and were used to it ....

c

Established Member
Reaction score
By choice i have a diet rich in soy, and it doesn't seem to prevent/stop/reduce hair loss in my experience.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
oni said:
They carried out two experiments on rats which showed injecting equol into male rats reduced the size of the prostate.

In one, the testes of male rats were removed, so they produced no DHT.

Blimey, I guess if you're bad enough in this life that could be your punishment - reincarnation as a lab rat :freaked2:

ColtsFan

Established Member
Reaction score
you never know your loss may be worse if you didnt sonsume soy.

Ive been drinking just the basic green tea from China "FooJoy" and then mixing it with some Vanilla soy milk, and its actually smooth and tastey. Just a hint of sweetness, and for those people who dont like the taste of either soy or green tea, you may be surprised at how palitable this combination is.....