Newly Discovered Factor in Androgenetic Alopecia. The Cure is Near?

yassin

Established Member
Reaction score
Washington: Researchers have discovered an abnormal amount of a protein called Prostaglandin D2 in the bald scalp of men with male pattern baldness.

The discovery by researchers at Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania may lead directly to new treatments for the most common cause of hair loss in men.

In both human and animal models, researchers found that a prostaglandin known as PGD2 and its derivative, 15-dPGJ2, inhibit hair growth.

The PGD2-related inhibition occurred through a receptor called GPR44, which is a promising therapeutic target for androgenetic alopecia in both men and women with hair loss and thinning.

Male pattern baldness strikes 8 of 10 men under 70 years old, and causes hair follicles to shrink and produce microscopic hairs, which grow for a shorter duration of time than normal follicles.

Researchers took an unbiased approach when scanning for potential biological causes of baldness, looking in scalp tissue from balding and non-bald spots from men with male pattern baldness and then corroborating findings in mouse models.

They found that levels of PGD2 were elevated in bald scalp tissue at levels 3 times greater than what was found in comparative haired scalp of men with androgenetic alopecia.

When PGD2 was added to cultured hair follicles, PGD2-treated hair was significantly shortly, while PGD2``s derivative, 15-dPGJ2, completely inhibited hair growth.

“Although a different prostaglandin was known to increase hair growth, our findings were unexpected, as prostaglandins haven`t been thought about in relation to hair loss, yet it made sense that there was an inhibitor of hair growth, based on our earlier work looking at hair follicle stem cells,â€￾ said George Cotsarelis, MD, chair and professor of Dermatology, and senior author on the studies.

In a Penn study published last year, underlying hair follicle stem cells were found intact, suggesting that the scalp was lacking an activator or something was inhibiting hair follicle growth.

Prostaglandins are well characterized for their role in many bodily functions – controlling cell growth, constricting and dilating smooth muscle tissue – and a different prostaglandin (F2alpha) is known to increase hair growth.

Researchers found that as PGD2 inhibits hair growth, other prostaglandins work in opposition, enhancing and regulating the speed of hair growth.

While these studies looked at Androgenetic Alopecia in men, the researchers noted that prostaglandins may represent a common pathway shared by both men and women with Androgenetic Alopecia.

Future studies, potentially testing topical treatments that may target GPR44, can determine whether targeting prostaglandins will benefit woman with Androgenetic Alopecia as well.

The study has been published in Science Translational Medicine.

http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/4/126/126ra34

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: A recently discovered new factor in AA, the cure is near :)

So you really think the cure is near?

T

TravisB

Even if it's near, I would still understand "near" as more or less 10 years unfortunately...

Experienced Member
Reaction score

TravisB said:
Even if it's near, I would still understand "near" as more or less 10 years unfortunately...

that's not the point.... if this thing truly worked then I'm sure people will start making their own batches of this stuff. No need to wait for anyone to "release" anything.

yassin

Established Member
Reaction score

yes, there's already about 10 PGD2 synthase inhibitors in the market used for different purposes , if any primary researches shows its effectiveness against androgenic alopecia, many people will be ready to use them (like nizorla which is also anti-inflammatory), I think these drugs will be much cheaper than finasteride or minoxidil because they will be mainly anti inflammatory drugs that are already used in other fields. they also must be safer because they don't work on any sex hormones.

abcdefg

Reaction score

There are tons of news articles yesterday/today about this so its a pretty big discovery. Its related to stem cells but time will tell how it actually does assuming a company actually turns it into an actual product.
Lets put it this way it could turn out to be huge or less then that either way its probably a lot better then our current crappy treatments.

yassin

Established Member
Reaction score

today I spent most of the day searching about this to find a way to inhibit prostaglandin D2 synthase enzyme

1. aspirin >
aspirin is a prostaglandin inhibitor but I'm not sure if it inhibits prostaglandin D2, as it's a special prostaglandin , and not much info are known about it
people used aspirin for years and didn't note any effect on hair, maybe because people on aspirin don't experience any type of hair loss

But I don't think that aspirin has any effect on AA

2. Inorganic selenium compounds
SeCl4, NaSeCo3, selenium disulfide
I think that the first two have never tried for Androgenic Alopecia and they don't have any clinical usage in medicine , so I think that they will be tried in the next few years orally & topically. but they will have significant side effects if they are used orally because PG-D2 is an important factor on the brain

selenium disulfide is already used topically on the scalp as a powerful antidandruff shamoo (head & shoulders clinical strength)
selenium disulfide shampoos are used in two concentrations
1% over the counter (head & shoulders clinical strength and other shampoos)
2.5% available with prescribtion

3. organic sources of selenium
"egg" not the most sources but it's the best two take twice a day
1 egg is sufficient for your daily requirement of selenium
tuna fish is also very rich in selenium
you can also find other sources of organic selenium in this link
http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000 ... 00000.html

4. mast cell stabilizers (e.g. chromoglicic acid)
as PG-D2 is only synthesized away from the brain by mast cells "only"
mast cell stabilizers are used in bronchial asthma as a nasal spray or an inhaler.

Loomis

Reaction score

yassin said:
today I spent most of the day searching about this to find a way to inhibit prostaglandin D2 synthase enzyme

1. aspirin >
aspirin is a prostaglandin inhibitor but I'm not sure if it inhibits prostaglandin D2, as it's a special prostaglandin , and not much info are known about it
people used aspirin for years and didn't note any effect on hair, maybe because people on aspirin don't experience any type of hair loss

But I don't think that aspirin has any effect on AA

2. Inorganic selenium compounds
SeCl4, NaSeCo3, selenium disulfide
I think that the first two have never tried for Androgenic Alopecia and they don't have any clinical usage in medicine , so I think that they will be tried in the next few years orally & topically. but they will have significant side effects if they are used orally because PG-D2 is an important factor on the brain

selenium disulfide is already used topically on the scalp as a powerful antidandruff shamoo (head & shoulders clinical strength)
selenium disulfide shampoos are used in two concentrations
1% over the counter (head & shoulders clinical strength and other shampoos)
2.5% available with prescribtion

3. organic sources of selenium
"egg" not the most sources but it's the best two take twice a day
1 egg is sufficient for your daily requirement of selenium
tuna fish is also very rich in selenium
you can also find other sources of organic selenium in this link
http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000 ... 00000.html

4. mast cell stabilizers (e.g. chromoglicic acid)
as PG-D2 is only synthesized away from the brain by mast cells "only"
mast cell stabilizers are used in bronchial asthma as a nasal spray or an inhaler.

Someone on another forum posted this about this new research,

There are two types of PGD2 receptors, DP1 and DP2 (DP2 is also known as 'GPR44' and 'CRTH2'). Laropiprant (Merck's drug) selectively blocks the PD1 receptor - Cotsarelis showed that the PD2 receptor (and not PD1) is involved in hair growth downregulation. BTW, niacin produces flushing via the PD1 receptor - the PD2 receptor is not involved in the flushing at all.

and then this

Setipiprant by Actelion blocks the right PGD2 receptor implicated in male pattern baldness (PD2). Right now, setipiprant is in phase 2/3 testing.

Belmondo

Established Member
Reaction score

yassin said:
Washington: Researchers have discovered an abnormal amount of a protein called Prostaglandin D2 in the bald scalp of men with male pattern baldness. [...]

This seems great but is there a causal relationship between the two (MPP - high levels of Prostaglandin D2)? Do we know for sure that it's the protein that's causing MPP?

Anarch

Established Member
Reaction score

If there are already PG-D2 blockers on the market, someone needs to try some on their noggin. :dunno: And their might be generic formulas in India if we can't get a prescription for allergies.

Anarch

Established Member
Reaction score

Vitamin E Succinate

Aspirin

I could only find Succinate in dry form, while Aspirin can be had in liquid but sold in bulk to livestock farmers.

K

Kirby

Quick, somebody please be a guinea pig for the benefit of all of us!

T

TravisB

You see how this new finding emerged out of nowhere? I wonder if it's really a breaktrough, someone must try this.

However, it shows that the cure for baldness might come any time. All it needs is possibly one discovery like this.

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score

Belmondo said:
yassin said:
Washington: Researchers have discovered an abnormal amount of a protein called Prostaglandin D2 in the bald scalp of men with male pattern baldness. [...]

This seems great but is there a causal relationship between the two (MPP - high levels of Prostaglandin D2)? Do we know for sure that it's the protein that's causing MPP?

Part of the research was an experiment with genetically altered rats/mice which appeared to demonstrate a casual relationship between the PGD2 pathway and hair loss.

abcdefg

Reaction score

I am really curious to see some results or studies on what happens if you block these. Does it regrow hair or just prevent hair from miniaturizing? What if combined with androgen inhibitors maybe we can finally prevent hair loss for your whole life time that would be a huge accomplishment just in itself being able to prevent male pattern baldness.

calamus

Reaction score

any have the full text of this paper

Weezert

Reaction score

I work in science research in an area not unrelated to this. I think of all the breakthroughs we've had so far, this one is the most promising. For the first time we've found a direct cause and effect for pattern baldness, and that is something we've never had before. Let me illustrate it for you in a way that hopefully makes you realise how significant this is:

Dark Ages:
Masturbation >>>>>???????? >>>>>>> Hairloss (we had no idea)

(1990s)
DHT blocking slowly regrows hair>>>>>>>Blocking DHT>>>>>>>>>Regrowth/treatment for some but not all >>>>>> DHT touted as the main culprit>>>>> Clearly not a direct effect.

Now:
Raised PGD2 synthase>>>>increased activation of GPR44 receptor>>>>Hairloss, which was producible in animal models

Once drug companies jump on this receptor and start producing potent antagonists, I think we are facing a side-effect free way to block baldness from ever developing. Whether it will regrow for those who have lost, there is no way to tell so far. However, I would point out that finasteride regrows for some, so I don't see how blocking the direct receptor responsible for male pattern baldness would not produce regrowth. Time will tell I suppose.

I would warn you guys that taking any drugs that haven't been approved yet is high risk and, in my opinion, totally deplorable. I do not condone the taking of any drug that is not legally licensed at all. If you find yourself unable to resist taking the risk, then at least don't look for drugs that block PGD2-synthase. Chances are they will harm other portions of your body that rely on PGD2, not only that but they will likely be ineffective in the treatment of male pattern baldness compared to GPR44 antagonists.

For the good of your health, have patience guys.

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Weezert said:
For the good of your health, have patience guys.

patience for what? As far as I know, no one is working on making such drug and there is no guarantee that it will work better than finasteride...

abcdefg

Reaction score

I think someone will turn this into a treatment after they test it more there is not much reason to think otherwise given the money it could potentially make. They would not announce some new treatment so soon after this discovery. Also there are other similar drugs out there already so that should lessen the time it takes to get to an actual product by some amount.