Newbie wearer initial thoughts and questions on my first THATCH. Also, Which argon serum do you use?

HenryP

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had my first system fitted last week after lurking here for years. Got a couple questions.

The salon did a good job of cutting and fitting it, but I'm horrified at the extreme density of a so-called 'medium/light' stock system. This system has at least twice the amount (or at least volume) of hair I have ever had! And that's not a good thing! On the plus side, I know that if I go hunting and find a company who can do great custom pieces with European hair and lighter density for longer mid-length styles like mine then I think I could make it work, and at least I have a template to work from, so I'm trying to remain optimistic. When it is wet and wavy it looks quite good, but cos it is so dense it dries off mega quick anyway.

I'm using the salon-branded serum but I don't like the £20 price tag for a small bottle because I use lots to keep to nourished. Can anybody recommend a UK high street brand that is safe for systems with no harmful alcohol etc? Or do I just have to suck it up and go for the specifically-made serum? I know the salon marks up their products above market value because they charge twice the RRP for Walkers scalp protector etc, which kind of irks me after shelling out £800 on an almost comically dense hair system that is described as 'undetectable' (the price included 2 hour appointment for mould/fit/cut). My system almost feels how I would imagine Yaki hair to feel, although it is Chinese or Indian guess. If anybody remembers the Mysterious Cities of Gold, it reminds me of the character Tao. The salon is very professional and provides a great service, but I find the harsh colour and density of the system impossible to make look natural, especially at the part, even though they thinned it out some.

I've been advised to remove the system (it's a full monofilament lace system, all taped) once a week and do the shampoo/condition at that time. However I'm struggling after three days because I don't like the feeling of not 'washing' my scalp and bio hair in some way. Do any of you allow tepid water to run over your system and through the lace when you take your daily shower (without using shampoo/conditioner) - or would that adversely affect the tape bond too much?

Also, if anybody wants to recommend a supplier for lighter density, more 'European' texture hair systems (mine is about 7/8 inches,) do let me know.

Cheers folks!

Last edited:

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had my first system fitted last week after lurking here for years. Got a couple questions.

I'm using the salon-branded serum but I don't like the £20 price tag for a small bottle because I use lots to keep to nourished. Can anybody recommend a UK high street brand that is safe for systems with no harmful alcohol etc?

I've found Hask leave in conditioner spray really good. You can get in from Boots, or order online:

The only thing is that I'm not sure if it has any UV protection to help protect your system from fading in sunlight and bright lights, so I like to use a leave in conditioner with UV protection such as these:

HenryP

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ll try it out thanks I want mine to fade cos it looks too dyed atm, so no worries there ☺️

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you want it to fade then shampoo a few times with a harsh shampoo like Head & Shoulders. It's not great for the hair but will fade the colour a bit. Another thing that will fade the colour is direct/strong sunlight.

Use a leave-in conditioner spray to hold that wet look for longer. I use Aussie. Revlon is another one. Look back through previous posts and you'll find some recommendations.

£800 is ridiculous! I pay £650 for mine (the system + fitting + cut-in) and it's a fully customised system with 4 different colour shades.

HenryP

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you want it to fade then shampoo a few times with a harsh shampoo like Head & Shoulders. It's not great for the hair but will fade the colour a bit. Another thing that will fade the colour is direct/strong sunlight.

Use a leave-in conditioner spray to hold that wet look for longer. I use Aussie. Revlon is another one. Look back through previous posts and you'll find some recommendations.

£800 is ridiculous! I pay £650 for mine (the system + fitting + cut-in) and it's a fully customised system with 4 different colour shades.
Cheers for the advice. If you care to share which salon you use let me know Forgot to say the 800 includes first maintenance regroom but yeah it was a bit steep considering it’s a stock system with enough hair to stuff a mattress

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jojoba is the best choice, as it's the closest to natural sebum produced by the body.

Last edited:

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cheers for the advice. If you care to share which salon you use let me know Forgot to say the 800 includes first maintenance regroom but yeah it was a bit steep considering it’s a stock system with enough hair to stuff a mattress
MG Ford does custom hair systems for £415. Look up MG Ford(Mike Ford) on YouTube he is based in Bristol.
Or HairReplacementStylist, his website. He does online orders with remote cut-ins too.

£800 is a RIP OFF.