Newbie Story ( & Nyc Cut-in Recommendations)

HairJourneyNYC

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

First, just wanted to say thanks for all the great advice I have received from this forum. I have only been lurking for a week but have found everyone (especially Noah & BaldBearded) to be a valuable resource! This is my first post, so I will give you a bit of background.

I have been shaving my head since I was 17 (now 32) as I always knew I was going to be bald. I am very open to my friends and family about my journey into hair systems and to it wasn't big news to them as I am "that person" in that is always experimenting with new styles. That said, I would still like my hair to look "natural." I recently had my first hair system made and cut-in by a company in NYC. The first few days were great, but unfortunately, everything went downhill from there. The information the company/stylist gave me barely scratched the surface, and I made multiple amateur mistakes which I now know could have been avoided. The poly cut-in was butchered and cut differently on each side, which I discovered after the system came up on day 5. Besides now having the impossible task of making the hairline look normal, learning what the hell I'm doing, and trying to feel less self-conscious about the system the hair also looks dry! I have spent a frustrating amount of money fixing the mistakes that I paid a professional to avoid...lesson learned, I will cut my losses (which is way too much!) and come to terms with what's done is done...I'm not giving up though! which brings me to my question...

I ordered a new system from lordhair (first time), and I'm now just looking for a place to cut it in. Does anyone know a stylist or salon in or around Manhattan that can help me start fresh?

JJ18

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bump as I would like to also know about a place to cut in in the NY/NJ areas.

JJ18

My Regimen
Reaction score
Btw, which salon botched the first system? Would be good to know so others can avoid, etc.

HairJourneyNYC

My Regimen
Reaction score
Btw, which salon botched the first system? Would be good to know so others can avoid, etc.
Hi JJ18, The company I initially used is called SlyHair. The guy was really nice so I hate to say anything bad but despite what he said they are clearly new and didn't know what they were doing.

HairJourneyNYC

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bump as I would like to also know about a place to cut in in the NY/NJ areas.
Hey,

Noel was kind enough to PM me two contacts that do cut-ins. I ended up going with Erin who provides a casual experience. She came to my house and I had my hair cut-in within 1.5 hours. She grew up in the NYC drag-ball scene so she knows how to work with wigs etc. I liked that she is "old school" and used a razor to cut the hair. That said, she is definitely for someone who doesn't need to have their hand held (first-time wearer) and knows what they want. I can PM details if you want? I have her mobile number.

The other contact seemed to be more professional as she works out of a salon in Chelsea. Her name is Didi and she owns the company Hairwhisperer. From my understanding, she got her start working in the wig dept for Broadway shows. When I initially reached out to her she had a bit of a wait for appointments and had recently injured herself but she seemed great!

All that said, if you hear of anyone let me know. Also, did you purchase hair already? I recently got a stock unit from LordHair. I am happy with it but the density is a little too thick and I am debating on trying a different company next time around.

JJ18

My Regimen
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the advice and guidance. I’ll PM you in the contact details.