NEWBIE QUESTION ON MINOXIDIL DEPENDENT HAIR

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guyz.. I am starting my minoxidil treatment in a few days, probably with dermaroller. As of now my hair loss is stable for past many months. It is an attempt to grow new hair.

Please advice me, if due to some reason like side effects or the medication no longer working (I develop tolerance), I have to stop the medication. Is it only the new hair grown because of minoxidil which will fall out or even my existing native hair fall out?

Regan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nobody really knows.

Maybe you'll go to roughly where you would have been if you had never used minoxidil, or maybe you'll be below that level, or maybe you'll be above that level.

A common phrase is that "If you stop minoxidil you'll end up where you would have been if you had never used minoxidil." However, as far as I can tell this is just broscience and nobody knows.

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any damage that DHT does will continue until eventually minoxidil won’t be able to keep those hairs alive either.

Using minoxidil without finasteride is just getting some time before eventually minoxidil won’t work as good. But you will have a few very good years though as the hairs on min look very strong and healthy.

I don’t see a point to min without finasteride unless it’s to just have a few good years

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any damage that DHT does will continue until eventually minoxidil won’t be able to keep those hairs alive either.

Using minoxidil without finasteride is just getting some time before eventually minoxidil won’t work as good. But you will have a few very good years though as the hairs on min look very strong and healthy.

I don’t see a point to min without finasteride unless it’s to just have a few good years
Yes, I will be using minoxidil with finasteride only. However, if due to some reason like side effects or the medication no longer working (I develop tolerance), I have to stop the medication. Is it only the new hair grown because of minoxidil which will fall out or even my existing native hair fall out?

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I will be using minoxidil with finasteride only. However, if due to some reason like side effects or the medication no longer working (I develop tolerance), I have to stop the medication. Is it only the new hair grown because of minoxidil which will fall out or even my existing native hair fall out?

Yes only new hair will fall out. finasteride will stop further hairloss

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
all hair will falls out
Here negatives are more than positives then. In few years, all grow tolerance to medication. My hairloss is more or less stable post past few years at around Norwood 3.5

Yes only new hair will fall out. finasteride will stop further hairloss
If this is true, it's worth starting. Because I will reach where I am presently. So, not much to loose.
But let's say tolerance is both to minoxidil and finestride. My hair have got used to both medications.

5minutesbeforemiracle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you stop, you will temporarily go below baseline before going back up to baseline. I saw a graph from a study online which showed this, but that was a while ago and am not looking for it again.