Newbie Looking For Advice To Start On Replacement Systems!

Need4Chng

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am newbie thinking of getting a replacement system. I am based out of Dallas & looking for an advice on steps to go about getting one. I have consulted NuHair Of Texas & they have quoted me a price of $1200 for one piece for getting one & putting it on. Plus they are asking for a recurring 4-6 week visit which will cost additional $80 for every visit. Is it fair price to ask for the process?

Just for reference, I have lost density considerable in the crown area but have pretty nice growth on the back & sides so much so that I have to go for a trim pretty much every 3 weeks or so.

Some of the questions I have are:

A). Is it worth getting it done for the first time from professionals & gradually get into DIY?
B). If I decide to do it on my own from the get go, then:
(i). any recommendations for vendors who supply replacement systems in US?
(ii). how should I order - type, density, other things to consider while ordering?
(iii). Neither me nor my wife knows how to trim hair so the biggest confusion I have is - when the new
system arrives, who do I search for in my area who can trim it for me to my liking & how do I go about
deciding on styling it?
C). If I go with the company for the first few times, what are some of the things that I need to watch out for so I can learn & do it my self?
D). I am thinking of going with glue based systems but do they have any downsides - allergies, skin reactions, etc.?
E). Are tape based systems easier to manage? I am an active sport player so end up running a lot. Are tape based systems stable enough so they don't fall while running?

I would appreciate any guidance here from the experts!

PS: Please pardon my ignorance on this as I said -I am a Novice!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I will preface this by saying I have NOT received my first system yet but went through tons of research to get me to where I am, which is waiting for delivery and first appointment for attachment and cut in. Other folks will undoubtedly chime in.

A). Is it worth getting it done for the first time from professionals & gradually get into DIY?

If you have to ask, then the answer is probably YES. I was going to go DIY, but I am glad I didn't. I emailed many companies before deciding on, OneHead Hair. After emails and an hour-long facetime call, I went to meet with them in Madrid. I met with the co-owner, his partner, and a hair stylist. We spent a couple of hours reviewing the style chosen, and my own hair situation. We decided, the four of us, on density (per zone, there are six hair zones that they use). Color, they matched my own, natural color, and then decided on % of grey for the areas that I am (or would be) greying. Length, base, hair (over a certain length, grey is not available in human hair). Hairline was also, a huge issue; where to start, density, etc.

None of these questions were I able to answer on my own. And, I am getting a style, cut by one of the top stylists in Spain. This is something not possible had I ordered from someone, first time out.

I will be going back when the system is ready, and they will install it, cut it in, teach me how to remove it, clean the base, and re-attach. All without the need to go to a salon. All included in the price.

The question below, all can be answered by a good salon. Be upfront with them. You can say that you want to do as much of this DIY as possible. If they push back, you can always try another salon. Also, they should be talking to you about all of the questions in designing your system.

If I may, there is an excellent website for DIY folks. And the guy, Curtis, who runs it, did exactly what I suggested. Salon route for the first couple of units... DIY for going forward. It's all up to your own level of comfort. If you save money but won't leave the house because you look like crap... it's not worth it.

His youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrRETIRINGEARLY

His Website:
https://www.myhairexperience.com

Good luck,

BB

B). If I decide to do it on my own from the get go, then:
(i). any recommendations for vendors who supply replacement systems in US?
(ii). how should I order - type, density, other things to consider while ordering?
(iii). Neither me nor my wife knows how to trim hair so the biggest confusion I have is - when the new
system arrives, who do I search for in my area who can trim it for me to my liking & how do I go about
deciding on styling it?
C). If I go with the company for the first few times, what are some of the things that I need to watch out for so I can learn & do it my self?
D). I am thinking of going with glue based systems but do they have any downsides - allergies, skin reactions, etc.?
E). Are tape based systems easier to manage? I am an active sport player so end up running a lot. Are tape based systems stable enough so they don't fall while running?

Xyz23

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Curtis(TheThairexperience) is a nice guy and you get a nice insight of a life with a hairsystem( a normal life)

Imma try to answer some questions for you

A) Yes. Especially when its for the first time. Dont even think about doing it on your own. you will cry in the end. Let the professionals show you how to do it so you can do it on your own next time.
C) hard to say. just watch how the professionals fit the system in and try to observe what things are actually really needed. ( not a lot)
d) systems are not based on glue .. When you get your system you can choose between tape or glue. Tapes could be nice during a hot season (summer) but in my opinion glue is better. it gives you a way more natural look and its easy to manage. few people use tapes for the sides (for better hold there) and glue for the front (more natural hairline)
e) Nothing is "easier" or "harder". its always up on the person whos using these kind of products. In the end what really matters is patience and experience. You wont be a pro right after 1 week but while time gets passed you're going to notice that things are becoming easier. And yes.. tapes and glue are stable enough

We are in the year 2018 and in the meanwhile you shouldnt even have thoughts like "could the system fall off?". thats a problem from 5 years ago maybe but not today.

In the end its up to you. hope i could help a bit

flannelw

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm new to this as well and will be ordering my first system this week. After reading a lot of articles and watching YouTube videos (mostly Curtis' oddly enough), I have decided to go the DIY route. The only thing that I have the slightest worry about is the cut in and styling. There are no salons or anyone near me that is willing to do it. One thing that I came upon that might interest you are company's that do remote cut ins and styling. So you send them your piece with pictures of how you want it styled and they send it back to you cut to your specs. I'm planning on doing this, but I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on services like Split Ends in Maine that does this type of thing.

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm new to this as well and will be ordering my first system this week. After reading a lot of articles and watching YouTube videos (mostly Curtis' oddly enough), I have decided to go the DIY route. The only thing that I have the slightest worry about is the cut in and styling. There are no salons or anyone near me that is willing to do it. One thing that I came upon that might interest you are company's that do remote cut ins and styling. So you send them your piece with pictures of how you want it styled and they send it back to you cut to your specs. I'm planning on doing this, but I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on services like Split Ends in Maine that does this type of thing.

You really trust someone to cut the hair on your hair system without blending it into your existing hair? That sounds... really risky. I heard that places offer that service, but is this the time to be frugal?

Xyz23

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's more than risky. First fit in should be done by professionals. Otherwise you gotta learn the hard way

flannelw

My Regimen
Reaction score
You really trust someone to cut the hair on your hair system without blending it into your existing hair? That sounds... really risky. I heard that places offer that service, but is this the time to be frugal?
You and I are on the exact same page. I'm very skeptical of this. My only issue is the nearest person that I have found that is willing to do it and has decent ratings is almost two hours away. What I may do is have then cut the first one in and then I'll send off my "backup" system and see how it turns out.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
You and I are on the exact same page. I'm very skeptical of this. My only issue is the nearest person that I have found that is willing to do it and has decent ratings is almost two hours away. What I may do is have then cut the first one in and then I'll send off my "backup" system and see how it turns out.

What about bringing both pieces with you, cut in the first, remove it, and then cut in the second? I can't imagine that the cost of the unit costs less than the transportation costs to the salon? Remember, you are asking someone to cut your hair... from memory. It just sounds like a really terrible idea

Best of luck!