Newbie Introduction - My personal questions...

cookbookwriter

Reaction score
Good evening. I am new here and quite thrilled to have found this INFORMATIVE discussion group. I have questions that I really wish could be answered but, like many people, I am too embarrassed to bring them up to people in real life. Most of my questions have probably been asked AND answered a dozen times already on this forum, but as you know, it could take me days to read all the valuable info here. So, if anyone feels like replying to my questions, I'd greatly appreciate it!

About me, I am 26, white male. I am vegetarian. I am an aspiring actor in the New York area. In the past year or two I have noticed my hair thinning in the front and in the back. This all seemed to have come about recently and quickly. Gradually I noticed more and more hair in my shower. And a few unscrupulous friends would even comment on my male pattern baldness. Their honesty hurt the most.

Some questions:
1. What should my first step be? I want to nip it in the bud before it gets any worse. I am certainly not wealthy and I don't know what to do AT ALL. Should I just go purchase Rogaine, or try some of those pills. I don't want sexual side-effects. I am only 26, afterall. HELP! This is a major crush to my ego and sometimes I think maybe I screwed over the wrong person in another life...

2. Could the fact that I am vegetarian have ANYTHING to do with my hair thinning and hair loss? Lack of vitamins and minerals maybe? Or am I not getting enough sun?

3. If hair treatment products are so effective, then why are RICH CELEBRITIES still balding? You would think that if ANYONE had the money to pay for the treatment, it would be famous actors. But yet, you still see those once-teen-idols going bald. If I was rich I would just do what Elton John did, and have my hair permanently implanted. And then you have people like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Prince and Michael Jackson who seem to have perfect hair lines. Those guys are starting to get old and you'd think that they'd have SOME kind of receding hairline. What do you think THEY do, if anything...?

I have about a million other questions that I suppose will come to me over time. I appreciate ANY help in these areas, and will try to reciprocate and offer any advice I may be able to give to someone in need... THANK YOU.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
1. Finasteride is the single most effective means of fighting hairloss (except for Dutasteride). Sexual side effects are generally negligible. Get on the 'big 3',. finasteride/Min/nizoral. This will cost you next to nothing.

2. Probably not

3. No matter how much money you have, treatments do not work for everyone. Maybe many do not want to risk sexual side effects (even tho the risk is small). And plenty, no doubt, already lost their hair before these treatments were available. But really, have you noticed how many older male celebrities have full heads of hair?! Its far above the average.

Reaction score
1) It doesn't pay to hop in haphazardly, so your first step should be to see a dermatologist to determine the cause of your hairloss and to determine what course of action to take next. Sexual side effects for Propecia are rare and usually go away after short period of time or after discontinuation of the medication if they do occur.

2) Being a vegetarian shouldn't be a disadvantage, as long as you plan your meals carefully to get all 8 essential amino acids (i.e. protein)

DontWannaBeLikeMike

Established Member
Reaction score
I 've learned a lot from these guys here too. You say money is somewhat of a problem...so i would get Rogaine(the walmart brand, much cheaper), Nizoral Shampoo(the walgreens brand, much cheaper). Try those out. If that don't work you could add Propecia/Proscar. That's a pretty cheap regimen that has a good chance of helping. Goodluck

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lactose, while I agree that seeing a dermatologist is generally a good idea, most of them dont know as much about male pattern baldness as the collective knowledge here. Clearly this guy has male pattern baldness. As long as hes not alergic to any of the medications (and discontinues if he noticies bad side effects/irritation), there is no great need to see one. A dermatologist would just look at his scalp and write him up a script to Propecia.

Axon

Reaction score
1. First step - get Finasteride, Minoxidil, Nizoral and T-Gel or T-Sal shampoo. As for sexual side effects, I've yet to experience any from Finasteride. Personally, I think a lot of the side effects reported here are exaggerated upon or are purely psychosematic. But I don't preach personal results as dogma.

Call me crazy, but I tend to see a certain trend of complaining posters who come on saying how they went from a perfect, flawless hairline and 3 % body fat with unbelievably ripped abs to a norwood 6 and 30% body fat in two weeks of finasteride use.

People have unrealistic expectations and they want their regrowth yesterday. Hairloss and recovering from it is a game of inches and patience; if you don't have the mental strength, you might as well take a Bic to it.

2. If anything, being a vegeterian would help you, not hurt you. There are some theories that the "western" diet contributes to hairloss.

3. Treatment isn't that expensive. I pay 300 a year for my entire regimen. As for celebrities, who knows. Not everyone loses their hair, it's just that simple. Yeah, it sucks and we want those lucky bastards to die, but not everyone with a perfect hairline has had a transplant.

There is no big secret, no big conspiracy, and for every Tom Cruise there's a Nicholas Cage.

drinkrum

Reaction score
You might want to take whey protein supplements since you are a vegetarian. You can mix up the whey powder with milk to create a tasty shake. I recommend the Optimum brand and you can get the stuff for cheap at http://www.bodybuilding.com.

By the way, there's gossip circulating that Ben Affleck wears a toupee. :moon: I don't think it's that far-fetched.

D.

Reaction score
Flux, I couldn't agree with you more. However, to get that prescription for finasteride, he will need to see a doctor. Unless, of course, he decides to try an overseas distributor (something I and many others are reluctant to do).