Newbie here with receding hairline -- Help recommend me treatment

Receding

Reaction score
I have read through the forums for only a day or so but have learned about the big 3 treatments, without being sure which treatment is typically recommended for someone with my condition. I'm 29 years old and first began noticing the receding hairline in the past 2 years or so. Here are some pictures to show it's progression:

2011-6-22.JPG20140914_033739.jpg20150208_173612.jpg

Was just wondering how aggressive this would be considered and what the best treatment would be for some regrowth for the hairline? Should I jump right into finasteride or is it usually recommended to start with rogaine?

Reaction score
You really have a perfect angled hairline just from the way your barber cuts it? try nizoral, finasteride, and minoxidil

shookwun

Reaction score
get right on finasteride, don't fool around. Rogaine wont inhibit DHT which is the culprit behind loosing hair. TOGETHER, along with nizoral if a very synergistic combo, should maintain, even thicken existing hair.

Yoshi3Mario

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you wouldn't be fine with just shaving your head? I think it would look good on you.

DFWdesperado

My Regimen
Reaction score
Rogaine can help help fill out the thin spots around your hairline, but wont stop further recession..only finasteride or dutasteride can stop it.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
With your hair loss being fairly recent you might see a pretty good recovery with treatments.

Cincinnati Kid

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry it had to happen to you too, pal. Like these other guys said, there isn't much in terms of quick or permanently effective treatment out there, but you can try the big 3. That being said, typically men with darker skin tones can pull off the bald look FAR FAR better than a pasty white guy like myself, so if you choose not to seek out treatment you can at least look at that as a silver lining in all of this. If you do choose the treatment route, keep your hair really closely cropped. You don't wanna look ridiculous like LeBron by letting your hair grow long while pretending you're not really receding, and covering it with a giant headband lol. Best of luck.

Receding

Reaction score
Are you sure you wouldn't be fine with just shaving your head? I think it would look good on you.
I usually have kept my hair pretty much shaven my entire life anyway when getting my hair cut, so I guess it's not as bad as it could be, but when I don't have time to get my hair cut it starts to get very noticeable like in the 2nd picture. Having to keep my hair shaved on a weekly basis isn't something I'd like to do but I understand it could be worse.

Rogaine can help help fill out the thin spots around your hairline, but wont stop further recession..only finasteride or dutasteride can stop it.
Ok, then I guess I'll try the big 3 out.

With your hair loss being fairly recent you might see a pretty good recovery with treatments.
I'd say it started becoming noticeable in the past year or so but even in the 2011 photo you can see it a bit. Is that still considered early? I know my father has a badly receded hairline.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, since I still have some thin hair on the part that's receding, it looks closer to OK when all the rest of my hair is also low to match it, but once the rest have grown out it gets like the second picture. Should I be concerned about major side effects from the big 3? The side effects forum is a bit scary to browse through tbh.

Reaction score
Just rock the kevin gates man no one cares about it and I personally think it would look much better

Receding

Reaction score
Hey guys I wanted to update and get some feedback on my situation. Since the time of posting the OP I still haven't gotten on nizoral, finasteride, or minoxidil just yet, although I did purchase it. My cousin who had a similar issue as mine said that he simply started oiling/gelling his hair and brushing it on a regular basis and it helped to restore his hairline and regrow. I started also brushing my hair on a regular basis and started applying this gel called T444Z food hair (http://www.t444zhairfood.com/) which I assumed at the time was nothing more than a random cookie cutter treatment but from the time of using it and brushing my hair on a regular basis I've noticed a big improvement in just about 1 month or so. Two pictures here:

IMG_7028.jpg 20151002_180742.jpg

One with short hair where it looks like everything is completely normal and then one with longer hair which exposes the hairloss still but it's a big improvement from the picture in the OP.

I'm just wondering though if I should still be taking finasteride or if it's actually indeed possible that this is a lasting solution? I hadn't ever heard of hair starting to recede just due to not brushing so now I'm unsure if I actually have male pattern baldness or just hair that was dying off due to never treating it. I never used to brush or gel my hair at all for years. But I'm concerned that if I don't start taking finasteride then the treatment I'm currently doing is just setting me back further and wasting time.

Cincinnati Kid

Established Member
Reaction score
If there was something other than the big 3 that has had a lot of success, we'd all know about it. Whatever you've been using may seem like it's been helping, but I can assure you it hasn't done much of anything. Whatever it is that you've been using probably caused something of a placebo effect in your mind where you think because you're using some kind of "treatment" that your hair is improving. If you want to keep the hair you have, and possibly thicken it up some, you need to be on the big 3. In the meantime, continue trimming your hair often because at a very short length, you can't really even tell there's thinning. Best of luck.