newbie from USA wanting some input on my first experience with a $1500 piece

Harry2020

My Regimen
Reaction score
I live 2 hours from NYC and I wanted get some input on my first experience. I've been reading a bunch of these threads and am so thankful I came across you guys. I paid $1500 for a non custom piece. I have a wide head which increased the price. After reading on here it appears that I can be saving a great deal of money even if there is trial and error. My main question is did I get robbed? I was basically told that I needed 3-4 pieces and that customs ones started at 1700for one and went to aprox 1200 if I purchased 4. I was extremely happy with the results and I was in the process of goin with it and getting four. I am a stage 6 at best on the norwood scale pictured. I am really appreciative of any input and planning reading much more. thanks

the second picture are my aprox measurements of 10 x 10 inches and pricing per unit as I mentioned

Attachments

• norwood_scale.gif
    norwood_scale.gif
    30.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_E7102.JPG
    IMG_E7102.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 110

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m going to copy and paste a post I made not too long ago.

Let me tell you my experience since I recently got into this world.

I did not do a whole lot of research which is so unlike me. Honestly, I saw these TikTok videos (yes I’m 35 years old and I watch TikTok!) of men getting hairpieces and it looked so uhhh what’s the word... modern? It did not look like what I think of when I envision a toupee, wig, hairpiece.

I immediately called the company that this certain guy was promoting to find someone local who supplied that brand and found one an hour away. I spent right at $1000 for everything which I will tell you right now is very high, butttttt honestly I don’t regret it because it got me into seeing the behind the scenes of what I was trying to learn to do myself. I honestly think it was worth it at first just to see it in real action. I have had my unit 2 months and although it did not start out smooth at all (bad first unit), I have learned so much from the members here (huge shout out to Noah) which has given me the confidence to do all the maintenance myself for the last month. I don’t know even with Noah and the forums help if I would have felt as confident if I had not seen my salon do it a few times first.

I can tell you now after only 2 months I am going to order my own unit next and have a remote cut in and save myself about $700 for literally the same thing I get locally.

I hope this somewhat helps. I just wanted to give you my perspective since I was in the exact same boat you are in now.

It was so overwhelming to me at first trying to learn everything and I still learn everyday something new.

Good luck with it all. It really is not as daunting as it may seem right now.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the post/story, as it's a very interesting one.

I can't decidedly say if you were robbed or not - as you may have gone down the DIY avenue, fucked up & been disuaded.

I hadn't been on this forum before getting my first piece, but I knew going in - because my brother wears - that these pieces are merely little wigs you stick on your head w/ an adhesive.

Nevertheless, I didn't want to do any of it myself. I went to a salon & paid 700$ for a stock system & cut-in. The French-Lace piece was exactly the same as the most inexpensive pieces I get online, but the way it was attached & cut in was amazing & I really loved my new aesthetic.

After that, I got on this forum & started reading online & decided to go the DIY route.

Still, that woman did the best job I've ever had - but only by a margin.

I paid 700 in a rinky dink town, which translates to what you're paying I'd assume.

So, based on my experience, I think you're all set - but it's so subjective.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score

I did not do a whole lot of research which is so unlike me. Honestly, I saw these TikTok videos (yes I’m 35 years old and I watch TikTok!) of men getting hairpieces and it looked so uhhh what’s the word... modern? It did not look like what I think of when I envision a toupee, wig, hairpiece.

I immediately called the company that this certain guy was promoting to find someone local who supplied that brand and found one an hour away. I spent right at $1000 for everything which I will tell you right now is very high, butttttt honestly I don’t regret it because it got me into seeing the behind the scenes of what I was trying to learn to do myself. I honestly think it was worth it at first just to see it in real action. I have had my unit 2 months and although it did not start out smooth at all (bad first unit), I have learned so much from the members here (huge shout out to Noah) which has given me the confidence to do all the maintenance myself for the last month. I don’t know even with Noah and the forums help if I would have felt as confident if I had not seen my salon do it a few times first.

I can tell you now after only 2 months I am going to order my own unit next and have a remote cut in and save myself about $700 for literally the same thing I get locally.

I hope this somewhat helps. I just wanted to give you my perspective since I was in the exact same boat you are in now.

It was so overwhelming to me at first trying to learn everything and I still learn everyday something new.

Wow, I just read this - I feel the same way. It's pretty important to see "how it's done" then emulate it.

Given how many shitty installs I've done myself, I highly doubt I would have been sold on hairpieces if I hadn't had that first positive experience

Harry2020

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you I really appreciate it and I feel like I've saved thousands. I just read this thread and learned so much in just a few hours. I'd buy everyone a beer if I could. thanks

No, There Is No "service Light" On Your Hair System...​

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Highly recommend watching black women on YouTube deal w their front lace wigs for advanced tips & tricks

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
All these pieces come from the same region of the world.
I have been wearing a decade and my feeling is you can get better value.
It seems like you paid a lot.

I DIY and pay $390 a piece even after the Chinese price rises. My cut in is about $90.

I get 8-12 months wear per piece. I was paying $295 before Covid.

Little shedding and very good hair quality.

Shop around. There are a few decent suppliers out there a lot less.

Harry2020

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the post/story, as it's a very interesting one.

I can't decidedly say if you were robbed or not - as you may have gone down the DIY avenue, fucked up & been disuaded.

I hadn't been on this forum before getting my first piece, but I knew going in - because my brother wears - that these pieces are merely little wigs you stick on your head w/ an adhesive.

Nevertheless, I didn't want to do any of it myself. I went to a salon & paid 700$ for a stock system & cut-in. The French-Lace piece was exactly the same as the most inexpensive pieces I get online, but the way it was attached & cut in was amazing & I really loved my new aesthetic.

After that, I got on this forum & started reading online & decided to go the DIY route.

Still, that woman did the best job I've ever had - but only by a margin.

I paid 700 in a rinky dink town, which translates to what you're paying I'd assume.

So, based on my experience, I think you're all set - but it's so subjective.
Yeah it sounds like even if I overpaid I was at least sold on how natural these can look. There was a problem I had that spending so much $ on bettering my appearance was just way to vain and I feel great that I no longer have to carry that view.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve never felt vain about making myself more confident. Granted, my entire life I’ve been into my looks but I don’t see an issue with that.

Little backstory on me when I was about 26 or 27 I flew to Turkey to have hair transplants done. Took about a year to see results but I still didn’t feel like it was enough. I went back almost exactly a year later to the same Doctor and had them done again. My hair looked much better, but I feel like because I had done it so early in life that my hair was still not done falling out.

I then looked into scalp micropigmentation and have SEVERAL sessions of it. As soon as it was done I was amazed however it was short lived, my head kept pushing all the ink out without about a week.

Now I am where I am. It was on a whim after seeing how real these things looked and how people my age (35) were doing this and I said screw it I am doing it!

Truthfully I hate having to redo something every week or so but it’s the price I must pay if I want to feel good about myself. It’s not rocket science as Noah once said to me. At the time I felt like it was because I didn’t even know the difference between lace and poly base. Over the last few months I have learned so much. It’s actually pretty easy stuff to understand and get.

My girlfriend was so apprehensive about it at first and I had her go with me to the fit in and when it was done she was blown away. She had images of what toupees generall have looked like in the past. Now she does all my maintenance except for the removing of the unit and residue from my head. She tapes up all my units and puts them on my head.

Do what makes you happy and brings confidence. When you look better you feel better.

Harry2020

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve never felt vain about making myself more confident. Granted, my entire life I’ve been into my looks but I don’t see an issue with that.

Little backstory on me when I was about 26 or 27 I flew to Turkey to have hair transplants done. Took about a year to see results but I still didn’t feel like it was enough. I went back almost exactly a year later to the same Doctor and had them done again. My hair looked much better, but I feel like because I had done it so early in life that my hair was still not done falling out.

I then looked into scalp micropigmentation and have SEVERAL sessions of it. As soon as it was done I was amazed however it was short lived, my head kept pushing all the ink out without about a week.

Now I am where I am. It was on a whim after seeing how real these things looked and how people my age (35) were doing this and I said screw it I am doing it!

Truthfully I hate having to redo something every week or so but it’s the price I must pay if I want to feel good about myself. It’s not rocket science as Noah once said to me. At the time I felt like it was because I didn’t even know the difference between lace and poly base. Over the last few months I have learned so much. It’s actually pretty easy stuff to understand and get.

My girlfriend was so apprehensive about it at first and I had her go with me to the fit in and when it was done she was blown away. She had images of what toupees generall have looked like in the past. Now she does all my maintenance except for the removing of the unit and residue from my head. She tapes up all my units and puts them on my head.

Do what makes you happy and brings confidence. When you look better you feel better.
very true and I do agree but everything is relative and to me spending $5000 minimum every year was messing with my head. I was told that they last 3 months and than I assumed they were trash after that. I was not accurately informed and now it's a mute point. I dont care about the learning curve or if it never ever looks as good as the first time. Ikept that one on for a month and I was under the belief that that was how it works universally. appreciate that

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's robbery. I've spend at max $300 for a stock unit plus supplies. I do everything myself though, having a local barber cut my hair for an extra 30$ (Including a $10 tip).

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
very true and I do agree but everything is relative and to me spending $5000 minimum every year was messing with my head. I was told that they last 3 months and than I assumed they were trash after that. I was not accurately informed and now it's a mute point. I dont care about the learning curve or if it never ever looks as good as the first time. Ikept that one on for a month and I was under the belief that that was how it works universally. appreciate that
I was basically told the same thing you were. Every 3-4 months I’d spend $1000 plus every 2-3 weeks around $100 for maintenance. Although I loved it I couldn’t see myself spending 6k a year. That’s a lot of money!

Congrats on taking the plunge. Read up on this site and watch YouTube and in a few months you will be a pro :)

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I understand timescale for custom vary from 8-weeks to 4 months and many no order being taken.
Stock pieces are more easily available, but do sell out from my enquiries.