Newbie ... But Not To Hair Loss ... Looking For Advise

mactube

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I just found this forum and registered immediately. I'm looking for some good advice so I don't waist my time and money on products and solutions which don't work.

My hair has been falling out for a couple of years now and I'm glad I was able to keep them so long, but now that I'm approaching 40, my comb-over just doesn't look that good anymore ;-( and I would like to try some products before I eventually will have to get a hair restoration.

Since I never really did to much research, the only solutions to my problem that I know would be
what I see at Target and on TV ( Rogain and Bossley ) .

I'm sure people here on this forum have much more inside and experience.

Can somebody give me a good advice on how I should start? I'm grateful to any helpful suggestion!

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello. Welcome to the forum :)

''The Big Three'', which is short for Minoxidil, Finasteride & Nizoral would be your best go to treatment. Although, I personally believe that you should opt for finasteride by itself for 6-12 months, and then go for minoxidil if you aren't happy with your hair/haven't gotten any regrowth.
Minoxidil might be a pain though, since you have to apply it regularly.

I'd recommend for you to post pictures, since it gives user's an incentive :D. It also makes it easier for us to give suggestions on the best way possible for you to treat your hair loss. You can read more thoroughly about treatments here: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-treatments/

Finasteride requires a prescription, but there's the possibility of ordering it online without any hassle. Minoxidil (also known as Rogain) is prescription-free, and Nizoral is mostly to cleanse and heal your scalp if you happen to suffer from itch and whatnot.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
TLDR (from the link I posted above):

'' Effective Hair Loss Treatments

The hormone sensitivity that is “turned on” by a genetic predisposition results in hair miniaturization, and inflammation. Therefore, effective hair loss treatments focus on:

• Limiting the hormonal influence.
  • Stimulating hair growth despite it.
  • Treating the inflammation.
As a result, the three major types of hair loss treatments are:

1. Anti-androgens
  2. Growth Stimulants
  3. Anti-inflammatories
If a treatment does not have ingredients which address one of these three major elements, then it is not an effective hair loss treatment. Period. ''

mactube

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you @Alphalete very much for the detailed information and help. So I guess I will start with Finasteride then. I'm a little skeptical with buying drugs online so I guess I will have to see a dermatologist for the prescription !? .. or have you found a good product online that works?
I have tried Rogaine before if thats the main brand that offers Minoxidil ( I remember Target hat the generic Target brand for half the price , Not sure how important the brand is for the effectiveness ) And yes its def. a pain I guess thats why I stopped and of cause since reading your link I was expecting results in a to short of a time period and should still be use it..
So Finasteride is a pill .. to ingest !? Have you heard about any side effects ? As far as the discussion about Hair restoration .. I guess I will postpone that for a while..
I will try to upload some pictures soon. Thanks

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you @Alphalete very much for the detailed information and help. So I guess I will start with Finasteride then. I'm a little skeptical with buying drugs online so I guess I will have to see a dermatologist for the prescription !? .. or have you found a good product online that works?
I have tried Rogaine before if thats the main brand that offers Minoxidil ( I remember Target hat the generic Target brand for half the price , Not sure how important the brand is for the effectiveness ) And yes its def. a pain I guess thats why I stopped and of cause since reading your link I was expecting results in a to short of a time period and should still be use it..
So Finasteride is a pill .. to ingest !? Have you heard about any side effects ? As far as the discussion about Hair restoration .. I guess I will postpone that for a while..
I will try to upload some pictures soon. Thanks

Hi

I'd start with finasteride, yes. I'd recommend for you to visit a dermatologist. There are meds online that work, but I think it's safer to atleast get someone medically knowledgable to help you in real life. Purchase online could be made if the prices in your country are too steep. Where are you from by the way?

These are the side effects that can occur from finasteride: https://www.drugs.com/sfx/finasteride-side-effects.html
The choice wether you want to take the drug is ultimately your own; from what I know/have read; if you experience any side effects they should stop after discontinuing the medication. Although if you are depressed, suicidal or anything to that degree I wouldn't hop on finasteride. I'd rather search for help.

I assume you mean a Hair Transplant when you speak of a ''hair restoration''. If so, medication before & after is mandatory for optimal results. By having a hair transplant, you don't necessarily stop balding forever. The follicules which haven't been transplanted onto will keep receding/thinning.

If you feel like you don't want to go the medical route, a hair system might suit you better. Most look very good & realistic.

mactube

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks again for your help @Alphalete ! I will start with Finastride and I found Nizoral ( Shampoo ) very inexpensive in the Walmart online store, which I will start using, because my Skalp is defiantly itchy from time to time and from what I read here , inflammatory reactions are a big factor .. since I will need a good shampoo anyway.

I'm originally from Germany ( I guess you spotted that by my way of writing and sorry I should prove read my posts to check on typos ) But I live in California. I appreciate the advice to see a dermatologist , because I'm very skeptical when it comes to online meds / supplements or
similar. As you can imagine a visit to see a doctor is kind of like very embarrassing , uncomfortable or what ever you what to describe the feeling and issues that come with an appointment , paperwork , insurance etc... etc.. I found a link here of ' hims ' which I keep seeing more and more ( even in our local gym with marketing stuff). Apparently they offer a very inexpensive way for prescription , If its just a prescription, I guess there are no differences in quality, but then again, I don't know if the prescription only good for their products.
Anyway when I went on the website, I saw they offer exactly those products / active substances that you mentioned in your first post :
1. Finasteride. 30 x 1 mg pills

2. The Shampoo. DHT 8 oz bottle

3. Minoxidil. 2 oz bottle

As far as online shopping, I would rather buy from a company / brand that has a reputation to loose like Walmarkt or one that is trying to build a reputation like hims ( as far as the quality ) if the products work for me, I will have to find out.

Don't get me wrong I don't want to cut corners , be ignorant or impatient, because I know this will not work for treating these kinds of problems, but I do want to start asap..

Have you , or are you using Finastride yourself @Alphalete ?

abcdefg

Reaction score
Realistically we could shut down every forum, and just stick propecia in its own thread. Its the big 1 - propecia and little 2 - minoxidil/nizoral. I mean this forum is basically guessing at mens hair loss and telling them over and over use propecia. Its the only thing we have really.
My advice is be sure its male pattern baldness. Once your sure try propecia. if it works take pictures once a year and make a photo album with same lighting and maybe after a hair cut so its the same. Then never come back on these forums dont obsess over, and dont think about it anymore. Maybe come back in 5 years if something new came out. Other then that whether it works or not there isnt anything else to do.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you post pictures of your hair? Have you read through the possible side effects that can occur from finasteride?

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Alphalete yes, and I will take pic also.
@kj6723 why ? Have you used it ?

They are known for specializing in quantity over quality....let's just say they likely pour way more money into marketing than they do actual patient care. I have never used them but they do not have a good reputation around here

mactube

My Regimen
Reaction score
@kj6723 that makes alot of sense to me! Do you have an internal link to a discussion where you read this. I wanted to post a question about the opinions of those companies with TV commercials or in general good recommendations for implants but I'm sure there are plenty good discussions on here already.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
@kj6723 that makes alot of sense to me! Do you have an internal link to a discussion where you read this. I wanted to post a question about the opinions of those companies with TV commercials or in general good recommendations for implants but I'm sure there are plenty good discussions on here already.

Go to the transplant section of the forum and you'll find info about the best surgeons