New Ultra Thin Skin System Rustling Sound

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just got my first system installed 5 days ago and so far it’s going pretty well. Ultra thin skin, custom curl and color match. Will probably make a post with pics whenever I get a chance to blur my face etc

The biggest problems I’ve experienced so far is with the attachment. Firstly, the crown itching has been unbearable at some points, although it’s limited to that area. I was scratching it a good amount and I think it may have caused some shift/lifting in the back. Is that possible?

Now I am finding that whenever I pat my head the system makes a rustling noise. I don’t remember this happening the first few days it was attached. I asked my mom to give it a shot too and she can also hear the rustling. Is this normal with an ultra thin skin system? How can I fix this?

I was planning on going back to the salon for the de/reattachment in another week and a half or so, as I don’t feel confident that I can properly do it on my own yet. Looking for any advice or opinions until I can get back in there.

Thanks everyone. This forum has been great from a lurkers perspective but I’m finally in the mix. Hopefully this can help someone else too!

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just got my first system installed 5 days ago and so far it’s going pretty well. Ultra thin skin, custom curl and color match. Will probably make a post with pics whenever I get a chance to blur my face etc

The biggest problems I’ve experienced so far is with the attachment. Firstly, the crown itching has been unbearable at some points, although it’s limited to that area. I was scratching it a good amount and I think it may have caused some shift/lifting in the back. Is that possible?

Now I am finding that whenever I pat my head the system makes a rustling noise. I don’t remember this happening the first few days it was attached. I asked my mom to give it a shot too and she can also hear the rustling. Is this normal with an ultra thin skin system? How can I fix this?

I was planning on going back to the salon for the de/reattachment in another week and a half or so, as I don’t feel confident that I can properly do it on my own yet. Looking for any advice or opinions until I can get back in there.

Thanks everyone. This forum has been great from a lurkers perspective but I’m finally in the mix. Hopefully this can help someone else too!
Unfortunately it's the nature of the Beast with that UTS. It does not occur when you do a full Bond/ liquid adhesive on entire scalp. You will hear it in any areas that are not a fixed to your head, such as when tape is used.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minor issue, just means that it isn't bonded properly on that part of your head. It won't come off, so don't worry about that :)

Itching is unusual though, with UTS. I know lace can itch because usually people don't fully bond it and so the lace rubs against the skin and causes itching. Fully bonded UTS won't normally itch but I recall once when I got back from a hot holiday it was itching like crazy.... so I had a warm shower and washed the hair, after which I did the 'towel thing' to make sure the hair stuck down well. Then the itching was gone.

UTS is very easy to maintain at home. I started doing it after my 2nd visit to the salon (i.e. the first de/re). Once you get comfortable you will just pull up the hair off the scalp and clean/refit it within an hour. I always do half/half... i.e. lift/clean/re-bond the back, and then do the front. That way I never lose positioning of the piece on my head.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I had the same issue in the beginning with UTS because I was being too gentle doing the attachment. In order to correct the rustling noise or wrinkles in the skin base, l stretch the system a little bit and roll down from the front to back than press down hard from the top to the edge to make sure no crease. The wrinkles and rustling noise will disappear.

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minor issue, just means that it isn't bonded properly on that part of your head. It won't come off, so don't worry about that :)

Itching is unusual though, with UTS. I know lace can itch because usually people don't fully bond it and so the lace rubs against the skin and causes itching. Fully bonded UTS won't normally itch but I recall once when I got back from a hot holiday it was itching like crazy.... so I had a warm shower and washed the hair, after which I did the 'towel thing' to make sure the hair stuck down well. Then the itching was gone.

UTS is very easy to maintain at home. I started doing it after my 2nd visit to the salon (i.e. the first de/re). Once you get comfortable you will just pull up the hair off the scalp and clean/refit it within an hour. I always do half/half... i.e. lift/clean/re-bond the back, and then do the front. That way I never lose positioning of the piece on my head.

How do you clean the back of it without taking it off fully? How can you see it well enough?

I would like to relieve some of these issues (the itching is still very bad, whenever i touch that area it starts up again) but I don't want to risk damaging or misaligning the system. I have a salon appointment booked next Friday, but it's only been 6 days and I've had to redo my hairline a few times already. Not sure if I can make it 8 more without further issues....

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had the same issue in the beginning with UTS because I was being too gentle doing the attachment. In order to correct the rustling noise or wrinkles in the skin base, l stretch the system a little bit and roll down from the front to back than press down hard from the top to the edge to make sure no crease. The wrinkles and rustling noise will disappear.

I think that may have been my problem too, although the salon did the first install. I also think the constant scratching shifted it as well and now its not sitting snug on my head. Next time i do the reattach im gonna make sure its sitting firmly

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that may have been my problem too, although the salon did the first install. I also think the constant scratching shifted it as well and now its not sitting snug on my head. Next time i do the reattach im gonna make sure its sitting firmly

Are you wearing a stock or custom piece? If you are wearing a stock piece, maybe the stock piece doesn't fit your head shape perfectly? I'd recommend ordering a custom piece if the issue persists.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you wearing a stock or custom piece? If you are wearing a stock piece, maybe the stock piece doesn't fit your head shape perfectly? I'd recommend ordering a custom piece if the issue persists.
It shouldn't matter, custom or stock. Both lace and Poly conform to your head.