New to the forums

Cincinnati Kid

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I'm obviously new to the forums. I'm 25, I was born in Cincy, moved to Jersey when I was 8, and now I go to grad school at Rutgers in NJ. Basically, I was laying on my mom's couch the other day when my Mom was on the phone in the chair next to me and said jokingly, "My son is losing his hair." My first thought was "Surely, she's talking about Matt (my older brother, 27)." Then it occurred to me that he has very thick straight hair, and I had just seen him a day earlier. When she ended the conversation I asked her if she was talking about me, and it turns out she was. She said she could see my scalp. Then, she jumped into mom mode and said she was kidding, and I shouldn't worry. Cue my obsessive behavior. I obsessed about it for days on end, I went in denial mode, I blamed it on the fine, curly hair that I've always had. Everyday, I checked my hairline as well. I've always had a higher, M-shaped hairline since I was a teen, but I never feared my scalp hair was in danger. My dad had all of his hair into his 40s, and my older brother is still in great shape, how could I be losing my hair?
I went to the closest Bosley office to have my great fear be confirmed by a professional. Given my poor family history w/ male pattern baldness on my mom's side and my dad's brother's struggle with it, I needed peace of mind, whether it was positive or negative. Sure enough, the Bosley consultant measured my hair and said simply, "you still have a lot of hair (which is true) but the hair on top is thinning slightly in a 5a pattern." He told me to seek out propecia and if I wanted to in the future I could do a hair transplant to lower my hairline, it was a possibility. My hairline isn't bad right now, not even noticeable if I comb my hair forward. My question is I would like to know what everyone thought about me potentially using propecia or proscar? I have read the side effects, and they scare the **** out me. The shedding isn't too worrisome, I could rock a crew cut for a few months if necessary. However, the libido/potentially impotency/man junk problems in general frighten me A LOT. I run hot, as does my lady. We have at least 1-2 rolls in the hay every day. I can't imagine not being able to do that for a while, let alone potentially permanent damage even after ceasing to use it. I know it only affects like 4% of men, but those odds still scare me. Any anecdotal stories you all could give me about propecia/proscar use would make me incredibly grateful. Also, how about minoxidil use? Should I wait to use that until after I see if finasteride alone is sufficient? Thanks for any help guys!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 115
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 111