New to the forum, my story and some advice please!

NickUK01

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Been reading the forums for a while now and finally decided to sign up and start posting etc.

I am 31, and I would say I have had a slow receding hair line for a good few years now (now a NW2 I would say), for one reason or another this has never eally bothered me, I guess partly because it has been a slow process and I haven't really paid attention to it. Over the last 2 or 3 months however I have been made aware of my thinning crown/vertex. An ex mentioned it when I was talking about it a couple of months ago, at the time shrugged it off and carried on as normal. Fast forward to last month and I saw some photos of my hair when I was covered in sweat (do martial arts and photos were taking at the time) and I could clearly see loss at the crown area. I do however still have thick hair and very good coverage on the best of my head aside from the crown/vertex right now.

Since I noticed it and began looking at it it has unfortunately consumed me. I have for many years suffered from OCD as well as anxiety and depression, and this has sent me into these hard. I have bought Regaine (UK here) but have yet to use it due to fear of the dreaded shed and also being away next month or unable to take the foam as a carry on. I have been using Apecin C1 shampoo and using Nizoral shampoo a few times a week as of a couple of weeks ago. I recently picked up Regenepure DR shampoo and condioner to try as something kinder over Nizoral.

So more than anything I am looking for some advise/thoughts on my situation. I am aware I need to start using at least one of the big two (both ideally). My hair is about 2 inches in length so am pretty nervous as to how it will end up looking depending on how it reacts to the minoxidil. As far as Propcia goes, I have thought about getting a prescription for a few weeks now, but the idea of the sides still worries me (bearing in mind my OCD etc), I am concerned that if I go on it and experience some of them it will hit me even harder mentally and take away what confidence I have left. My main concern is sexual side effects (like everyone), I am single and dating so the idea of not being able to "perform" or have difficually would not only be embarrassing but also leave me in the situation of weather to stay on them or come off and hope sides go. The stress alone of the situation for me as already had an impact on my sex life and libido so who knows how it could do (weather it is in my head or actual sides).

Just wanted to give you a bit of background and see what some of you guys think. Thanks a lot for reading this essay, I shall be using this place as a regular now.

Nick

shookwun

Reaction score
Would u rather experience the side effects of being bald or experiment wit a drug that is reversible and will most likely yeild zero side effects

Pretty sure the side effects of balding out weigh trying finasteride.

Remember being bald is like being a ghost, you're invisible to most women but still feel pain :wave:

dotjm

Reaction score
Off with it

Ide say just get rid of it buddy, nothing worse that checking it everyday and its a weight off your chest..

NickUK01

Reaction score
Yeah, I have been thinking about buzzing my hair (maybe no. 1 on the sides, 2.5-5 grade on top) to see how it looks on me, then start on minoxidil foam x2 daily and use keteconazole (well, Regeneopure DR) every other day and Alpecin caffine shampoo on the others. I will get a script for propecia and see how it goes for 3-6 months without it, if it doesn't improve or slow down, I will begin added .5 daily. Now it just comes down to if I have the balls to go and get that buzz cut first, or try it with my hair as it is length wise for the moment.

youngguyhairloss

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just use finasteride man I was so worried about sides but my mentally was if I didn't get on it I would lose my hair and I've been on it for a month and a half with no sides in fact my sexual desire has increase .. My girlfriend and I have sex everytime we see each other literally

NickUK01

Reaction score
So tonight while at training (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) some photos were taken, obviously that means my hair was covered in sweat (always been a big sweater) and one of the photos showed the top of my head, not fun to look at. You can see diffuse thinning clearly at the back and creeping forward. I think this weekend I am going to bite the bullet and get my hair buzzed, I will then get a Propcia script and start on the Regaine as well as using Regenepure DR every other day. It will also stop be worrying about how much hair I see how my hairs when I run them through it at training/shampoo afterwards. I am hoping that once I get used to the change in image I can have more of an out of sight out of mind attitude and also know I am taking measures to help slow/stop the balding without obsessive checking worrying if the thinning areas have gotten worse or stressing about a shed. Then see how things are going after 6 months of a solid regimen and assess from there.

On the plus side I grow a solid beard (probably about 4 inches long at the moment) so will not have to worry about being bare faced, although I may need to trim it down depending on how it looks with very short hair on top!

NickUK01

Reaction score
So here are a couple of pics taken tonight, one is with soaking wet hair and the other with 80% dry. I am hoping to get a Propecia prescription sorted this weekend, and start on Regaine towards the end of next month after holiday stuff etc. Still very much considering buzzing my hair this weekend. What do you guys think?

20150926_012807.jpg20150926_003710.jpg

I have had my Propecia script issued so I should be able to pick it up this weekend, I am thinking maybe start with 1mg every other day or 0.5 daily for a month and see how my body reacts to it? Hoping it won't cause a big shed (one of the reasons the buzz cut is an option).

NickUK01

Reaction score
I got a long buzz cut, and I'm glad I did (I'm a Norwood 3). I might even go shorter next tiem. Just try a long buzz cut and see if you like it. If not, just grow it back.

Thanks for the advice:), I think that is a good option, go with a slightly longer buzz and see how I feel about it. I guess the biggest bit is taking a leap into the "unknown" image wise, never had really short hair so no idea how it will look, but either way I think it is worth trying, I may love it and it will certainly be easy to maintain as well as making thinner areas look more blended from what I have read/seen.

NickUK01

Reaction score
So I bit the bullet today and got a buzzcut, 1.5 on the sides upto a 2 on the top. I can say that thankfully it looks pretty good! I have a decent shape head it would seem. You can see the thinning area at the back and some recession at the hairline (I'd say an NW2), but it is a relief that the look works for me, I think I am actually going to go down to a 1 all over at the weekend. Next step now is starting finasteride...

NickUK01

Reaction score
*UPDATE*

So I thought I would post an update as to what I am doing regimen wise as well as future plans.

At the moment I am now shaving my head down to either a 1 or a 0, the look works for me and makes the loss less noticeable which is good as far as stopping me constantly checking etc. Tonight I bit the proverbial bullet and took 0.5mg Propecia, so at the moment my regimen is;

0.5mg Propecia daily
S5 cream 2 x daily (day cream and night cream)
Nizoral 1-2 times per week
Regenepure DR 2-3 times per week, Regenepure NT or Alpecin Double Effect on the other days. Regenepure conditioner daily.

Supplements (daily);

High quality multivitamins
1200mg Biotin
25mg Zinc Picolinate
100mg Grape Seed Extract
1000ug D3

Of course the supplements are for overall health as a posed to hair related (although the Grape Seed and Zinc is to help with potential sides that may arise with finasteride).

I have Regaine 5ml foam but am holding back on that for a month or two, I want to see how the regimen I am currently using works for me and then add it into the mix.

As it stands this is what I am doing daily. I will monitor things for the next month or two, hoping not to get any kind of sides from finasteride, if I do I will cross that bridge when I get to it, but I am hopeful I won't and will either stop or lower my dosage accordingly. I also take Sertraline 200mg daily for years (for OCD/depression related stuff), funnily enough after checking sides for those tablets sexual related ones are some of the more common ones in men, but I never checked or worried about it, funny how you don't think about sides for one type of drug but do for another huh?

So this is how it stands, any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Photos will be added soon too. My hairline is an NW2-2.5 with a 3A vertex. I will take them every 2-3 months.

NickUK01

Reaction score
So a week on finasteride, didn't notice much until last night, although a few times last week I had a dull ache in my penis, had trouble maintaining a "solid" state with my fella, even at the time I didn't panic so wasn't nerves etc, still not panicking about it either funnily enough. Today I have noticed some brain fog, having a hard time finding the correct words and stuttering a lot with sentences and finding what I'm looking for to complete the sentence. I work in tech support so speaking to people all day, which has been a pain seeing as I am having some trouble explaining things! I'm not sure what my plan will be, I always said if I saw any negative sides I would discontinue, more due to not wanting anything to drag on if I stop taking it etc.