New to site, have some questions

jpzss

Reaction score
Hey all, I just came across this site about 2 weeks ago and have been trying to read up as much as I can. I also want to start out by saying sorry for the long post. I have a few questions on somethings I've seen and I can't seem to find the answers even though I do a lot of searching.

First, my situation. I just turned 27 and I guess I would be a Norwood 2. About 2.5 years ago I noticed my templed had pretty much disappeared, like overnight. But I still had a strong "mature" hair line and the rest of my hair is really thick. A little over a year ago I noticed that the front of my head was really thinning out compared to the middle and back of my head, which was and continues to be extremely thick. My hairline still stayed pretty good, but just had overall thinning. I figured I would start to lose more so I got on Propecia. I think it helped to stop more loss, a litlte decreased libido. I decided to try to see if I could thicken that hair up. I heard an add on the radio for low-level laser light therapy, so I went to check it out. They obviously said I was a candidate and wanted me as a referall so they gave me $1000 off the cost. I've been doing it for the past 3-4 months and thought my front had thickened up some. In the past 2-3 weeks, my front has seemed to really gotten thinner and my hair line is losing some hairs. They say it's a normal shed because the old dead hairs are getting pushed out. So I'm thinking of adding some products and want some advice based on what I've read so far on here.

I just ordered some Folligen to help speed up the growth process during the dormant phase. I also have a little itching which I heard this will help. I was going to buy some 1% Nizoral to start out with and some American Crew CU peptides. I was also thinking of trying 2% spironolactone but see some mixed reviews. I also can't find where to buy it at. I'm also contemplating Reivogen. So it's a toss up between spironolactone and Revivogen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
jpzss said:
So I'm thinking of adding some products and want some advice based on what I've read so far on here.
My first bit of advice is to pick a regimen and try to stick with it. You don't want to continually add and take away from a regimen because you will constantly be kicking things off kilter. Secondly, low level laser therapy does not have the data backing it to justify the cost at this time, unless you have the cash, and are using it as an adjunct to a clinically proven regimen. The fact that they took $1,000 off scares me. Exactly how much did you have to pay for this? The only thing we're 100% sure of with laser therapy at this time is that it can cosmetically thicken the width of the hair to make it look like its thicker. I have not seen any data demonstrating that it can increase hair counts as of yet.

My advice:

1. Stay on Propecia 1mg daily
2. Drop the laser therapy unless you're overwhelmingly loaded. The cost to benefit ratio has not been established. Either way, you have to continue with it forever if you want to maintain what you grow from it. Is that realistic? If not, drop it.
3. Immediately add Nizoral 1% from the grocery store and start using it once every 3 days. That should handle the itch. Continue using it indefinitely.
4. I would give Propecia & Nizoral a full 8 to 12 months before you add anything. See if it does the trick for you. If at the 12 month mark you are not satisfied with the density, consider adding Rogaine 5% and apply once per day.

Also check out the photo gallery section in the main part of the site, and find martin's photos. He has the hair loss you describe, and he did the above regimen and came through with flying colors after 2 yrs.

HairLossTalk.com

jpzss

Reaction score
Thanks for the response HairLossTalk.com. I took a look at those pictures and I must say I'm very impressed. Although I don't think my hairloss is nearly as bad as Martin's, I would like it to get better. It's just the front of my head that is showing any loss, and it's just a thinning and some loss of the hair line. This only goes back about an inch to inch and a half. My hair from then back is just as thick as when I was younger. I'm going to the store today to pick up some Nizoral 1% and will continue with Propecia.

As far as the laser therapy, the entire treatment was $2500. I kinda rushed into it and didn't do much research. I've already paid for the entire treatment with financing. I know, stupid, but it's done. I only have like 6 times left to go out of the 20 the recommended. Might as well finish.

Not that I'm going to, but where can I buy spironolactone? I can't find any mention in any posts I read about where to actually buy it. I just want to see how much it is. Thx

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you really want to do the laser therapy long term, buy a Lasercomb. You can get them for about $500 on Ebay. Like HairLossTalk.com said, there is currently no scientific evidence that laser therapy regrows hair, although it is FDA approved for improving the thickness and appearance of hair, which may help cover balding spots. I have used one four times now, and each time my hair is much more manageable and looks better than on the days I don't use it. I don't know why that is, but it is striking and has happened every time except the first day I used it.