New To Hair System And Need Guidance

wii4u

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks to this amazing forum, I've moved to hair system and that makes me liberated from the thought of not having a hair anymore. I've joined one of the hair clubs just because I wanted to get some confidence in how the whole procedure would work, in future I would definitely go through DIY route.

There are couple of questions which I would like to ask:

1. I have worn this system since two weeks but it has already faded/discolored partially and how do I avoid this? Do I need to use any specific product that would not let the discoloration happen? Any specific brand?

2. My hair system has become pretty dry, what to apply on it to make it look more soft and natural?

3. Any specific shampoo/conditioner to apply on the hair system?

4. There are couple of websites to buy hair system for DIY route, which are the reliable ones and which type of hair system to consider? I think my hair club has given me a full poly base which is pretty thick.

Appreciate your responses!

Attachments

• IMG_20190330_151957.jpg
    IMG_20190330_151957.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_20190330_154415.jpg
    IMG_20190330_154415.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_20190330_154341.jpg
    IMG_20190330_154341.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 322

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Wii4u

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new look. Here are some answers to your Qs:

1. I have worn this system since two weeks but it has already faded/discolored partially and how do I avoid this? Do I need to use any specific product that would not let the discoloration happen? Any specific brand?

Yes, you are getting reddish tones creeping in, which is not uncommon for very black hair. It is likely caused by exposure to the sun. You need to get a colour-correcting shampoo or conditioner. They have a green tone which neutralises the red. You can get them at a good pharmacy or supermarket, because women who dye their hair get this issue to. Or Hair Direct sell one which I have been told is good (I don't have black hair myself, so I don't get this problem) -

http://www.hairdirect.com/store/ppi-color-correcting-red-shampoo-8oz.aspx

You might need to use it every 2 or 3 weeks to keep a good colour match. The other things I would recommend are (1) don't wash your hairpiece hair with shampoo too often. Hairpiece hair doesn't get dirty like natural hair, because it doesn't have sebaceous glands pumping oil onto it, and for the same reason it can dry out if you overwash it. Once a week is normally enough. The rest of the time just shampoo your natural side hair and just let the warm shower water run through the system hair. (2) use a leave-in conditioner with a good sunscreen (SPF 30+) on your system every day to protect it from sun damage.

2. My hair system has become pretty dry, what to apply on it to make it look more soft and natural?

If you keep the shampooing to once a week and you use a leave-in conditioner, that will go a long way to help. If it is still dry, try a little argan oil (Morocco oil).

3. Any specific shampoo/conditioner to apply on the hair system?

You can get special hairpiece shampoos from places like Hair Direct, but I don't think it is necessary. Just get a mild shampoo from the local supermarket - pick one for "processed hair". Any good quality rich conditioner is fine. Personally I like American Crew, but there are lots of possibilities.

4. There are couple of websites to buy hair system for DIY route, which are the reliable ones and which type of hair system to consider? I think my hair club has given me a full poly base which is pretty thick.

I will PM you some suggestions.

Noah

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can buy Sulphate-free shampoos/conditioners from eBay or Amazon. They are less harmful to the colour in your hair. Maybe consider using these when you get your next system.

Get some leave-in conditioner spray that you can use on your hair whenever it looks dry. I use it once or twice a day. An Argan oil one will be good.

I think your hair looks too thick/dense on top. This is a problem I also have. Maybe go for a lower density one next time.

On your side hair, which is very thin, you can try to use something like black Mane spray, or Dermmatch. I use these because my side hair is thin too.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder if maybe you should consider more of a tapered haircut? It could hide the texture differences between your natural hair and your hair system.