New to forum, not to hair loss :/

brad2014

Reaction score
So I will be eagerly participating in this thread and forum to hopefully get more detail on my hair loss. I am a 27 yr old male who has slowly noticed and been in denial on hair loss. Over the years it has gradually gotten worse, but for the most part, been able to hide with how thick my hair is and it's fast growth. I am an extremely hairy man that was passed down genetically. I probably beat out 97% of males in hair body. I battle that a lot, but the hair loss is something I am really trying to see if I can prevent/slow down. I feel in a good 10-15 years when I'm around the age of 40, I truly believe a breakthrough will happen in the medical field to have long term fixes for this.

Treatments: Currently, I am doing none.

I'm a 6'3 male, my weight is around 200 lbs. In my senior year of high school to all of college, I was very overweight, my max weight hit 275 lbs. I lost all that weight for countless years now and I constantly lift/stay active. I can run miles + 12 x bench my own body weight.

Hair loss starting estimation: Probably age 18-20
I can somewhat pull out 3-5 strands of hair in the front part but not really in the back/side/top at ease. I have been battling dandruff for years (not sure if this helps at all)

Here is a pic of me not using my hair to cover up balding spots
IMG_20140507_105437.jpgIMG_20140507_105443.jpgf9b43422bf86d5bbb0a25b752f2db74c.jpgIMG_20140507_105606.jpg

these are pics with my using my hair to "conceal" the loss.
IMG_20140507_105548.jpg

Curious to hear your all input on what you may think I may, how severe it may, remedies/suggestions to fix.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Only way you're going to stop/slow your hair loss or more ambitiously get some regrowth, get on Propecia and Minoxidil. I strongly suggest you also look into RU58841, I personally don't know much about the product but it seems to be the only alternative to Propecia, which is a risky drug. I assume you've read about propecia?

I recommend a low dosage of 0.25 while first starting propecia.

brad2014

Reaction score
Only way you're going to stop/slow your hair loss or more ambitiously get some regrowth, get on Propecia and Minoxidil. I strongly suggest you also look into RU58841, I personally don't know much about the product but it seems to be the only alternative to Propecia, which is a risky drug. I assume you've read about propecia?

I recommend a low dosage of 0.25 while first starting propecia.
I'm extremely new to hair loss treatment/uneducated.
I've read so many sites, nothing that seems legit/worthy to take note one. For one good site that I read one thing, there's another site that contradicts it. It's very furstrating so I rather see what the consensus of you all that have done countless hours of research think both about my patterns/etc.

brad2014

Reaction score
This is a pic of me about 6 years ago when I was drunk 1 night, got a mohawk and then a few days after, buzzed it and this is the result. When I look at a pic like this, I just really don't see much loss? Am I being niave?
e62bf5b804b85eea05b257bd4a70a096.jpg
Also, very uneducated on the terms/treatments. How do I go about getting propecia/minoxidil? Are these treatments full time or like rogaine that once stopped, the hair loss comes back drastically. What Norwood do you all think I have? I put it at III

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maybe your hair loss has stabilized some-how, because I'm pretty sure that's a NW3.

There is such thing as stabilization in hair loss, as hard as maybe to believe.
I guess I would just leave it, don' bother with any meds.

brad2014

Reaction score
Maybe your hair loss has stabilized some-how, because I'm pretty sure that's a NW3.

There is such thing as stabilization in hair loss, as hard as maybe to believe.
I guess I would just leave it, don' bother with any meds.
I wouldn't say it's stablized, but I have noticed as mentioned in the first thread, as I shower I see a lot of hair come out from shampoo'ing along with if I just use my fingers and grab the frontal middle, hair comes out a heck of a lot easier than in the back/sides.

some things to note, I am not up to par on the technical terms, but on the front corners where obviously the hair has faded away, I will have just like a few hair folicles that are perfectly fine and healthy. Like I once shaved them down to scalp and they grew back normal and at same piece as my other head hair.

Is lipogaine or bioton pills worth a try?

I really wish to seek a dermatolagist, but almost any online searches I see is either for ones not specializing in hair loss, or those who only have ads are for surgical hair loss treatments...

brad2014

Reaction score
From the pics I've seen, I would definitely say I am NW3.

I really want to visit a dermatologist to get an expert opinion but I feel they are either not in hair loss, or only do hair loss procedures.

I've thought of trying lipogaine and/or biotin but really not sure. Both seem very low cost to try.

something that may help, in the frontal corners (lack of technical terms), I have just a few, maybe 5-10 on each side single random hairs that are perfectly healthy, strong, and grow like my normal hair. I don't know what that means at all.

I just want to be proactive as when I shower now, I see a larger amount of hair coming out, and as mentioned before, it's way easier for me to pull frontal hair out then my side/back hair with my fingers.

hermandolol

Reaction score
How is your family history when it comes to hairloss?
If your father is more than a nw3 I would recommend starting treatment.
All the best.

brad2014

Reaction score
Dad side:
Saw a pic of my grandfather and his 4 brothers, all have a receding hair line, but even now here is a recent pic of him, amazing to have hair at age 90.
f65d95dad28b477603441cd70975605c.jpg
My dad has basically the same "pace" as him(my grandfather) and he is age 65.

My mom side, I can't really recall my grandfather (he died at a very early age in my life). My uncles on my mom side do not have any signs of baldness, although a few show signs of receding hair line (the blood uncles, not married into family ones).

My older half brother who is about 7 years older than me has perfectly good hair (my dad side of family).
My younger brother who is about 11 months younger has a little bit of receding hair line, but nothing as visual as mine.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
start finasteride at 1mg or 1.25mg daily. taking .25mg daily will not do anything beneficial over 1mg and it may give you worse results. If all you want to do is maintain than finasteride will be enough. If you want regrowth you may want to add minoxodil to your regimen or swap finasteride for dutasteride. However the hair loss type/pattern you have gives you poor prospects of regrowth compared to other hair loss patterns. If you get these meds online as generics you can get them cheap.

brad2014

Reaction score
Any other comments, suggestions on applications/side effects?

I am looking for a better camera to show you all a more high in depth look.