New To All This - Feeling A Bit Lost

sm9690

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I've been losing my hair for almost 10 years now and have been using Toppik for the last 5. I've now finally decided to take the plunge and get a system but it is all quite overwhelming and I don't really know where to start.

Can anyone recommend any places in and around London?

Edalca

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I've been losing my hair for almost 10 years now and have been using Toppik for the last 5. I've now finally decided to take the plunge and get a system but it is all quite overwhelming and I don't really know where to start.

Can anyone recommend any places in and around London?
Look up HairExperience on youtube. Its a channel made by a guy named Curtis on Hair Systems

Pelu

My Regimen
Reaction score
This article that I found in internet ,this site and his people and YouTube . Help me to desire to do everything by myself and learn from the mistakes as many of us.
Haircut
  • Most clients take care of the cut-in after they receive their order, but there is nothing quite like the services of a great stylist to make you look your best. Haircut tips are listed here.
  • In general you do not have to expose yourself by removing your unit in public. You usually go to a stylist with the unit firmly attached and it’s still on when you get home. So don't fear sitting in a glass fronted public salon and being embarrassed in front of the other clients. You just have to face the consultation with your stylist and be confident that they understand the sensitive nature of your situation.
  • Due to the personal nature of hair-loss, many clients self-cut at home with vacuum haircutters such as the Robo-Cut or the Flowbee, or learn how to self-cut with clippers, guides and mirrors. We highly recommend you spend a couple of hours researching on YouTube to see how you can avoid going out for that haircut altogether. Nothing beats the satisfaction and savings of ordering online and cutting your own hair!
  • If using a regular stylist or barber, ensure that the edge hair is left longer for the blend. This is the main issue with going to a regular stylist. The most common disaster is the edge hairs get cut too short during tapering, blending, or fading. But if the stylist is made aware that the unit's edge hairs must remain longer, they should have the ability to avoid making this mistake.
  • Cutting a hairpiece or wig is not the same as cutting growing hair. Straight-razor haircuts, which can be nice on growing hair, look lousy on hairpieces and you end up with something that looks like feathery split ends. Point cutting each elevation with shears or clippers works better, so politely tell your stylist you don't approve the use of a razor during your haircut.
  • Scissors over comb and clippers over comb are recommended, but again, for side and back blending, these techniques have a high risk of making the unit's edge hairs too short, so be aware and make sure that such blending and graduation does not cause the hairs at the edge of the unit be cut too short. You need this edge hair for a natural transition from unit to real hair.
  • Try to leave an extra couple of millimeters length because you can revive the texture and feel of an older unit by giving it a new haircut after a couple of months of wear. This tip alone can stretch the lifespan of an old piece by months.
  • To reduce density, consider sending the unit in for a factory repair because if thinning shears are used, you'll still have the original knot density at the root and it will look awful and move terribly.
  • If you want to try going it alone, AT YOUR OWN RISK, some things that are good to have at home include:
  • a very powerful vacuum cleaner,
  • the best clippers you can afford, for example Oster 76, or Andis Masters, and a full set of guard combs. (With a salon cut-in costing up to $250 every time, you can afford to buy the best clippers once).
  • a flat-top comb, and a blending/fading comb, brightly colored plastic if your hair is dark, and black if you are blond or gray.
  • a three-way mirror,
  • a Robo-Cut or Flowbee, (many find these easier to learn to use than clippers)
  • a man-size Styrofoam mannequin head and a clamp stand, plus wig T pins, for comfortably cutting a unit you don't have on your head.
How short can I cut my hair?
Hairpieces:

This will depend on your natural hair's density. Assuming you have a hairpiece and your own hair at the back and sides, then if your real hair's density is light-to-medium or higher, you may be able to cut your own hair down to a #3 clipper comb, or 3/8". If your real hair is light density you should not go below a #4 clipper comb or 1/2". If your real hair is cut too short with insufficient density then there will probably be some kind of visible line where the hairpiece hair overlaps.

For the hairpiece hair, you need that hair to be a certain length to hide the base it is attached to. An inch is usually about as short as you should go.

In general blending in a hairpiece benefits from an inch on the unit and 1/2" on the head or it's just too difficult to hide the transition.

Wigs:
For full wig, until a better type of base in invented, you can forget about ultra-short fades. You usually need an inch or so to disguise the fact that it is a wig. The lower the density, the more length must remain to maintain the illusion. With heavier densities you may be able to get away with 1/2" or even 3/8" on a thin poly such as RAGE.

Hair Stylists and Barbers.
We had a short list of salons and stylists listed in this position on the site for years but it was always going out of date so we no longer list service providers. We encourage you to manage your template-making and ordering by yourself. Any very good normal stylist can cut in your hairpiece.