New study on topical Resveratrol for hair loss

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Study published 27 november 2021

Abstract​

Background​

Oxidative damage has been found in various types of hair loss. As a polyphenolic phytoalexin, resveratrol (RSV) is known as an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic agent.

Objective​

Thus, we aim to examine the effects of RSV on hair growth.

Methods​

In vivo C57BL/6 mice were used to evaluate the effects of RSV on hair cycle, hair length, skin thickness, hair follicle diameter, hair cycle score and the percentage of hair cycle stage. Then hair shaft length and hair cycle were evaluated by human hair follicles (HFs) ex vivo. The proliferative activities of human dermal papilla cells (hDPCs) cultured in vitro with RSV were assessed using RTCA. The ability of RSV to protect hDPCs against H2O2-induced oxidative damage is examined by a ROS assay kit.

Results​

Topical application of RSV significantly promoted hair growth and stimulated the transition of hair cycle from telogen into the anagen phase on shaved C57BL/6 mice. Ex vivo experiments showed that RSV increased the hair shaft length of HFs and delayed the entry into catagen. In vitro experiments indicated that RSV proliferated hDPCs and prevented hDPCs from oxidative damage caused by H2O2.

Conclusion​

RSV can promote hair growth and may be a potential candidate for the treatment of hair loss.

Last edited:

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The topical melatonin consensus seemed to be around 0.1% but idk about resveratrol

InCider

Established Member
Reaction score
1. Hmmm..........Lots of things work in mice that don't work in human beings

2. I know plenty of people that take resveratrol as part of an anti-aging regime. None have reported any hair or hair loss benefits.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can just get the current stemoxydine product from loreal with resveratrol and drop 0.1-.2% melatonin into it.

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
You can just get the current stemoxydine product from loreal with resveratrol and drop 0.1-.2% melatonin into it.
I emailed L’Oréal a while ago, to ask them how much resveratrol was in stemoxydine. They couldn’t tell me as its a secret, so we have no idea if it’s enough!

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I emailed L’Oréal a while ago, to ask them how much resveratrol was in stemoxydine. They couldn’t tell me as its a secret, so we have no idea if it’s enough!
I wouldn't obsess with percentages. Topically you usually don't need that much, and not even drugs are pefectly dosed, so no one probably even knows what's the correct concentration is to use.

TheBlackSuit

My Regimen
Reaction score
Melatonin is very unstable from what I saw in some studies (only stable between 6-13 days), so not sure what they did to stabilize it....... It would be smarter to just buy melatonin tabs and resv powder to try it out.

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score