New study on piroctone olamine and hair growth

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Abstract​

Objective: Increasing scalp hair fullness is a global unmet consumer need. An approach to decrease hair shedding by reducing scalp stratum corneum oxidation via a combination of antioxidant and barrier-enhancing technologies has been previously demonstrated. The purpose of this study was to test the effectiveness of the individual antioxidant piroctone olamine in two different product forms (shampoo or leave-on product) for activity to improve hair retention.

Methods: Female subjects with self-perceived hair thinning participated in an 8-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical study to evaluate either a piroctone olamine (PO) containing shampoo or a PO containing leave on treatment, each relative to their corresponding placebo formulation Too many periods. Results for phototrichograms, TEWL, and biomarker analysis of scalp condition for the shampoo treatments are discussed. Phototrichogram results are shared for the assessment of the leave on treatment.

Results: Statistically significant increases in hair amount were observed by phototrichogram after use of both PO-containing products versus placebo formulations. The PO shampoo treatment also significantly decreased oxidative stress on the hair and scalp, and improved scalp condition as assessed by TEWL and scalp biomarker values.

Conclusion: These results illustrate the effectiveness of a cosmetic antioxidant to improve scalp condition thereby improving hair retention. The observed improvements in scalp condition are consistent with previous reports with other antioxidant technologies and suggest that the hair retention effect was achieved by preventing oxidative damage to the scalp.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've use it and it doesn't fry hair that much, but it is gross and itch like hell(at least to me). It is also hard to use if you have long hair.
Was gonna mix it into alcohol solution that would work as I have done it with spironolactone cream.

5minutesbeforemiracle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Seems like a good alternative for those who hate ketoconazole effects on hair (dryness)
No way. Ketoconazole is an anti-androgen. The piroctone olamine shampoo is an anti-oxidant, so it just makes your scalp/hair healthier but won't combat male pattern baldness much. They even said in the study, they didn't select participants with a "pattern of genetic hairloss".

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
No way. Ketoconazole is an anti-androgen. The piroctone olamine shampoo is an anti-oxidant, so it just makes your scalp/hair healthier but won't combat male pattern baldness much. They even said in the study, they didn't select participants with a "pattern of genetic hairloss".

PO outperformed Ketoconazole on hair diameter...

Besides, a lot of the damage of androgens comes from oxidative stress in the first place:

Etc.

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
PO outperformed Ketoconazole on hair diameter...

Besides, a lot of the damage of androgens comes from oxidative stress in the first place:

Etc.
Did you see results from PO shampoo? Like reduced shedding or thicker hair?

Still dont know if i need to buy ketoconazole shampoo..it has more evidence for Androgenetic Alopecia and i like his anti androgens effects on scalp

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you see results from PO shampoo? Like reduced shedding or thicker hair?

Still dont know if i need to buy ketoconazole shampoo..it has more evidence for Androgenetic Alopecia and i like his anti androgens effects on scalp
I'm going to use both Nizoral and PO twice per week.

Last edited:

Michaels

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am always sceptical of studies on proprietary products that are funded by the very companies that are selling the product. This study is funded by Proctor and Gamble
Totally agree, as we’ve seen with almost every single product that doesn’t work, especially when they say Better than minoxidil or finasteride, yeah in their so called “scientific studies” it’s too funny