New Study: Long Term Dutasteride Is Associated With Metabolic Alterations

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Still surprise me that, in 2022, some people think that can eliminate a NATURAL in range enzyme in their body ( 5-alpha-reductase ) and no side effect will happen. And, worst part, inhibiting in the whole body cause you only need to block it in the scalp ( contrary to what Mercks propaganda told us in the 90s )
There's that word again. NATURAL. jamesbooker if you believe in being natural, what are you even doing here? male pattern baldness is natural. Aging is natural. Evolution is clearly directed by a grand intelligent design and not just reacting to an ever changing environment producing imperfect but best fit designs. To try to modify it to any degree is a fool's errand. You are 100% right. Now stop using a website dedicated to combating a NATURAL condition that nature intended and live your NATURAL life in NATURE.

Regan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's that word again. NATURAL. jamesbooker if you believe in being natural, what are you even doing here? male pattern baldness is natural. Aging is natural. Evolution is clearly directed by a grand intelligent design and not just reacting to an ever changing environment producing imperfect but best fit designs. To try to modify it to any degree is a fool's errand. You are 100% right. Now stop using a website dedicated to combating a NATURAL condition that nature intended and live your NATURAL life in NATURE.

Using chemicals to alter our bodies is natural. Human beings have evolved to build pharmaceutical companies that crank out all sorts of wonderful goodies that change human biochemistry.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Still surprise me that, in 2022, some people think that can eliminate a NATURAL in range enzyme in their body ( 5-alpha-reductase ) and no side effect will happen. And, worst part, inhibiting in the whole body cause you only need to block it in the scalp ( contrary to what Mercks propaganda told us in the 90s )
Easy for you to say with no hairloss just BDD.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Here is an older study showing 5AR metabolites of corticosterone are still active and have similar potency but 5BR metabolites are inert. This again verifies my thinking that 5BR is more important than 5AR for glucocorticoid metabolism. This makes me question the conclusion some of the studies earlier in the thread had about increased glucocorticoid exposure due to 5AR inhibition as this study mentions, 5AR often times increases the potency of the hormones it metabolizes. Granted this is with corticosterone and not cortisol but I have no reason to assume there would be a difference.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Using chemicals to alter our bodies is natural. Human beings have evolved to build pharmaceutical companies that crank out all sorts of wonderful goodies that change human biochemistry.
I agree with this. I was just using jamesbooker's implied definition of natural, a state that came about without conscious human interference.

norwood_spotter

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
brutal how one side operates with studies while the other side argues with feelings, annecdotal evidence and availability heuristics.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, you can do it without inhibiting SYSTEMIC an enzyme that is part of , at least, another 8 reactions and hormones . Being stupide, look like is your NATURAL state ;)

otann

My Regimen
Reaction score
In regards to allopregnanolone
I commented on this on the first page.
While I'm skeptical of claims that 5ar1 inhibition-induced reduction of neurosteroids is disastrous, I don't know that this study provides evidence to the contrary. The observation that 0.5-mg/d dutasteride didn't decrease allopregnanolone in these women isn't generalizable because the PMDD-afflicted women have excessively high progesterone (and thus, allopregnanolone) during the luteal phase. This suggests that the 0.5-mg/d dosage was simply too weak to stave off the expected increase (which is why a mild increase was still observed), whereas the 2.5-mg/d dosage's greater inhibition of 5ar1 was sufficient (explaining the desired decrease in allop and concordant increase in prog). In a normal population whose progesterone levels aren't through the roof, I'd expect 0.5 mg/d dutasteride to be enough to put a dent into allopregnanolone.

Last edited:

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
While I'm skeptical of claims that 5ar1 inhibition-induced reduction of neurosteroids is disastrous, I don't know that this study provides evidence to the contrary. The observation that 0.5-mg/d dutasteride didn't decrease allopregnanolone in these women isn't generalizable because the PMDD-afflicted women have excessively high progesterone (and thus, allopregnanolone) during the luteal phase. This suggests that the 0.5-mg/d dosage was simply too weak to stave off the expected increase (which is why a mild increase was still observed), whereas the 2.5-mg/d dosage's greater inhibition of 5ar1 was sufficient (explaining the desired decrease in allop and concordant increase in prog). In a normal population whose progesterone levels aren't through the roof, I'd expect 0.5 mg/d dutasteride to be enough to put a dent into allopregnanolone.
This is from the other thread.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To expand on the above, the increase in allopregnanolone levels during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle is almost certainly due to the surge in the precursor to allopregnanolone, progesterone, that happens immediately prior to the luteal phase and not due to an increase in 5AR.

uals.com%2FContent%2FImages%2Fmmanual_fb_share_all.jpg

Menstrual Cycle - Women's Health Issues - Merck Manuals Consumer Version

Menstrual Cycle and Women's Health Issues - Learn about from the Merck Manuals - Medical Consumer Version.
www.merckmanuals.com
www.merckmanuals.com
The ovulatory phase begins with a surge in luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone levels. Luteinizing hormone stimulates egg release (ovulation), which usually occurs 16 to 32 hours after the surge begins. The estrogen level decreases during the surge, and the progesterone level starts to increase.

During the luteal phase, luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone levels decrease. The ruptured follicle closes after releasing the egg and forms a corpus luteum, which produces progesterone.

If there was a change in 5AR levels during the change from follicular to luteal phases then we could expect to also see a change in DHT levels yet that does not occur.
.nih.gov%2Fpubmed%2Fpersistent%2Fpubmed-meta-image.png

Reexamination of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, estradiol and estrone levels across the menstrual cycle and in postmenopausal women measured by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry - PubMed

Measuring serum androgen levels in women has been challenging due to limitations in method accuracy, precision sensitivity and specificity at low hormone levels. The clinical significance of changes in sex steroids across the menstrual cycle and lifespan has remained controversial, in part due...
.gov%2Fcoreutils%2Fnwds%2Fimg%2Ffavicons%2Ffavicon.png
pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Samples were obtained in ovulatory women in the early follicular phase (EFP), midcycle and mid luteal phase (MLP). Overall, the levels of T, DHT, E2 and E1 in premenopausal women measured by LC-MS/MS were lower overall than previously reported with immunoassays. In premenopausal women, serum T, free T, E2, E1 and SHBG levels peaked at midcycle and remained higher in the MLP, whereas DHT did not change.
So with 5AR levels remaining seemingly constant, it takes 2.5 mg of dutasteride ED to stabilize allopregnanolone in women with PMDD. Also something to consider, due to the feed forward nature of DHT and 5AR, men will have more 5AR enzyme than women yet women will most likely have higher allopregnanolone due to having higher levels of progesterone, the precursor hormone to allopregnanolone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The point being that the reduction in 5AR1 was not a sufficient limiting factor with .5 mg ED and women with PMDD do not appear to have abnormal levels of 5AR1. In a normal population with lower progesterone, I would expect it to be a non issue. With lower progesterone, you are not going to have a bottleneck at the progesterone -> 5AR ->5alpha-DHP level. PMDD women who have high progesterone are actually the perfect group to test how effective inhibiting 5AR is at reducing allopregnanolone when substrate amount is not a limiting factor.

Last edited:

otann

My Regimen
Reaction score
The point being that the reduction in 5AR1 was not a sufficient limiting factor with .5 mg ED and women with PMDD do not appear to have abnormal levels of 5AR1. In a normal population with lower progesterone, I would expect it to be a non issue. With lower progesterone, you are not going to have a bottleneck at the progesterone -> 5AR ->5alpha-DHP level. PMDD women who have high progesterone are actually the perfect group to test how effective inhibiting 5AR is at reducing allopregnanolone when substrate amount is not a limiting factor.

Thanks, I hadn't seen the other posts. This is a cogent point. If 5-AR1 wasn't the rate-limiting factor for PMDD women with aberrant progesterone at 0.5-mg/d inhibition levels, then it probably isn't for men with presumably similar (or even greater) 5-AR1 concentrations, yet lower saturation consequent to normal progesterone levels. The latter might even have a greater buffer, allowing titration up from 0.5 mg/d (although likely not to 2.5 mg/d).

My only qualm is that I feel that there are still a few too many assumptions baked into the argument (wrt comparability of 5-AR1 levels, degree of saturation, and catalytic efficiency, etc. between the two sexes). The mass spec study (highlighting constant DHT) is a nice find and a bit reaffirming; I will do a little armchair research and share if I find anything insightful.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, I hadn't seen the other posts. This is a cogent point. If 5-AR1 wasn't the rate-limiting factor for PMDD women with aberrant progesterone at 0.5-mg/d inhibition levels, then it probably isn't for men with presumably similar (or even greater) 5-AR1 concentrations, yet lower saturation consequent to normal progesterone levels. The latter might even have a greater buffer, allowing titration up from 0.5 mg/d (although likely not to 2.5 mg/d).

My only qualm is that I feel that there are still a few too many assumptions baked into the argument (wrt comparability of 5-AR1 levels, degree of saturation, and catalytic efficiency, etc. between the two sexes). The mass spec study (highlighting constant DHT) is a nice find and a bit reaffirming; I will do a little armchair research and share if I find anything insightful.
Something else I was curious about was the affinity that 5AR1 has for T and P. Since men have higher T than women, I thought P would have to compete with T for 5AR availability more so in men than women. I managed to find this:

Both 5α-R isozymes have a higher affinity for progesterone than for other steroid substrates. Circulating progesterone levels are higher in the female than in the male.

Granted, this study is in female rats but it's actually very interesting(DHT is used to feminize female rat brains by increasing 5AR and thereby increasing GABA stimulation from what I gathered). The paragraph that quote is from is referring sexual dimorphic differences in 5AR1 in rats but I took the last two statements as non sex specific generalizations that would apply to humans as well.