New Side Effect: Forgetfullness, Cloudy, Depression

JoeySmith

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've been taking Propecia for the past year, and lately (the last few months) have been feeling "out of it": cloudy-headed, forgetful, some depression. I've read this may be a side-effect of a DHT-inhibitor.

My question is: Has anyone else gone thru this, and what could you do to help it or deal with it? I dont want to give up the Propecia since its working well.

Thx,
Joey

kris50

Reaction score
Joey,

I get the same effect and I've only been on Proscar for 3 months. Though it's not as bad as it was.

I'm taking daily vitamins, Msm and L'arginine to give me some more energy and focus! Actually Proscar was making me feel really lazy so I needed something to give me a kick so to speak!!

Seems to be doing it's stuff at the moment, though I still get the odd mood swing. Guess I'll just have to deal with it.

luke77

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but are you sure it's the propecia? If it took that long to show up it might not be because of the drug. Have you had any major lifestyle changes?

JoeySmith

Reaction score
Thx Kris50, I'll look into these. Can you buy them at a GNC? Any particular dosage/brands you recommend?
Joey

JoeySmith

Reaction score
Luke77,
No major life style changes. I have a pretty stressful work life, but I make sure to eat right, exercise, etc. and that hasnt dropped off. These side effects come and go, and they're not severe, but they've happened enough lately to make me notice.
Joey

kris50

Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot to mention that regular excersise has definately helped as well.

The MSM I use is in pill form but I would recommend getting the pure powder stuff as it doesn't contain any additives. The L'arginine is from Holland and Barrett UK, £4 for 50 tablets

G

these are very well known finasteride side-effects. they have been reported many times on different forums.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
but I had a cloudy mind and forgetfullness before I got on finasteride, so I can't blame finasteride out-right. Exercise is the best medicine for what ails you.

Stingray

Reaction score
I'm sure that these can be caused by screwing with your hormones. Lowering your DHT might cause another hormone to attach to certain receptors that would otherwise bind with DHT.

However.

Diet, exercise (or lack thereof), and mental state can all cause that.

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
I've cut my dosage from 1/4 proscar to a little less than 1/8th a day.

By doing this I maintain the exact same effectiveness as the larger dose on my hairloss but all of those sides are now history.

I feel better and my libido (which I had thought wasn't affected) has doubled.

since .22mg is just as effective as 1mg finasteride on hair I would do what I'm doing and lower your dose.

I don't go for that "skip a day" nonsense because I believe the body and hormones need a consistency.

I believe a low level constant line of finasteride is better for you than a spike and then drop, spike then a drop.

This site has graphs that prove that taking more than .22mg finasteride is just a waste of money. Ask the moderator.

JoeySmith

Reaction score
GreenSoap,
Wow. I've never heard that. What do other people think about taking .25mg of Fini versus 1mg, but still maintaining the same effectiveness?
Joey

Stingray

Reaction score
It's not the amount you take, it's the amount in your bloodstream. They give a 1mg recommended dose for a reason. The half-life of the Finasteride molecule is relatively short in the bloodstream, so therefore .22mg isn't sufficient as a daily dose to keep serum levels at an effective level to do what the drug is meant to do.

But what do I know?

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score

those side effects are caused by aspartame. Do you drink Coke light or generally diet products?