new S5 bedtime and daytime spironolactone

rcom440

Reaction score
Just noticed new package of s5 spironolactone here on HairLossTalk.com.
They offer daytime and bedtime versions of spironolactone. Anyone knows
what's the difference in the formula. I received s5 bedtime jar
last time I ordered spironolactone bit I'm planning to use it during the day and at night.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
Both of the jars contain a new skin penetrating ingredient tocopheryl acetate. Otherwise, S5 daytime has the exact same ingredients as the regular S5 jars. The bedtime version has 1% adenosine instead of 1% caffeine. Adenosine is use to treat irregular heart beats. I don't know if they are afraid of someone being hospitalized because of S5, so they added adenosine to possibly decrease the chances of that happening. I think it's a money reason.

rcom440

Reaction score
1% adenosine? I'm not sure if I want that in my spironolactone. Next time I will buy s5 daytime only.

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
Both of the jars contain a new skin penetrating ingredient tocopheryl acetate. Otherwise, S5 daytime has the exact same ingredients as the regular S5 jars. The bedtime version has 1% adenosine instead of 1% caffeine. Adenosine is use to treat irregular heart beats. I don't know if they are afraid of someone being hospitalized because of S5, so they added adenosine to possibly decrease the chances of that happening. I think it's a money reason.

As I had emphasized before in other posts to no avail, spironolactone goes systemic even if applied topically, and "severity" depends on amount used. spironolactone is known to affect heartbeat due to excessive Potassium retention in blood. Potassium controls heart rhythm. Thus, excessive Potassium affects heart rhythm. People have reported either rapid heartbeats or irregular heartbeat with any form of spironolactone use. Irregular heartbeat results depending on how much spironolactone you have in blood and how much Potassium intake you had during the time spironolactone was in blood retaining it. Consequently, Potassium fluctuation affects heartbeat resulting in irregular rhythm. Reduce or avoid any Potassium intake while on spironolactone. Thus as you can see, the topical cream has now Adenosine to counter the possible spironolactone tachycardia systemic side effect. I hope this helps.

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
you are quite wrong The_Mentalist. The studies I have seen have shown a lack of a systematic effect when s5 is applied topically. I have even posted one on another thread in which they applied s5 to the backs of male participants and neither spironolactone or its metabolite were detectable in the blood on the participants.

rcom440

Reaction score
Ive been using spironolactone for 3 years but I never had problems with irregular heartbeat. I would feel it. But then again I'm wondering why would they add 1% Adenosine to S5 Bedtime? Maybe The_Mentalist is onto something.

- - - Updated - - -

Just did some research. They added Adenosine to S5 because there are some studies that shows it regrows hair. I still need to read them online. It has nothing to do with irregular heartbeat. It probably won't get to the bloodstream anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

here is that study:
http://www.folikul.com/Adenosine.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

other interesting article:
http://fasterhairgrowthpills.blogspot.com/2011/05/adenosine-new-alternative-for-hair-loss.html

- - - Updated - - -

But I'm wondering why they put Adenosine only in bedtime s5.

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
I gotta be honest, that before and after pic looks kind of pathetic. More importantly, that pic was probably of someone who was the best responder.

maggie99

Reaction score
In practice (doctor's that prescribe oral spironolactone), and the newest research has shown potassium overload/hyperkalemia to be a non-issue. It does not appear to present the risk that it was originally thought to pose--and even dietary restrictions aren't necessary.

Topical spironolactone will not then,--under any conditions--present this risk.

As far as the addition of adenosine--I like the idea. I don't think this is what the makers considered (though they might now claim it) but--topical spironolactone has shown to have an angiogenesis inhibitor effect. The outcome of this is unknown. But most would think that that is not a positive marker for hair growth. Anyhow, adenosine, promotes angiogenesis. So I like the combo.

But what an awful base--so greasy. And I can use all kinds of topicals and not have an issue. It's a shame they don't step it up a notch--use something better(then mineral oil).

rcom440

Reaction score
Topical spironolactone is quite popular among bodybuilders. I've never heard case of someone having problems with irregular rhythm because of spironolactone.
They put Adenosine in S5 spironolactone to promote hair growth.

rcom440

Reaction score
I think they still experimenting with it to see if it's effective. Just my guess. Please remember its absorbed locally unless you have some scratches or pimples on your scalp then it can reach bloodstreams.

rcom440

Reaction score
Yes I will be using it 2 times a day when my regular s5 runs out.