New Puretech Article Mentions Follica

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see any reason why the possible density should be less than your natural hair unless the nylon threads are necessary. That would limit the spacing of the germs. Hopefully they will be able to figure out a way to do it without them, and then we should be able to get full density.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see any reason why the possible density should be less than your natural hair unless the nylon threads are necessary. That would limit the spacing of the germs. Hopefully they will be able to figure out a way to do it without them, and then we should be able to get full density.
I believe one of the more recent patents detailed a solution to this problem. Either way, we can assume he has solved this problem considering it would be absurd to have 128 nylon threads in 1cm^2 of scalp.

Bill Sussman

My Regimen
Reaction score
over the course of the next 3-5 years, i'm sure they will figure out a way around this. here's to hoping for a good interview from tsuji.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd gladly take an additional 60 hair/cm squared, let alone 130.

Yeah me too.

Let's face it, 130 would be great. The judgement of other people thinking, "that guy's balding" would be gone. All possible from a small biopsy, too.

However, if there were a limit to what they could offer and it was below the average of 200-300 pcm2, I'd have to get my head round the fact that I would never again have the fullness of density I once had.

That would be a tough pill to swallow. I always link "the cure" with a full return to original density.

As long as this question mark remains, myself and others will keep thinking (and worrying) about the possible limitations to this treatment.

I think Dr. Tsuji could answer this in the next few days/hours. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score
So would 130 individual hair strands amount to approx 50-60 fu/cm2? Same as a mid-range sort of fue?

No reason to think they wod cap it arbitrarily at 130 (why would they?), but it is nonetheless noteworthy that he grew precisely 128 hairs on 1cm2 on the mouse and he added that this was the same density as the Japanese average.

It seems a little low to me even for populations with naturally lower hair density. I think the average is more likely around 200+ for most populations on earth. Probably 300+ in a good deal.

I would have rather seen 250 hairs packed onto our little mohawk mouse! Just to put the full potential of this beyond any doubt.

hair transplants are useful to educate the expectations of male pattern baldness sufferers, which are unrealistic sometimes.

My original density in donor is 80 uf/cm2 (60 in some parts of the sides). Average; not high, but ok for multiple transplants.
Exceptional donor densities goes up to 120 uf/cm2; i.e. 240-250 hair/cm2. Forget about 300/400 hair/cm2; those numbers are for cats.

My transplanted density is 50 at most, ~40 in other places.
Believe me: 50 uf/cm2 (i.e. ~100 hair/cm2) with anagen 6 thick hair shafts is really ok. It provides coverage, and it does not signal hairloss.

So, come Tsuji, come. I'm educated and ready to accept and enjoy your dense gifts!

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good find!

Follica.JPG

Are these the first legit pictures of Follica's efficacy? I don't remember seeing any before this. That looks great.

Edit: Swoop clarified these are from the Indian study that used needling and minoxidil.

Follica 2.JPG

This sounds good too especially considering this report was published in 2015 and @Xaser94 has found more recent documentation that states 2018 is still their goal.

Man I need a new treatment really bad but these are exciting times.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score

NorwoodGuardian

Established Member
Reaction score
Good find!

View attachment 42862
Are these the first legit pictures of Follica's efficacy? I don't remember seeing any before this. That looks great.

Edit: Swoop clarified these are from the Indian study that used needling and minoxidil.

View attachment 42861
This sounds good too especially considering this report was published in 2015 and @Xaser94 has found more recent documentation that states 2018 is still their goal.

Man I need a new treatment really bad but these are exciting times.

2018 is too late. I wish it will be available in 2017. Even one day is too long for baldies.

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
The more I see their device and the app, along with it more and more likely being bundled with minoxidil...I'm thinking what exactly is going to be the difference between what they do at the clinic sites, and what the stand alone device with minoxidil does differenty. We know the clinic is going to be for people more hard to treat cases as it was said in the documentation in the Follica thread I created, but I really am at a loss. I also am wondering if minoxidil would have to be used indefinitely. Since the wounding is creating the new hairs and minoxidil is just making them terminal, but would it be the same as just applying minoxidil on miniaturized hair. I am inclined to think no, since miniaturized hair has already been damaged by dht where as a new hair hasn't been exposed to the years of dht damage. Thoughts?

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The more I see their device and the app, along with it more and more likely being bundled with minoxidil...I'm thinking what exactly is going to be the difference between what they do at the clinic sites, and what the stand alone device with minoxidil does differenty. We know the clinic is going to be for people more hard to treat cases as it was said in the documentation in the Follica thread I created, but I really am at a loss. I also am wondering if minoxidil would have to be used indefinitely. Since the wounding is creating the new hairs and minoxidil is just making them terminal, but would it be the same as just applying minoxidil on miniaturized hair. I am inclined to think no, since miniaturized hair has already been damaged by dht where as a new hair hasn't been exposed to the years of dht damage. Thoughts?

If coupled with minoxidil, I wonder how they or the patient would be able to tell the difference between de novo hair and revived miniaturized hair. Significant difference obviously. In the Indian study I would guess all it is are revived miniturized hair and not actual follicle neogenesis.

Follica could piggyback on the temporary effect of minoxidil + wounding and revival of miniaturized hair and call that brand new hair follicles and a job well done.

If minoxidil had to be used indefinitely then that would obviously mean the new hair follicles didn't function normally. The de novo hair should be able to stand on their own two feet without a support crutch.

I get that a compound could be used at the beginning to make these new hairs terminal, but it should really only be temporary until the follicles have matured.

I still hope they use something other than minoxidil.

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
2018 is too late. I wish it will be available in 2017. Even one day is too long for baldies.

The only thing that will bridge us till Follica is maybe Brotzu's lotion, and a 2017 release for that is still pure speculation. As far as I know, there hasn't been any official word from Fidia about a release date. 2018 seems to be the earliest we will get a new approved treatment for hair loss in the US, and even that is looking like it will be using a pre approved indication for hair loss (minoxidil) to amplify the effects of wounding.

Maybe Brotzu's lotion plus Follicas device would be something interesting to look into. I really hope the topical isn't administered via the device unless the device isn't rigged to only accept minoxidil or the the topicals they specify to work with their app. I guess u could just leave it empty and then apply the topical on ur head ? Lol, but I have no basis for any of that.

I wonder if only the over the counter Follica device has a potential release of 2018 and not the clinic version. I'm not sure if they specified in the document and am too lazy to check right now. I can see them releasing Follica device with minoxidil in 2018, and waiting for a better topical for the clinic version.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The de novo/ follicle neogenesis element is what I want to know more about.

Clearly all the anecdotal and few clinical trials on derma-wounding have not actually created de novo follicles, right? I always thought derma-wounding just revived existing miniaturized hairs.

But Cots has always talked about actual follicle neogenesis and the creation of brand new follicles.

So for them to say their treatment is similar to the Indian study, which never claimed to achieve follicle neogenesis in the first place, is confusing.

NorwoodGuardian

Established Member
Reaction score
The only thing that will bridge us till Follica is maybe Brotzu's lotion, and a 2017 release for that is still pure speculation. As far as I know, there hasn't been any official word from Fidia about a release date. 2018 seems to be the earliest we will get a new approved treatment for hair loss in the US, and even that is looking like it will be using a pre approved indication for hair loss (minoxidil) to amplify the effects of wounding.

Maybe Brotzu's lotion plus Follicas device would be something interesting to look into. I really hope the topical isn't administered via the device unless the device isn't rigged to only accept minoxidil or the the topicals they specify to work with their app. I guess u could just leave it empty and then apply the topical on ur head ? Lol, but I have no basis for any of that.

I wonder if only the over the counter Follica device has a potential release of 2018 and not the clinic version. I'm not sure if they specified in the document and am too lazy to check right now. I can see them releasing Follica device with minoxidil in 2018, and waiting for a better topical for the clinic version.

And Histogen, Shiseido…
We need stuff bridge us till Tsuji, luckily we have several of them.
I have the lowest hope in Brotzu among them.