New Player (gemstone Biotherapeutics)

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
This new company is affiliated with John Hopkins so I do believe they are a serious player. Read on for more info.

Dr. Marc Dauer Brings Hair Restoration Experience to Gemstone Bio

Baltimore, Maryland (PRWEB) June 16, 2016

Gemstone Biotherapeutics LLC (Gemstone Bio), a Baltimore-based biotechnology company and pioneer in the field of regenerative medicine technologies for advanced wound care, announced the appointment of Dr. Marc Dauer, M.D. as a new advisor for Gemstone Bio.

Dr. Dauer is a world-renowned leader in modern hair restoration techniques, bringing over 15 years of experience understanding hair transplantation and hair loss. He is the medical director of Dauer Hair Restoration, where he focuses on follicular hair transplantation to achieve natural hair transplant results.

"Marc brings a deep understanding of hair restoration techniques. As a clinical advisor with significant expertise, he will provide Gemstone Bio with input that will assist and guide us as we assess the potential of our biosynthetic scaffold for hair restoration," said George Davis, CEO of Gemstone Bio. "As we move our platform technology forward, we continue to explore diverse potential applications."

"I am thrilled to be added as an advisor to Gemstone Bio and have the opportunity to incorporate their innovative technology into hair restoration techniques. I look forward to working closely with the team to explore new ways we can help patients who are struggling with hair loss," said Dauer.

Dr. Dauer graduated with honors from New York Medical College and trained in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery at UCLA Medical Center. He subsequently received special training in Hair Restoration and has been a published author in numerous medical publications in the practice area of hair transplantation. Dr. Dauer, located in Los Angeles, is also a Diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery, Diplomate of the National Board of Medical Examiners, and an active member of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery. Dr. Dauer is a teaching faculty member of the American Academy of Aesthetic Medicine, and routinely conducts teaching conferences around the world instructing hair transplant physicians in the art of Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation.

http://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/16/06/p8120127/gemstone-biotherapeutics-adds-new-advisor

Upon further research of Gemstone Biotherapeutics, I found a description of their scaffolding technology.

"Polymer-based scaffolds are extensively used in regenerative medicine applications because they provide a three-dimensional structure that simulates the native cell environment and extracellular matrix. Gemstone's first generation product is a novel biosynthetic scaffold for wound healing. Gemstone's scaffolds highly tunable, meaning they can easily be tailored for specific wound healing applications. The incorporation of active ingredients, including therapeutics, cells and growth factors, allow for continuous scaffold evolution."

http://www.gemstonebio.com/

I also found this study on their website (http://www.pnas.org/content/108/52/20976.abstract)

Abstract
Neovascularization is a critical determinant of wound-healing outcomes for deep burn injuries. We hypothesize that dextran-based hydrogels can serve as instructive scaffolds to promote neovascularization and skin regeneration in third-degree burn wounds. Dextran hydrogels are soft and pliable, offering opportunities to improve the management of burn wound treatment. We first developed a procedure to treat burn wounds on mice with dextran hydrogels. In this procedure, we followed clinical practice of wound excision to remove full-thickness burned skin, and then covered the wound with the dextran hydrogel and a dressing layer. Our procedure allows the hydrogel to remain intact and securely in place during the entire healing period, thus offering opportunities to simplify the management of burn wound treatment. A 3-week comparative study indicated that dextran hydrogel promoted dermal regeneration with complete skin appendages. The hydrogel scaffold facilitated early inflammatory cell infiltration that led to its rapid degradation, promoting the infiltration of angiogenic cells into the healing wounds. Endothelial cells homed into the hydrogel scaffolds to enable neovascularization by day 7, resulting in an increased blood flow significantly greater than treated and untreated controls. By day 21, burn wounds treated with hydrogel developed a mature epithelial structure with hair follicles and sebaceous glands. After 5 weeks of treatment, the hydrogel scaffolds promoted new hair growth and epidermal morphology and thickness similar to normal mouse skin. Collectively, our evidence shows that customized dextran-based hydrogel alone, with no additional growth factors, cytokines, or cells, promoted remarkable neovascularization and skin regeneration and may lead to novel treatments for dermal wounds.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good find! It always brightens my day to see more companies jumping on board

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Wounding sounds like a direction a lot of companies are looking into, but it looks like the topical or molecule used after wounding is going to be the difference mostly, but maybe I'm wrong.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Mice? Try it on a human first.