New NFL Season

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I am really looking forward to the new season that starts on Thursday but I've looked on the tv listings (Sky Sports) but there doesn't seem to be any coverage on it??? I really hope it isn't on ESPN because I don't have that channel :(

Anyway, I am going to the London game at Wembley Stadium between the Buccaneers and the New England Patriots for my first ever nfl game on 25th Oct so well looking forward to that! Anyone else going to that game?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bald Dave said:
Anyway, I am going to the London game at Wembley Stadium between the Buccaneers and the New England Patriots for my first ever nfl game on 25th Oct so well looking forward to that!

I do hope that this continued gradual exposure to football will help show the Brits that it's a MUCH more exciting sport than the boring-as-dishwater game of soccer. If they're ever finally able to learn the rules of football, how it's played, its goals, etc., I think they'll lose interest in soccer.

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just found out that Sky Sports will be showing live coverage of the NFL games so that has cheered me up :)

Bryan, I agree that the exposure of American football will help its popularity with the Brits. I think if more people understood the rules then they would enjoy this wonderful game! My favourite team is the Cowboys so hoepfully one day they should grace our British shores for some pig skin action :hump:

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Bryan, 'soccer' ain't a boar if u grew up wiv it. Had a game of footie every dry lunch break for a dozen years (with a tennis ball on concrete playground when the grass was off limits), as well as playing after school and during the holidays. Not once did I think to myself: gee, this is boring, if only there was a game in which one could pick up the ball and run with it - oh wait, there's rugby....

That said, I love me a bit of NFL. Not sure that it's more exciting that footie - in a 'keep you on the edge of your seat' sense - but as an adult I do appreciate its tactical nature. Plus there's the violence.........................

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I too like a bit of footie. Been a season ticket holder at Charlton for years now.

A sport i find really boring is cricket! I just don't get how anyone could enjoy watching this shite!

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
i know this might seem like a dumb question but could someone explain how a safety (2 points) is scored?

barcafan

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Bald Dave said:
Anyway, I am going to the London game at Wembley Stadium between the Buccaneers and the New England Patriots for my first ever nfl game on 25th Oct so well looking forward to that!

I do hope that this continued gradual exposure to football will help show the Brits that it's a MUCH more exciting sport than the boring-as-dishwater game of soccer. If they're ever finally able to learn the rules of football, how it's played, its goals, etc., I think they'll lose interest in soccer.

yeah, you're stupid.

HughJass

Reaction score
I don't know how NFL can actually qualify as football, do the beefcakes actually kick it?

So much padding you'd think you were watching a commercial for lady's sanitary goods.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
I don't know how NFL can actually qualify as football, do the beefcakes actually kick it?

Hell yes, they kick it!! After a scoring play, one side then kicks the ball to the other side. They also punt the ball to the other team, after the team with the ball runs out of downs. And they also try to score field goals from time to time, by kicking the ball through the uprights at the ends of the field.

aussieavodart said:
So much padding you'd think you were watching a commercial for lady's sanitary goods.

Yeah, there's kind of a very minor, insignificant reason for the padding: it's so that the players DON'T GET FREAKING KILLED during the game.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Much like a certain someone's postings on 'soccer'.

Mind you, aussie's not way out on the name: the foot isn't used in open play. Except for standing on. If football (our one) & rugby football didn't exist and the latter was then invented and named simply football by its creator, people would think what a bloody strange name for a sport where for so much of the time the ball is carried, and yet rugby has a hell of a lot more kicking than does US football.

Which only goes to prove that when I have time on my hands I sit and type meaningless drivel. Is there any other kind?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
Bryan, 'soccer' ain't a boar if u grew up wiv it.

No, neither is tiddlywinks.

The point I've been patiently making here for a long time is that football (American football) has soooo much more going for it than soccer. It has running, passing, punting, tackling, and kicking field goals; it has other strategies built into it (like "playing the clock") which are undreamed of in soccer. The sheer physicalness of football sets it completely apart from soccer. As the rest of the world continues to slowly learn and understand the game of football, it will inevitably displace soccer as the leading spectator sport.

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
Why do american football players use all that gear to protect themselves and rugby players dont? Arent both games similar?

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Slartibartfast said:
Bryan, 'soccer' ain't a boar if u grew up wiv it.
No, neither is tiddlywinks.
Plenty of folk used to play tiddlywinks as wee nippers but for very few did any level of interest persist beyond childhood. Basketball would be a more appropriate analogy.

Bryan said:
The point I've been patiently making here for a long time is that football (American football) has soooo much more going for it than soccer. It has running, passing, punting, tackling, and kicking field goals...
Rugby sees those and throws in scrums, rucks, line-outs, drop goals, up-and-unders.... I just don't see that the no. of ways a ball can be moved round the field/scored with dictates the quality of a sport.

Bryan said:
it has other strategies built into it (like "playing the clock") which are undreamed of in soccer.
Which is basically controlling how the game is played - its tempo. Which of course you see in footie. And contrary to what an untrained eye might see, there is method in the madness of how a team plays; you don't simply rush around the pitch like headless chickens.

Bryan said:
The sheer physicalness of football sets it completely apart from soccer.
Or: The sheer physicalness of rugby sets it completely apart from soccer. It's as if they're different games!

Bryan said:
As the rest of the world continues to slowly learn and understand the game of football, it will inevitably displace soccer as the leading spectator sport.
That's about as far from inevitable as one can get.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Ian Curtis said:
Why do american football players use all that gear to protect themselves and rugby players dont? Arent both games similar?
Nope, quite different. Contact in rugby is either in semi-static situations (scrums, rucks, etc) or via tackling, which is a radically different beast to how US football players tackle one another.

HughJass

Reaction score
Ian Curtis said:
Why do american football players use all that gear to protect themselves and rugby players dont?

it's what happens when you drink budweiser.

You turn into a buttercup.