New "KIT" patent from Follica------

Matt27

Established Member
Reaction score
Awesome!! That's exactly what I was hoping for, that they'd just license it to dermatologists! That's pretty crazy, they haven't even done human trials yet and they're already thinking about marketing and kits. They must be pretty damn confident about this whole thing.

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
F-ing nice. Thank you Follica. This is a good sign.

chancer

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow.. that was a hell of a lot of test... my intentions were to read it throughout.... but then i got lost in the science of it all...

do these licence kits mean we are a step closer? or is it just business sense of striking whilst the iron is hot and getting in there before other companies do, so it is exclusive to follica?

are we still 10 years away from this being readily available?

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow - good find. Its interesting to see that antiinflammatories and antihistamines have made it into the patent now - at least as a possibility.
Also interesting to see the emphasis on EGF inhibitors now rather than on the wnt pathway.
Also ectodysplasin, the growth factor of the week, is mentioned as a pathway that stimulates hair follcile neogenesis.
hh

iostream71

Reaction score
Theoretically, would one be able to create a hairline even where there never was originally hair(i.e., lower a naturally high hairline)? It seems like it would grow hair practically anywhere. If so, how would they control the shape of the hairline?

Matt27

Established Member
Reaction score
The hair growth would be controlled by wherever the dermabrasion was performed. You can lather whatever you want all over the place but if the skin was never wounded significantly there will be no effect.

Matt27

Established Member
Reaction score
Well if it works on humans how it did on the mice then yes, it would be just that simple :)

iostream71

Reaction score
I hope you wouldn't have to do dermabrasion, as that would be really expensive and pretty painful recovery.

Matt27

Established Member
Reaction score
It's not really that expensive. It's about a $600 to $700 treatment on your entire face. Maybe $1,200 for a NW6/7? It is painful but I think the surgeons who perform it usually prescribe pain killers for the first couple of days. And yes, you'd have to basically stay home and out of the sun etc. and do nothing for 2 weeks. It's not a pleasant process but considering the results I think it's well worth it. Many women do this just to try and reduce the wrinkles on their face.

iostream71

Reaction score
Hmm...I've read that a typical dermabrasion session can be in the several thousands because of the additional anesthesia/hospital fees. Maybe they can do the lesser micro version. This is potentially a costly procedure because some of those drugs in the patent are super expensive. But it sure beats a transplant.

JonnyX

Reaction score
Is it just me? This sounds like terrific news. Sounds like Follica knows that the procedure will work and that any doctor will be able to perform it. Now they are just making sure they will get royalties on it.

Matt27

Established Member
Reaction score
iostream71 said:
Hmm...I've read that a typical dermabrasion session can be in the several thousands because of the additional anesthesia/hospital fees. Maybe they can do the lesser micro version. This is potentially a costly procedure because some of those drugs in the patent are super expensive. But it sure beats a transplant.

You can definitely get them in the thousands, but that's because of the special creams and ointments that are applied during and after the actual dermabrasion. An esthetician friend of mine is assisting a surgeon today on a dermabrasion and the client is paying exactly $700 for it. I think her commission is $50 just for sitting in the room for 30 or 45 min. during the procedure lol.

chancer

Established Member
Reaction score
Dermabrasion painfull? come on now... it nothing compared to a serious wound.... hands up those who have done a slide tackle playing five a side football on astroturf?... dermabrasion at its best... ive lost count of the games ive some away with no skin on my knee's and blood trickling down my leg.... no problem... bring it on !!!!

iostream71

Reaction score
Matt27 said:
You can definitely get them in the thousands, but that's because of the special creams and ointments that are applied during and after the actual dermabrasion. An esthetician friend of mine is assisting a surgeon today on a dermabrasion and the client is paying exactly $700 for it. I think her commission is $50 just for sitting in the room for 30 or 45 min. during the procedure lol.

I guess it's like anything--you gotta shop around :hairy:

Still, not gonna get too excited since they haven't even tried this stuff in people yet. We've all be led down this path before.

scalpt

Reaction score
The patent for the kit is no longer on that link. The title still shows
the same "METHODS, KITS, AND COMPOSITIONS FOR GENERATING NEW HAIR FOLLICLES AND GROWING HAIR" but the text is a patent for a multi-user gaming environment.